House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

right_freds_dead

Cynical Moment Of Charity Madness

what is the point of contributing to research that produces anti cancer drugs, which then the government cant prescribe because they cost too much ?

what a waste of money.

i have about 5 charity direct debits. i think ill cancel them all.

im wondering if there is any point at all to this country anymore.

everythings corrupted and wrong. i am giving up my money to cancer research, while pharma companies take the research to produce drugs, which they sell on to our government at massive costs ? wheres glaxos charity ? im simply helping rich shareholders make oodles from health.

its smacks of the same rise to meet demand that the housing market reeked of last year.

whats the max people willpay for health ? OK - lets price it just slightly more than that.....that'll keep em hopping...

why should i give to that ?

thats NOT a charity.

a charity is something where people give, and the charity distributes to the poor -

can i have my research money back ?

what is the point of contributing to research that produces anti cancer drugs, which then the government cant prescribe because they cost too much ?

what a waste of money.

i have about 5 charity direct debits. i think ill cancel them all.

everythings corrupted and wrong. i am giving up my money to cancer research, while pharma companies take the research to produce drugs, which they sell on to our government at massive costs ? wheres glaxos charity ? im simply helping rich shareholders make oodles from health.

can i have my research money back ?

Any research has a chance to make existing drugs cheaper (intentionally or not).

my barnardos debit is probably helping pay for some non jobbers salary and the oxfam one probably goes on a new admin centre in baskingstoke somewhere.

they have become like the church.

stinking rich and living in a world of poverty handing out chastisment and godly tips for the masses while investing in drug companies and housing investments for profit.

they tricked me with the glossy tv cancer ads with stings accoustic 'fields of gold' playing to a backdrop of fading family members.

one things for sure.

"I shouldnt be here"

.....giving them my money if i cant get back the research im paying for.

Any research has a chance to make existing drugs cheaper (intentionally or not).

well that was the idea. though its turned out they demand big profits instead of progress.

my barnardos debit is probably helping pay for some non jobbers salary and the oxfam one probably goes on a new admin centre in baskingstoke somewhere.

they have become like the church.

stinking rich and living in a world of poverty handing out chastisment and godly tips for the masses while investing in drug companies and housing investments for profit.

they tricked me with the glossy tv cancer ads with stings accoustic 'fields of gold' playing to a backdrop of fading family members.

one things for sure.

"I shouldnt be here"

.....giving them my money if i cant get back the research im paying for.

well that was the idea. though its turned out they demand big profits instead of progress.

Think strategically.

Even if someone greedy grabs new technology at first,

it is going to leak to the general public over time.

Think about kidney transplant surgery.

Costs of kidney transplant have decreased remarkably

over last 20 years. I suppose, the same is likely to happen with

cancer treatment.

The Government are useless.

Your post is more likely to offend the Government Department for the Correct Use of Capital Letters, than it is influencing their health policy.

I've heard from doctor friends that some cancer charities can't even spend the money they receive - there just aren't enough scientists out there to do the research.

With any charity, like some churches etc, like the government in fact, they can get too big for their boots, and too far removed form the coal face.

It is important to search out decent charities and support ones you know. I support one charity I did a voluntary placement with in Lebanon a few years ago.

There's certainly a lot of "charity fatigue" out there, and this ain't new; apparently they were discussing the issue of excessive charity in Luther's day.

RFD - have you thought about the hospice movement? Or a local charity, doing something worthwhile with urchins?

Charity starts at home. Sorry do gooders. I do give all my old clothes to charity, but direct debit schemes have annoyed me for a while now. The blatant bleatings on a Sunday, when they know you are feeling vunerable from the night before, they only have to appeal to your empathy once, knowing you never get round to cancelling those bank instructions!

I have a cold heart! :ph34r:

I think you misunderstand why these drugs cost a massive amount. This is how it works:

1) Charity/Government support basic research into causes, both environmental and physical, of cancers. Thsi is relatively cheap.

2) Research discovers something which might help defeat a mechanism of cancer growth.

3) Drug companies then start concoting chemicals that may take advantage of this mechanism. We are talking thousands of chemicals here, which require very skilled chemists and advanced technical equipment to make. This costs alot.

4) Clinical trials then begin, usually in test tubes, to discover what works and what doesn't. Of the thousands of possible drugs, maybe a hundred will survive this stage. Again, expensive.

5) A second phase of trials begin, which will be on live tissue and animals - many chemicals will ahve side effects or not surviev a 'live' system. Maybe a handful of drugs will survive this. This is *very* expensive.

6) Finally, the drug will be tested on humans. Again, most, if not all of the remaining drugs will be eliminated. This is astoundingly expensive.

What the drug companies command the 'massive' price of the drug for is the cost of research. Every drug costs lieterally billions to bring to market, and even then it may get withdrawn (see Vioxx). Add to that drug companies only have 50 years in which to make back those billions before their patent expires.

Your money is helping. Don't stop funding research. Knowledge won't go away.

IMD

Every month I make an involuntary donation to charity of 1/3 of my income.

Because of this I am absolved of the moral responsibility to make any donations of my own volition.

I think you've hit on a key point. People get shed loads of theirmoney taken from them anyway, supposedly a lot of it for "good causes".

Of course, if you had the money you could almost certainly spend it better than the government ever could.

I think you misunderstand why these drugs cost a massive amount. This is how it works:

1) Charity/Government support basic research into causes, both environmental and physical, of cancers. Thsi is relatively cheap.

2) Research discovers something which might help defeat a mechanism of cancer growth.

3) Drug companies then start concoting chemicals that may take advantage of this mechanism. We are talking thousands of chemicals here, which require very skilled chemists and advanced technical equipment to make. This costs alot.

4) Clinical trials then begin, usually in test tubes, to discover what works and what doesn't. Of the thousands of possible drugs, maybe a hundred will survive this stage. Again, expensive.

5) A second phase of trials begin, which will be on live tissue and animals - many chemicals will ahve side effects or not surviev a 'live' system. Maybe a handful of drugs will survive this. This is *very* expensive.

6) Finally, the drug will be tested on humans. Again, most, if not all of the remaining drugs will be eliminated. This is astoundingly expensive.

What the drug companies command the 'massive' price of the drug for is the cost of research. Every drug costs lieterally billions to bring to market, and even then it may get withdrawn (see Vioxx). Add to that drug companies only have 50 years in which to make back those billions before their patent expires.

I dont understand why it's so expensive....i mean the pharmaceuticals have been making huge profits over the years. Yet when drugs that are available today cant even be afforded by the poorest nations in africa, for all sorts of treatable diseases as seen in rich nations, then this is pure capitalism and all that matters is the balance sheet for them ( the Pharmas). A disgrace.

And even when there are copycat drugs being made available, it then calls in lawyers etc to waste millions in lawsuits for patent rights being violated.

Pathetic..

I dont understand why it's so expensive....i mean the pharmaceuticals have been making huge profits over the years. Yet when drugs that are available today cant even be afforded by the poorest nations in africa, for all sorts of treatable diseases as seen in rich nations, then this is pure capitalism and all that matters is the balance sheet for them ( the Pharmas). A disgrace.

And even when there are copycat drugs being made available, it then calls in lawyers etc to waste millions in lawsuits for patent rights being violated.

Pathetic..

There is a very simple reason why the drugs are expensive to produce - s

tandards of living that you and me everyone here enjoy.

You can not outsource R&D department to India or Malaysia so far,

so you have to pay your staff to maintain their standards of living

they are accustomed to, inclusive their mortgages. 70% of operating

costs of an average company are labour costs.

Now, you want cheap drugs for everybody – first thing you have to do

is accept a lower wage. Would you be ready to do that?

everythings corrupted and wrong. i am giving up my money to cancer research, while pharma companies take the research to produce drugs, which they sell on to our government at massive costs ? wheres glaxos charity ?

Sir Henry Wellcome set up the Wellcome Trust, you may remember them for the non-profit Sanger Institute and decoding of the genome. There's also the GSK Foundation.

Drug companies spend about half their budgets on marketing mind...

Again....marketing drugs for cures of major life threatening diseases!!!!... breaking new frontiers yes but.....that really is pathetic.....making money/huge profit at the expense of human mankinds health.

The sooner the major pharmacies embrace the generic copies of rivals and help the poorest the better.

Why is the West going on about wiping third world debt....come on...getting those much needed medicines to the needy is equally as important....

Guest rigsby II

everythings corrupted and wrong. i am giving up my money to cancer research, while pharma companies take the research to produce drugs, which they sell on to our government at massive costs ? wheres glaxos

Come on Fred, snap out of it me old love. :)

It's expensive because there's huge amounts of failure. The scenarios I describe above explain that. I'm not joking when I say each drug costs billions to develop. R&D costs are huge, and it's not just labour costs, it's equipment, complex chemicals, difficult synthesis ... trust me, I wanted to do Pharma research but couldn't get in, and making 100% pure chemical fit to go in a human system is astoundingly difficult.

Pathetic..

You miss the point about them having to recover their costs. You say all that matters is the balance sheet. Well, duh! If the companies collapse, the research facilities funding will dry up and there'll be no more drugs. Howver I do agree they should be less protective in poorer countries, or provide supplies at lower costs. But then you get people in richer countries up in arms that someone is getting a better deal than them.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the original post... basic research, which is funded by the charities, adds to the pool of knowledge about disease and benefits everyone.

Well just to prove there is some social justice within our capitalist society, Bill Gates's charitable foundation does quite a bit to support the prevention and treatment of diseases in developing countries.

linky

So just think, you're actually helping the third world simply by nattering away all day on your computer. ;)

It's expensive because there's huge amounts of failure. The scenarios I describe above explain that. I'm not joking when I say each drug costs billions to develop. R&D costs are huge, and it's not just labour costs, it's equipment, complex chemicals, difficult synthesis ... trust me, I wanted to do Pharma research but couldn't get in, and making 100% pure chemical fit to go in a human system is astoundingly difficult.

You miss the point about them having to recover their costs. You say all that matters is the balance sheet. Well, duh! If the companies collapse, the research facilities funding will dry up and there'll be no more drugs. Howver I do agree they should be less protective in poorer countries, or provide supplies at lower costs. But then you get people in richer countries up in arms that someone is getting a better deal than them.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the original post... basic research, which is funded by the charities, adds to the pool of knowledge about disease and benefits everyone.

RFD quoted:

"what is the point of contributing to research that produces anti cancer drugs, which then the government cant prescribe because they cost too much ?

what a waste of money."

Now,...i agree that the cost to get a successful drug into the population is high. But how high...?

Those costs are now deemed too high for a british govt. What chance anyone( nations) else for that matter.

Why so high? as too high for Govt cash. Maybe there are competitiors out there who are cheaper....I mean It nearly is a monopoly as far as Pharmaceuticals are concerned. Hence the price rigging just like the OPEC

Well just to prove there is some social justice within our capitalist society, Bill Gates's charitable foundation does quite a bit to support the prevention and treatment of diseases in developing countries.

its probably a tax writeoff. how can a man who steals an operating system, tries to crush all browser competition and aims for an os monopoly charitably minded ?

its a show.

..and back on pharmacom -

if the r&d is so high the 4th largest economy cant buy the end product - whats the point of the research.?

its smacks of the same rise to meet demand that the housing market reeked of last year.

whats the max people willpay for health ? OK - lets price it just slightly more than that.....that'll keep em hopping...

why should i give to that ?

thats NOT a charity.

a charity is something where people give, and the charity distributes to the poor -

If you think to hard about the woe's of this country / the world you will get an unshakable dislike for people. All boils down to people and thier greed. Its the way we are.

If you think to hard about the woe's of this country / the world you will get an unshakable dislike for people. All boils down to people and thier greed. Its the way we are.

100% true.

though it feels like its getting into every single nook and cranny of your life. housing, health, taxes. im sick of queueing in the post office along with a mostly benefit claiming populace, most housed better than me. and if its not on benefits its working non jobs.

is it only me paying the vat ?

if its true, and i think it is, the solution is to cut them off. cancel charities and play no part in public debarkles. only, if i did that. how could i cry at pricess dianas funeral.?

its like living in one giant dysfunctional family.

the osbournes has nothing on this.