House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
darwin

Rapper Jay Z Accused Of Using Scare Tactics On Tenants

Shawn Carter, better known as rapper Jay Z and husband of singer Beyonce, is accused of using strong arm tactics in order to get rid of tenants.

Seems his company doesn't want to rent the 24 flats any more, they want to sell. They're accused of trying to get rid of tenants by not cashing rent cheques, then serving eviction papers citing non-payment of rent.

From Fox News:

Current and former residents at a luxury building in Philadelphia partly owned by hip-hop star Jay-Z say the music mogul's
legal team has been relentlessly harassing them to leave until they give up and vacate the premises, FoxNews.com has learned.
"I'm scared of Jay-Z," says a tenant of 603 North American Street, who because of what she claims are safety fears does not want to be
named. "I've endured endless harassment from his team of lawyers, and I can't take it anymore. I don't know when this drama is going to
end."
"The whole thing has been so unsettling,” former tenant Liza Tedeschi tells FoxNews.com exclusively. “I’ve been in tears
over this.”
Tedeschi claims Jay-Z's legal team has been trying to evict tenants at his four-year-old building.
“They filed a lawsuit against me knowing that I had paid the rent. The lawyer admitted it to me, yet they still filed the lawsuit against me,”
says Tedeschi. “It’s total and utter harassment. They’re filing frivolous lawsuits. They gave my personal cell phone number out to what
seems like every realtor in town to show my apartment. I’ve gotten phone calls at 9 p.m. on a Friday night. They’re on a coordinated
crusade of harassment–everyone who’s left in the building is being sued."
Tenant Lani Moreno agrees.
"They had process servers banging on my door, ringing my doorbell nonstop,” Moreno tells FoxNews.com exclusively. “The banging
was very violent. This was happening on a daily basis for at least a week. They were yelling my name, and the names of my neighbors.
I was very scared because I live alone, and it was very, very scary for me.”
FoxNews.com was shown the real estate company's lawsuit filed against one of the tenants for unpaid rent, along with emails from the
resident to the attorney stating she had paid the rent. According to the resident, her personal rent checks had simply never been
cashed.

Another BTLer in trouble?

Its possible to sell a building with sitting tennants... sounds like they want the building empty to use it for something else?

Edited by AteMoose

Can't be that he needs the money... between him and the missus they are well clear of billionaire status

Must be that his canny financial advisors have warned of more bad news on the US housing front.

Perhaps Jay Z has upset Murdoch in some way? If not, then bang goes his reputation with the hipsters and the cool urban crowd...... :lol:

I wonder if Kanye West has a property portfolio on the Chicago South Side?? :lol:

You have to know you are storing up trouble for yourself by renting from a landlord who enjoys posturing as a 'gangster'.

americangangster.jpg

Total Muppet who personifies everything wrong with American "culture".