House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Failed Fire Project Wasted £469M, Says Committee Of Mps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14974552

A project to set up nine regional control centres for fire and rescue services in England was a "complete failure" and wasted £469m, MPs say.

The public accounts committee said the FiReControl scheme had not achieved any of its objectives and that eight of the centres were empty "white elephants".

The plan to replace 46 smaller control rooms was scrapped in December 2010.

Fire Minister Bob Neill said Labour must be held accountable for the "comprehensive failure".

Margaret Hodge, who chairs the MPs' committee, said the project had been "flawed from the outset" and one of the worst wastes of public money for many years.

"The taxpayer has lost nearly half a billion pounds and eight of the completed regional control centres remain as empty and costly white elephants."

She said the project - launched in 2004 by the Labour government - had been terminated in 2010 "with none of the original objectives achieved and a minimum of £469m being wasted".

Harsh words but still it's only taxpayer cash plenty more where that came from.

And the figure could be a lot higher. Still no MP will ever be held accountable for it, zero moral hazard for troughers.

And the figure could be a lot higher. Still no MP will ever be held accountable for it, zero moral hazard for troughers.

hello? general election?

In a case like this you need to follow the money.

Numerous private sector firms have made millions out of this, and without having to actually deliver anything that works... I would start looking at the biggest beneficiaries and then which MPs and civil servants they have ties with. A bit like the Edinburgh trams project, when you get apparent incompetence on this scale, it's not possible to imagine the participants being able to dress themselves in the morning, never mind find their way to work. The only conclusion left is deliberate fraud.

hello? general election?

General election is rigged. It doesnt matter what I vote as most people in my area will vote Tory come what may. People vote in general due to what their parents did or some other equal silly factor. The electorate are stupid.

Numerous private sector firms have made millions out of this, and without having to actually deliver anything that works... I would start looking at the biggest beneficiaries and then which MPs and civil servants they have ties with. A bit like the Edinburgh trams project, when you get apparent incompetence on this scale, it's not possible to imagine the participants being able to dress themselves in the morning, never mind find their way to work. The only conclusion left is deliberate fraud.

Absolutely, follow the money.

Why do you need regional centres, the fire station in your area deals with your fire and rescues you.

Labour are scum, that money could have been used to build new houses for working families unable to afford property due to hpi.

Why do you need regional centres, the fire station in your area deals with your fire and rescues you.

Labour are scum, that money could have been used to build new houses for working families unable to afford property due to hpi.

If there is a big fire in your area that ties up all the local resources, then they have to call in crew from other nearby stations to cover for any future calls. That's the justification, but they manage it at the moment anyway.

The empty buildings cost the taxpayer £4m every month to maintain, the committee heard.

From the BBC article, £4m a month!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/20/fire-service-reorganisation-500m-failure

It warns that finally getting the system working properly is likely to cost an additional £85m.

The damning report – published following an investigation and hearings by the committee this summer – says that the concept of abolishing 46 local fire and rescue control rooms and reorganising them into nine regional control centres was flawed from the start. The FiReControl project was launched too quickly with insufficient consultation, it is claimed.

The committee also says a contract for designing, developing and installing an IT infrastructure was awarded three years late, to European Air and Defence Systems, now Cassidian, a company with no experience of dealing with emergency services. The project's development was heavily reliant on advice from PA Consulting, whose services alone cost £42m.

Nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PA_Consulting_Group

http://www.paconsulting.com/

With the taxpayer left picking up the bill yet again.

The Govt. need to stop getting involved in anything as they, or rather the taxpayers, get taken to the cleaners each and every time.

These idiots couldn't even run a lemonade stand successfully.

Edited by MrFlibble

Did anybody actually ask the Fire Brigades what they wanted?

The reason that I ask is that there is a new breed of Civil servant/Manager type prevalent today, full of gobbledegook phrases such as 'Pathway,' 'Horizons' etc.

The NHS is full of them, all with degrees but no hands on experience at anything.

Their function is to investigate and report. Naturally, they never come back and say,

'Everything is just fine, leave it alone.'

No, they have to justify themselves with some huge pie in the sky ideas.

Also, new CEO's Chief Managers etc. have to have a re-organisation, even if the last one has not yet been completed.

They know that they will only be with the organisation for 3-4 years, so they give the appearance of great energy, turn everything topsy turvy, then leave before their total incompetence becomes apparent.

Of course it never does. Just as the first fruits of their changes can be expected, in comes another waster who, guess what, has a re-organisation!

Private Eye's been following this for ages.

Another example of slick salesmanship by management and IT consultants.

These people are ticks who have embedded themselves into our public life, and have only one motive - extracting as much money as possible from the UK taxpayer.

The more confusion and layers of management they introduce, the more future revenue they guarantee for themselves.

