House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speak&Spell

Financing Your Dream Car

Okay, I can't believe everyone on this forum is a complete scrooge saving up for a house deposit. There must be some car nuts on here who have taken the plunge and financed a dream motor at some point. If so, what car did you get, how much monthly did it cost you, and did you opt for a personal loan, HP or PCP? Any regrets? Or was it living the dream and a great time in your life?

I thought I'd already posted this but I can't see my original post, so apologies if this is a duplicate. I can't imagine every HPC'er is the stingy penny pinching type, who only saves towards a large cash deposit for a home. Therefore I'm wondering how many of you car fanatics have financed a fun and money hungry car to get it out of your system. If this applies to you I have a few questions.

What car did you get?

How much were your monthly repayments if financed?

Did you fund it using a HP, private loan, PCP or cash?

Did it bring the biggest smile to your face?

What are your thoughts in hindsight about going for it?

It has been a longtime dream for me to do it before 30 and before thinking about kids. Finally that time has come. I know it's a money pit, but I also know I'll regret not doing it.

The cheapest way to finance a new car is to, err, save for one.

No argument with that but when I buy a car I do borrow for it, making sure that the deal has no penalties for early repayment and then pay it off after a couple of months just to keep up some sort of credit record. Don't honestly know if it does me any good but seems like a good idea.

A dream car is very much a luxury item that should be saved for. I'd only bother with any sort of car finance if you haven't had time to save and really need something that isn't a complete banger. Edit: Or do Rarebear's way if you want, but I put that in "saving for it" for all practical purposes, and is the only reason I use a credit card (well, that and the extra protection).

Edit: Scrub that, have dinner with Susanna Reid, that might be just perfect. :)

You'd have thought that going to the cinema with her wouldn't be forgettable either...

My dream car doesnt exists yet.

I'll second this, i will have my dream car in a couple of years, but its not a production model i'm going to build it myself, i wont be getting any sort of finance on any part of it. I will save up for each part when i need to.

Total cost? Havent got a clue. But if i can do it for less than £10k i think i will be on to a winner

Myself and wife went for a VW Scirocco as something a bit different before we have kids. Once sprogs arrive I suspect we will trade it for a golf. Wouldn't mind a Porsche or something but I'll leave that for mid life crisis.

I'm a thoroughly predictable HPC hardliner. I've never bought a car or anything else on credit (except the house on a mortgage, paid off as quickly as inhumanly possible).

If you havent got the money, you cant afford it. Terribly old fashioned i know.

BK (Before Kids) I splurged on what for me at the time was my dream car, a Volvo 480. Ex-company car, end of lease, bought cash. I drove it round the clock for the best part of a decade, learning, as I did, how shallow and transitory the whole dream car illusion is.

I don't think you will have too many takers on this site. :lol:

I quite like these both. However I imagine they would break down enough to annoy me and also they are 'classics' so not exactly cheap either. Love the looks though.

M6

2280030.jpg

Audi Quattro

1981-audi-quattro-13_460x0w.jpg

No - it's not. Not for a depreciating asset. Use someone else's money for that.

Car prices are a matter of opinion, whereas the debt is real.

Coming back to this, as I'm looking for a new car, most dealers really try to push the monthly repayment figures down your throat - i.e. when I rang one dealership they asked what monthly payment I was looking to spend. Unless I can get interest only, like my sofas, I aint bothering with finance!

P.s. I'm in neg equity with my sofas. Opps.

Not done it personally (unless you count building a kit car a few years back.. but not exactly mega bucks).

I have a friend who took out a £30k loan to buy a second hand Ferrari 348 a couple of years back.

He kept it for 2 years then managed to sell it for a few thousand more than he paid.. so after tax MOT fuel etc just about broke even. Jammy git.

Okay, I can't believe everyone on this forum is a complete scrooge saving up for a house deposit. There must be some car nuts on here who have taken the plunge and financed a dream motor at some point. If so, what car did you get, how much monthly did it cost you, and did you opt for a personal loan, HP or PCP? Any regrets? Or was it living the dream and a great time in your life?

28294_121536007875923_100000585740357_201573_2269644_n.jpg

28294_121536724542518_100000585740357_201576_5185505_n.jpg

bought it 2 years ago. (still have it)

saved like mad for a house saved up a good chunk and got a place with a 2nd bedroom. I skipped out the flat stage and went straight for a 2 bed semi. With that i rent out a room and the rent pays for the loan for the car. The car is fantastic to drive and iv had many a brilliant road trips in it. Now these are not know for their reliability so it has cost alot to run. Cheap to insure though. I realise i could be overpaying my mortgage however im young...ish. Life is not about paying a mortgage and whats the point in having a crazy car when your 40-50 stuck with kids and a moaning wife about how you spend your money.

I'm a thoroughly predictable HPC hardliner. I've never bought a car or anything else on credit (except the house on a mortgage, paid off as quickly as inhumanly possible).

If you havent got the money, you cant afford it. Terribly old fashioned i know.

BK (Before Kids) I splurged on what for me at the time was my dream car, a Volvo 480. Ex-company car, end of lease, bought cash. I drove it round the clock for the best part of a decade, learning, as I did, how shallow and transitory the whole dream car illusion is.

+1 Good post, General

bought it 2 years ago. (still have it)

saved like mad for a house saved up a good chunk and got a place with a 2nd bedroom. I skipped out the flat stage and went straight for a 2 bed semi. With that i rent out a room and the rent pays for the loan for the car. The car is fantastic to drive and iv had many a brilliant road trips in it. Now these are not know for their reliability so it has cost alot to run. Cheap to insure though. I realise i could be overpaying my mortgage however im young...ish. Life is not about paying a mortgage and whats the point in having a crazy car when your 40-50 stuck with kids and a moaning wife about how you spend your money.

Is that a Noble M12?

One I've always wanted (and will get one day) is a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2..pushing best part of £25k for a top notch one...

I have heard of two cases where a bloke has bought a car over a flat (one a Ferrari, and the other a TiTty(?))

NIce quick, v. Quick. :D Hat Tip for living the dream. :D

I constantly pass the Ariel factory...never seen one outside...shite off the proverbial shovel...

NIce quick, v. Quick. :D Hat Tip for living the dream. :D

I quite like this

im in the fortunate situation that my best mate has one. as such we sometimes drive each others.

198689_245884198767288_100000371282268_858653_4507166_n.jpg

m4rk if you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living? You seem to be much better off than the average HPC regular. And most regulars are much better off than the average man in Britain from what I can see :lol:

Car prices are a matter of opinion, whereas the debt is real.

:no:

If you're doing it for shits and giggles, do it on car finance, you'll know what it costs to get in, and you'll know what it costs to get out. Because car prices are a matter of opinion the risk will lie with the lender, not you.

im in the fortunate situation that my best mate has one. as such we sometimes drive each others.

198689_245884198767288_100000371282268_858653_4507166_n.jpg

Wow. They so look so much fun, respect m4rk.

Wow. They so look so much fun, respect m4rk.

+2

I went through the fast motor phase about 10 years ago. I owned a gorgeous TVR Chimera for a while, which went like s**t off a shovel (except in the wet, when it went like diahorrea through some undies). It became increasingly expensive to own, and the places I could really drive it got fewer and fewer. Nowadays with the volume of traffic, speed cameras everywhere, the ever-deterioating state of the roads and the cost of fuel I can't see the point of a flash fast car. If it was a dream aircraft however.... cor!.... :)

Diamond_DA40_large.jpg

Why did you start your post with 'Okay'?

Financing your dream car.....I do have a dream car, but it can stay a dream simply cause it is nice to dream about it, and look forward to maybe owning it, what would spoil it is if I had to use finance to purchase it.....which leads on to, how long do people keep their dream cars once they get them? do they tire of them and sell them before they have paid for them? or do they love and cherish them forever? or does that dream turn into a nightmare.....or does a new dream come along? ;)