House Price Crash Forum

Fine Wines Worth A Punt Or Load Of Tosh?

chirpy999

HOLA441
HOLA442

What does anyone think of the merits of investing in fine wine? I had a cal from someone promising 15% returns yesterday.

I am not that keen, seems too good to be true but wgat does everyone else feel?

I think it sounds like a really good idea. I think if someone phones you up and promises you a 15% return then that's a sure-fire way to make money and nothing can possibly go wrong!!!

P.S. Your question isn't really about investing in Fine Wine at all. It's about whether you part with money at the suggestion of someone who phones you up. Does framing the question in this way help you to answer it?

HOLA443

I had a call from someone promising 15% returns yesterday.

My first recation to this was that you are looking for gullible people for a scam of your own or is this a wind up? (wine up?)

It sounds like a very crude scam.

By all means, invest in stamps, wine, antiques, paintings or whatever as long as you have a real passion for and really understand whatever it is you want to invest in. Otherwise I'd advise you to stay away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-12382080

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/7521282.stm

http://www.decanter....any-boss-jailed

http://www.independe...ar-2302425.html

HOLA444

Fine wines are an excellent investment. There are 2 main strategies.

1. Visit small vinyards in France and buy up cases of this year's vintage, drive home, wait 2 or 3 years, then drink.

2. Pop down the supermarket, size up European wines between about £5 and £7. Look for offers, reductions, etc. Buy, walk home, wait 10 minutes to a couple of hours, then drink.

Remember, red wine is an excellent "superfood" full of antioxidants and other healthy substances.

HOLA445

What does anyone think of the merits of investing in fine wine? I had a cal from someone promising 15% returns yesterday.

I am not that keen, seems too good to be true but wgat does everyone else feel?

And if you don't know which wine to buy, phone a friend?

I would say, steer well clear of any 'fund'. If you want to do it, research and buy it yourself at the auction. It can be profitable - but it's risky. Like art, some tastes can change. Some wine has a use by date even if it's 50 years. Complicated...

HOLA446
HOLA447
  • 4 months later...
HOLA448

your investment is sitting there on the top shelf of the cupboard, one night your in a sorry "life is too short state" and you consume your investment......thats why i could never buy wine as an investment....

stamps, what are they about..........just a piece of paper with a print on it, could be counterfeited.....at least fiat is renewed.....

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449

your investment is sitting there on the top shelf of the cupboard, one night your in a sorry "life is too short state" and you consume your investment......thats why i could never buy wine as an investment....

It doesn't generally work like that. With wine you'll usually pay to keep it in a secured and climate controlled storehouse and probably will never actually see your wine. It's important to maintain a paper trail for where it's been with no gaps. If it ends up being stored somewhere insecure/not controlled like your top shelf, it will be worth less to buyers.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410

LOL some random person called me up and promised me a 15% return LOL