The good old revolving door helps keep the party going.

Another sad result of the replacement of the ethos of civil service with the ethos of self service.

Why on earth would anyone do that? That would suggest that someone came up with the idea in order to improve the Fire Brigade, not to "support business" and to build some shiny new buildings that look impressive (no-one's interested in the nitty-gritty of what has to go on inside these buildings, they just have to look "modern" and "efficient" and all that crap). Just as with the new school and hospital buildings.

The reason that I ask is that there is a new breed of Civil servant/Manager type prevalent today, full of gobbledegook phrases such as 'Pathway,' 'Horizons' etc.

The NHS is full of them, all with degrees but no hands on experience at anything.

Their function is to investigate and report. Naturally, they never come back and say,

'Everything is just fine, leave it alone.'

No, they have to justify themselves with some huge pie in the sky ideas.

Also, new CEO's Chief Managers etc. have to have a re-organisation, even if the last one has not yet been completed.

They know that they will only be with the organisation for 3-4 years, so they give the appearance of great energy, turn everything topsy turvy, then leave before their total incompetence becomes apparent.

Of course it never does. Just as the first fruits of their changes can be expected, in comes another waster who, guess what, has a re-organisation!

there is a name for this ******....Diversity.

Another example of slick salesmanship by management and IT consultants.

These people are ticks who have embedded themselves into our public life, and have only one motive - extracting as much money as possible from the UK taxpayer.

The more confusion and layers of management they introduce, the more future revenue they guarantee for themselves.

The good old revolving door helps keep the party going.

Another sad result of the replacement of the ethos of civil service with the ethos of self service.

Indeed.

Labour are scum, that money could have been used to build new houses for not collected as tax from working families unable to afford property due to hpi.

There, corrected for you. Better they chose how to spend their own money, rather than the government build houses for them.

Edited by leicestersq

If there is a big fire in your area that ties up all the local resources, then they have to call in crew from other nearby stations to cover for any future calls. That's the justification, but they manage it at the moment anyway.

yeah, a phone call costs 5p.

hello? general election?

Do you think any significant number of the electorate of any of the MPs concerned are going to remember (of for that matter, even be aware of this) come election time? Even if by some miracle it was an issue, I'm sure some other more important (non)issue can be whipped up to divert attention from it.

General election is rigged. It doesnt matter what I vote as most people in my area will vote Tory come what may. People vote in general due to what their parents did or some other equal silly factor. The electorate are stupid.

What a *****y thing to say, who the he'll are you?

the project - launched in 2004 by the Labour government - had been terminated in 2010 "with none of the original objectives achieved and a minimum of £469m being wasted".

The empty buildings cost the taxpayer £4m every month to maintain, the committee heard.

What a waste of taxpayers money. It's what comes when you run the country with a mind that good housekeeping with finances doesn't matter.

"PA Consulting Group has the detailed knowledge and experience to help governments around the world meet the fundamental challenges posed by the current economic crisis.

We understand that governments have to meet the needs of increasingly demanding citizens, who want services that are easily accessible, joined-up and respond to their individual circumstances. Yet they are also facing budget deficits and cost constraints. That makes it vital that policy decisions are underpinned by a clear understanding of how they can be implemented and whether they will deliver the right outcome"

http://www.paconsulting.com/industries/government-and-public-services/

Just another GLOBAL NWO entity operating out of London! :rolleyes:

Compare rewards for failures - Blair style

In 2007, PA Consulting won the MCA Management Award for more than 10 years of excellence in working with clients. In the last nine years, PA reaped more than 30% of all the top awards in the consulting industry.

One example

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has blamed a private contractor for losing the details of thousands of criminals, held on a computer memory stick.

Ms Smith said the government had held the data securely but PA Consulting appeared to have downloaded it, contrary to the rules of its contract.

She told the BBC it was "completely unsatisfactory" and an inquiry was under way. The firm had no comment.

The Tories have accused ministers of a "massive failure of duty".

How much has the change to 101 cost taxpayers (for the police)

Costs 15p flat rate for the call -

our local number is available still but I assume it'll stop at some point.

The 101 will mean I will ring from my mobile if I wanted to report something maybe now - I wouldn't in the past I'd wait til I got home and use the landline for non emergency stuff obviously.

Heard 2 separate news items about government spending this morning.

1. The war in Libya cost £212 million

2. Labour's failed NHS IT project is expected to cost £11billion without delivering.

i.e. we could have afforded about 55 wars in Libya for the cost of just one of Labour's failed grand projects.

(some might say it is a 'good thing' to spend the money before people become tempted to wage war - I'm just pointing out the astonishing relative sizes of the figures.)

£212million?...I guess we only dropped about a 100 bombs @$50,000 each, plus all the aircraft time, thousands of staff.