House Price Crash Forum
eric pebble

Looters In Suits: Britain's Bankers Have Learnt Nothing

Looters in suits: Three years ago this week, Lehman Brothers crashed. Since then, Britain's bankers have learnt nothing and have been let off the hook again.

By MAX HASTINGS

Three years ago this week, the collapse of the American investment bank Lehman Brothers signalled the onset of the global financial crisis, which has since escalated into a sovereign debt nightmare, boiling around us still.

In response to the financial services industry’s manic greed and incompetence, the British Government last year established the Independent Commission on Banking.

Barclays’ chief executive, Bob Diamond, declared emolliently that the commission’s report represents ‘a step towards greater clarity’.

I have read enough to know that if I was drowning and needed a kindly hand, I would plead with Tony Soprano or Darth Vader before trying Diamond.

When Diamond shows that he thinks the Government’s plans for banking not too bad, the rest of us get the message: these princes of greed and amorality are off the hook again.

Here is an industry which has failed on a Titanic scale (this week we saw further incompetence when a trader at banking giant UBS lost £1.3 billion in a string of reckless transactions); whose warlords remain impenitent, committed as ever to skinning the rest of us for their own enrichment.

And they are offered almost a decade to mend their ways. No wonder Bob Diamond and his friends are having the giggles.

Mmmm! :unsure: Max doesn't mince his words! :lol:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038147/Max-Hastings-Lehmans-Brothers-crash-bankers-looters-suits.html#ixzz1YCP7ckFm

Edited by eric pebble

Looters in suits: Three years ago this week, Lehman Brothers crashed. Since then, Britain's bankers have learnt nothing and have been let off the hook again.

By MAX HASTINGS

Three years ago this week, the collapse of the American investment bank Lehman Brothers signalled the onset of the global financial crisis, which has since escalated into a sovereign debt nightmare, boiling around us still.

In response to the financial services industry’s manic greed and incompetence, the British Government last year established the Independent Commission on Banking.

Barclays’ chief executive, Bob Diamond, declared emolliently that the commission’s report represents ‘a step towards greater clarity’.

I have read enough to know that if I was drowning and needed a kindly hand, I would plead with Tony Soprano or Darth Vader before trying Diamond.

When Diamond shows that he thinks the Government’s plans for banking not too bad, the rest of us get the message: these princes of greed and amorality are off the hook again.

Here is an industry which has failed on a Titanic scale (this week we saw further incompetence when a trader at banking giant UBS lost £1.3 billion in a string of reckless transactions); whose warlords remain impenitent, committed as ever to skinning the rest of us for their own enrichment.

And they are offered almost a decade to mend their ways. No wonder Bob Diamond and his friends are having the giggles.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2038147/Max-Hastings-Lehmans-Brothers-crash-bankers-looters-suits.html#ixzz1YCP7ckFm

A great article...sums up those dwat b*****ers pretty succinctly.

By MAX HASTINGS

In response to the financial services industry's manic greed and incompetence, the British Government last year established the Independent Commission on Banking.

Barclays' chief executive, Bob Diamond, declared emolliently that the commission's report represents 'a step towards greater clarity'.

When Diamond shows that he thinks the Government's plans for banking not too bad, the rest of us get the message: these princes of greed and amorality are off the hook again.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1YCP7ckFm

M-AX

Hastings

Warlords

Mince

BOB

Diamond

An agent that assuages-emolient

Giggles 77

More of your Covent-Garden 'Punch' Masonic puppetry piss--taking of the ignorants - Loony Lodge style

By MAX HASTINGS

Nonsense article founded in jealousy, clearly if it wasnt for the banks abilities in allocating capital efficiently youd all still be travelling from place to place in a cart and communicating with smoke signals

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Nonsense article founded in jealousy, clearly if it wasnt for the banks abilities in allocating capital efficiently youd all still be travelling from place to place in a cart and communicating with smoke signals

Stop being silly, now.

But hang on a minute.....

What about the Massive Fraud via MBS's, SIV's - to LIAR LOANS funding and holding up artificial stupid prices & Biggest Ever Property Bubble - to massive financial collapse & unemployment....? WHAT ABOUT THIS? WAS IT/IS IT OK???

WHAT ABOUT ORDINARY PEOPLE and their LIVES????

Edited by eric pebble

What about the Massive Fraud via MBS's, SIV's - to LIAR LOANS funding and holding up artificial stupid prices & Biggest Ever Property Bubble - to massive financial collapse & unemployment....? WHAT ABOUT THIS? WAS IT/IS IT OK???

Stuff ordinary people and their lives and the cost of living. The housing ponzi is everything and we need more quantitative looting.

They were in it too. LIAR loans, borrowing what they couldn't afford.

Thick as theives. Thick being the operative word.

EDIT: In fact I might name this thread 'Looters in Shell Suits'

Edited by Redcellar

Can't really believe some posters on here actually defending the banks. Do please read again how much these dwats are earning in bonuses. It's not jealousy as some idiot above cited. It's about the Super Rich getting Super Richer and everyone else being shafted.

Stuff ordinary people and their lives and the cost of living. The housing ponzi is everything and we need more quantitative looting.

Be good if someone in the media picked that up.

Three years ago this week, Lehman Brothers crashed. Since then, Britain's bankers have learnt nothing

You're assuming someone has been trying to teach them a lesson,

They are in a class, and there is no teacher to discipline them, so the only thing they have learnt is that they can carry on with impunity.

you should check out what the building societies are getting up to - 100% mortgages, expanding into BTL, these guys are not too big to fail, but they are just big enough to be stupid

you should check out what the building societies are getting up to - 100% mortgages, expanding into BTL, these guys are not too big to fail, but they are just big enough to be stupid

Nothing new of course....

Take "Northern Rock": A bunch of total @rseholes who endlessly peddled LIAR LOANS galore and inevitably failed spectacularly....

The same goes for "Bradford & Bingley" [Remember them??!?] - another bunch of morons who I KNEW were going to go bust - I will NEVER forget their campaign to "make you [i.e. ALL and sundry] a successful landlord"..... :angry: :angry: :rolleyes:

GOD it makes me SICK.... :angry: :angry:

Edited by eric pebble

Be good if someone in the media picked that up.

QUANTITATIVE LOOTING. ~Yes that might be what it is!

Three years ago this week, Lehman Brothers crashed. Since then, Britain's bankers have learnt nothing and have been let off the hook again.

On the contrary, Eric. It looks like they have learned very well indeed and are doing nicely, thank you.

On the contrary, Eric. It looks like they have learned very well indeed and are doing nicely, thank you.

:rolleyes: Yup - I s'pose you're right.....

Jeezzz I am so fed up with the way things just AREN'T getting any better - in fact - they're getting WORSE..... :angry: :angry: