House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chuffy Chuffnell

House For £5K

Looks like no one has lived there for years...I dread to think what the inside looks like.

I guess that it will go for 3 x its guide price if it does sell.:unsure: Maybe even higher.

Looks like no one has lived there for years...I dread to think what the inside looks like.

I guess that it will go for 3 x its guide price if it does sell.:unsure: Maybe even higher.

I've spent more on alcohol in the last 5-6 years than £15k though.. :lol:

I have this strange itching to become a slumlord, but I know it'll kill me. Literally.

I have this strange itching to become a slumlord, but I know it'll kill me. Literally.

It's normally the tenants that experience the strange itching.

I lost my deposit on one place because they claimed my dog had fleas- what impressed me most was how knew my dog's fleas from the host of other bugs infesting the place. :lol:

This house reminds me of a BBC Top Gear item where Jeremy Clarkson drove the stunning Alfa Romeo 166. He took it to the former colliery village Hemsworth in West Yorkshire and looks at a house that was then up for auction with a guide price of £7,000.

Gets more relevant to this thread 4m 20s in. :)

And another £5k house has just cropped up...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30112441.html

...in a HPC "slumlord town" favourite: Hartlepool.

Buy for £15k... spend £10k... rent out at £350 a month... 17% gross yield, courtesy of housing benefit ;)

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

This is what I was saying back in 2008 when Borrowdale Street's houses were going for £50k & £60k,

that nobody wanted them when they were going for £8k & £10k back in 2000, so the market won't start

fully correcting till these type of houses are back to around £15k - £20k & nobody wants them.

It's a shame to see these houses go to waste, or enter the buy to let market.

I'm surprised the council don't buy them and do them up themselves.

Agreed. A few weeks ago I took a trip to Lowestoft on the Suffolk coast. Lowestoft always had - and still has - a few social problems but I was pleasantly surprised to see the victorian terraced houses (mostly hotels, B&Bs and flats) all done up nicely. Where they were once covered in black grime, the brickwork is now a nice sandstone colour. The streets, traffic control and environs look much smarter too.

I hope that Hartlepool, Easington and other places follow a similar lead to Lowestoft Council & Suffolk County Council and invest in their towns. Easier said than done though, it seems, if there isn't much investment in businesses in these areas. :unsure: