House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Internet Banking - General Advice Windows Vs Ubuntu

So I have to do some internet banking (which I hate due to working in finance). I read somewhere recently (here I think) that windows is unsafe and that linux should be used. So I decided to have another try with Linux (been a few years since I last dabbled). After installing Ubuntu on my old HPnx6325 I was pleasantly surprised to find it picked up pretty much all of the drivers,all except the wireless modem. After spending a few nights playing with certain settings I was unable to get online wirelessly - I gave up and decided to install a partition on the hard drive for a dual boot XP - one small partition for online banking and the other for everything else. So seeing as I'm still on Windows at least for now - what should I look to install or avoid installing ? Should I stick with just critical updates or update everything (there does seem to be no end of updates) ? Which browser is best for online banking ? Which free antivirus - spyware etc - thanks in advance.

I would give Linux Mint a go instead since it is a bit more "ready to use" than Ubuntu. If you are only using Linux for online banking then just run Linux from the live DVD or from a USB stick - no need to install to the hard drive. Linux Mint 11 is amazing but they also have an LXDE version which is a bit lighter and may also be worth trying. An alternative LXDE linux is Peppermint.

As for Windows, Firefox is probably the most reliable browser and works with my banks. I think Avast is a less annoying antivirus than AVG. I'd install all of the Windows updates but I just find that easier even if it takes longer.

I would give Linux Mint a go instead since it is a bit more "ready to use" than Ubuntu. If you are only using Linux for online banking then just run Linux from the live DVD or from a USB stick - no need to install to the hard drive. Linux Mint 11 is amazing but they also have an LXDE version which is a bit lighter and may also be worth trying. An alternative LXDE linux is Peppermint.

As for Windows, Firefox is probably the most reliable browser and works with my banks. I think Avast is a less annoying antivirus than AVG. I'd install all of the Windows updates but I just find that easier even if it takes longer.

Thanks for the nfo. I'll give those suggestions a try and see how I get on. The broadcom wlan does appear to be a problem with my laptop,some veteran linux users have also been completely foxed by the issue. The reason I went for a partition was mainly just to see if I could set it up - I used EaseUs which was free and easy to understand - I quite like the idea of having the OP on a memory stick though so I'll look into that also. As I mentioned before I was very surprised that Ubuntu picked up all of the drivers - it even attempted to fix the wlan driver,without prompting - though the download didn't fix the problem. When I installed a bonkers copy of XP sp3 onto my partition I had to install virtually all the drivers,linux does seem like the way forward. Thanks again for you advice - I'll report back.

Thanks for the nfo. I'll give those suggestions a try and see how I get on. The broadcom wlan does appear to be a problem with my laptop,some veteran linux users have also been completely foxed by the issue. The reason I went for a partition was mainly just to see if I could set it up - I used EaseUs which was free and easy to understand - I quite like the idea of having the OP on a memory stick though so I'll look into that also. As I mentioned before I was very surprised that Ubuntu picked up all of the drivers - it even attempted to fix the wlan driver,without prompting - though the download didn't fix the problem. When I installed a bonkers copy of XP sp3 onto my partition I had to install virtually all the drivers,linux does seem like the way forward. Thanks again for you advice - I'll report back.

Had to change my laptip wireless lan card to an intel one, cost around a tenner. Another vote for Mint.

This is great for trying out different distros on USB stick - http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Linux and wireless networking is odd. I had no problems at all with an Edimax stick with Kubuntu on my desktop PC, yet when I bought another Edimax stick (but a different model), although it worked just fine, my local network was not detected. I could see all my neighbours, but not mine.

I have Kubuntu on an MSI laptop as well, worked straight out of the box.

This guy managed to get a Broadcom chipset working:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1071920&mode=linear

Thanks for that - to be honest I've given more than enough time to attempting to get linux wireless working on my laptop - I've tried various "solutions" (some of which made the problem worse,ie I couldn't see the wireless option at all) and obviously none of them have worked. The link you've provided seems a little complex but thanks for making me aware. I have installed Mint on an old desktop which I like a lot,so thanks again. I haven't gotten round to making a usb boot yet but intend to quite soon. I have the xp dual boot running well and feel quite confident and secure,Windows,despite its innate security problems,is easy to work with. I've installed Avast & Zone Alarm along with Windows Security Essentials and Rapport - it's not built for speed ! But feels secure and I of course only use that partition for banking - thanks again.