House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

What Downturn? House Prices Rise By £100 Each Week As Confidence Returns To Property Market

The Wail

The cost of homes in Britain has soared since the start of this year by approximately £100 a week, new research has revealed.

Property experts analysed more than a million homes and found that in almost every part of the UK prices have risen by an average of 1.7 per cent or £3,667 since January.

The positive news will come as a relief to homeowners, many of whom have been left in negative equity as the value of their properties collapsed since the recession.

Excellent ramping, properties prices increasing great news for those with no money.

Considering Ive posted a couple of fair comments under the article, which have been censored by the Wail Mods, I will point out the property interests of the Daily Mail on here instead:

The Daily Mail General Trust Companies include:

Primelocation.com [Bought by the Mail in 2005 for £48million]

Findaproperty.com

Digitalpropertygroup.com

Villarenters.com.......

I wonder how much land the Chairman of DMGT owns.....?

Harold Jonathan Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere

'Explanatory' bearish comments are not allowed on their site.........They mainly allow comments like, 'House Prices need to come down!'

They must believe their readers are thick?

Edited by Milton

Since I always look for the non-conspiracy argument first, it should be said no one sells newspapers by telling their readers they are mugs and losing money on their precious houses. Papers sell what reader want.

Since I always look for the non-conspiracy argument first, it should be said no one sells newspapers by telling their readers they are mugs and losing money on their precious houses. Papers sell what reader want.

Well if this is the case - perhaps they may want to start listening to what appears to be a growing majority of readers (Of most newspapers online articles I read) who want house prices to come down..;)

They just want to sell papers. The Express has been doing it for a long time. These 'survey articles' are just another source of free advertising to the proponents. The Express has probably been stealing readership with their price for daily and Sunday papers now markedly less than the Mail.

I've just bought some old rope for 50p. In a year's time I will put it up for sale at £1. I won't sell it of course but by the DMs curious logic, I should be 'relieved' that it has doubled in price. To potential buyers, I would say ignore what the mainstream press are saying. Do your own research and visit sites like houseprice crash, homebuyers' strike facebook group, priced out etc as these genuinely have first-time buyers' interests at heart and don't just see you as fodder to prop up the great british housing pyramid scheme.

- Sibley, Ting Tong, Thailand, 19/9/2011

:lol:

Edited by Milton

I suppose their target audience is made up of BTLers and people who have borrowed to much money and bought at the peak. They are firmly in denial when presented with 'doom and gloom' news reports about the economy and housing market so prefer to read the Daily Mail and escape a fantasy world of eternally rising house prices and low mortgage payments. 'Doom and gloom' is an interesting little phrase, a though terminating cliche to minimise all negative information, packing it away in a little envelope that you can hide behind the bread bin.

If the Daily Mail was talking up share prices where it had a vested interest in doing so, to its ever-so gullible readership, it would probably face the wrath of the toothless Press Complaints Commission and the financial regulatory authorities.

The Wail

Excellent ramping, properties prices increasing great news for those with no money.

I expect there is rather more to it than this.

Firstly, inflation is at around 4% - 5%, if house prices aren't keeping up with this then they are falling in real terms. OK, most peoples incomes aren't keeping up with inflation either at the moment so there is that.

Secondly, in many parts of the country house prices are not only falling in real terms but in actual terms too. Property prices are still rising in posh parts of London, this is skewing the figures. There are a number of reasons for this. Only the mega-wealthy can buy in posh parts of London and the mega-wealthy are pretty much immune to the effects of recessions, for the bankers for example there is no recession and big bonuses are back. Foreign investors are also taking advantage of the weak British Pound to buy property in central London, but with few local people to underpin the market, property in central London might turn out to be the biggest housing bubble of them all.

The article is not very specific and I suspect it refers to ASKING prices, in which case it's meaningless. Couldn't find anything on FindaProperty to justify the claims: maybe they haven't published the press release yet.