House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

The Heathrow Pod - A British Invention!

Whisks business travellers around the airport automatically - so that they're not late for that all-important ogling at a lapdance club

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/09/19/uk-futuristic-pods-whisk-travellers-arou-idUKLNE78I00P20110919

Let's hope this "British Invention" has learnt from the mistakes of its cousins in Irving, West Virginia, Jacksonville, Detroit, and Miami.

Yawn boring. Nothing but a novelty value here. Everyone will think they're cool in the first year, that they used the pods. And boring idiots in boring offices will bore you stupid as you overhear their boring conversation about their boring office trip where they used these boring "pod things" and the boring stock reply: "oh yea I heard about them" and that stupid boring office laugh that people do when talking about boring things like this.

Not impressed; sorry.

Let's hope this "British Invention" has learnt from the mistakes of its cousins in Irving, West Virginia, Jacksonville, Detroit, and Miami.

Exceeded bandwidth? Just getting a cartoon pic when I click on all those links

Yes but in a practical sense what Google has designed and built and has driving on the roads of nevada trumps this. Google have taken cars cruise control to a whole new level imo, forget Volvos crash avoidance or Mercs radar control cruise, google car is the no1.

Besides once Google car hits the UK, watching traffic cop programs will become a thing of the past, as speeding will be a thing of the past along with other things traffic cops do. Sure they will be needed for a transistional phase, but controlling the countries transport infrastructure from trains, planes, taxis etc will be done by computer. It means much reduce need for oil for starters, you will be surprised at how much oil will be saved, people wont own cars so more money to pay the mortgage and expensive food for example. You will do your work as you are transported into work when you have to travel for example.

So yes the above is good but its a bloody small step imo. But we do have one advantage up our sleeves which I wont elaborate on, so all is not lost. :D

I do hope not, driving is one of the last bits of freedom we have (on an open road)

Yawn boring. Nothing but a novelty value here. Everyone will think they're cool in the first year, that they used the pods. And boring idiots in boring offices will bore you stupid as you overhear their boring conversation about their boring office trip where they used these boring "pod things" and the boring stock reply: "oh yea I heard about them" and that stupid boring office laugh that people do when talking about boring things like this.

Not impressed; sorry.

I admire the inventor and wish him well, but I was being sarcastic with the thread, what I meant was that we're still doing eccentric or niche stuff rather than making blockbuster products. I think the only area we are big in is pharma.

Exceeded bandwidth? Just getting a cartoon pic when I click on all those links

I do hope not, driving is one of the last bits of freedom we have (on an open road)

I admire the inventor and wish him well, but I was being sarcastic with the thread, what I meant was that we're still doing eccentric or niche stuff rather than making blockbuster products. I think the only area we are big in is pharma.

I thought trains were invented in the 1700's

Hmm. Not sure why that happened. I can't find the site that had all the photos of the transit pods in those cities, but here's a Wikipedia page with some photos and lists of where the pods are used around the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit

Thanks, I suppose pod passengers will be nicknamed peas in due course, I am turning into such an anorak even thinking up such things, I will seek help yes :D

Read the article damnit. The thing runs along a track, it's just like a mini tram. Completely stupid. You may aswell make it a proper train.

Complete gimmick. When I see things like this I wonder if Britain will ever be great again, about the only real thing we have left is biotechnology, we have some nanotechnology and companies like ARM but the first two come from mostly university research and as for ARM they are very much a worldwide company these days much like BP etc.

Japan and the US seem to be leading the way with technology these days, Britain will never be like it was. I think it has something to do with a cultural problem in our society we seem to prefer to screw eachother over than invent things, in fact our society seems similar to China as they do that too.

so let me get this straight

you sit in an aircraft for up to 12 hours , then you sit in this thing and it takes you around the airport

no wonder there is an obesity epidemic

you sit in an aircraft for up to 12 hours , then you sit in this thing and it takes you around the airport

Yes. If only people would walk instead of taking long haul flights.

No, this is a replacement for the bus to take you to the carpark.

Yes. If only people would walk instead of taking long haul flights.

Just think how much fuel you could save if you put the passengers on treadmills to turn the propellers.

Given that Heathrow is one of the worst airports in the world (Frankfurt is about the only one I dislike more) it's about time they made travelling between terminals easier.

Just think how much fuel you could save if you put the passengers on treadmills to turn the propellers.

In the realm of the physically possible - just think how much fuel you would save if you forced passengers to work out on treadmills for a couple of weeks before getting on the planes.

Given that Heathrow is one of the worst airports in the world (Frankfurt is about the only one I dislike more) it's about time they made travelling between terminals easier.

Nothing can match the awfulness of Charles de Gaulle Terminal 1. No building has ever been more deserving of being called a carbuncle.

cdgterminal1.jpg