House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Agencies Get Rich On The Backs Of The Working Poor

After two months of unemployment, I finally took a job this week working for an employment agency in my area but I had to do an induction lasting 2 hours for free, plus tests for a basic standard factory job. It's hard to find any job in my local area but now, you can't even go door knocking for a job, as the area is saturated with agencies. Conditions for agency staff are terrible. You must meet figures or its goodbye. Talk to much goodbye. Don't like your face goodbye. These agencies are real scum all they do as act as a middleman between employer and worker, getting rich in the process just like estate agents and other associated scum. Anyway, I found this petition on the government website. Agencies take half the money a worker is paid this is something that has been going for ages, I've been aware of it but now we can make parliament debate the issue if enough people sign this petition. Personally, I would prefer to see more government control of this agencies running or regulating them heavily, (aside from the eu laws being passed soon) because agencies come down so heavily on the side of companies and the workers have no recourse what-so-ever. These greedy agencies must be stopped, they should get a set fee and that's it. Please sign this petition, most people out there must have a relative or friend who has had to deal an agency. Sign this it 's a step towards fairness in society again.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15694

Government control is absolutely the wrong solution.

Why do employers use such agencies? It's because hiring employees directly ties them up in far too much red tape. Deal with the cause of the problem, not a symptom!

Many job agencies are bottom feeding scum, a lot of the advertised jobs don't even exist.

I'm sure there are some reputable ones, and I'm sure the ones that deal with more professional occupations provide a good service for the employee. But the ones that deal mainly with office/manual labour are often disgraceful, in my experience.

Government control is absolutely the wrong solution.

Why do employers use such agencies? It's because hiring employees directly ties them up in far too much red tape. Deal with the cause of the problem, not a symptom!

They barely existed a couple of decades ago

It's the money grabbing hidden owners and shareholders

(who insert themselves as broking 'middlemen' that suck the cash out of the economy for doing nothing in particular)

pushing up costs to companies and reducing wages for the actual wealth producer.

One of the worst of these is medical 'middlemen' who suck billions out of the NHS supplying nurses to fill in at huge costs over the NHS employing them.

One of the hidden, untalked about ways they are destroying the NHS from within!

Making it too expensive to run - it's all deliberate but no one thinks it through!

And in all seriousness, who does that?

You still have to pay minimum wage as an agency? i.e the same as what the employer would give you if you were a direct employee.

Then you charge for transport, clothing, administration, checks etc etc all at a profit to whittle it down.

And yes, not all of this is strictly in the letter of the law, bu tit's the same as rental agencies. You can insist upon your rights, and then not get their service. For those at the bottom it's like it or lump it.

I'm sure uniforms required for the job are provided. I know that agencies don't charge candidates anything - it's against the law. Agencies pay for CRB and other checks.

They should of course pay for their own commute and general clothing.

When I was a student I used these agencies all the time as they guaranteed me work at any time I wanted it. I did all sorts of rubbish but did it to pay off my overdraft. They told me how much I was going to get up front and I could have said yes or no. What I wouldn't have done was say yes and then spend my life moaning about the injustices of it all.

I also know that the 'consultants' (terms used loosely) barely make much more than the staff in these, low-end industrial agencies.

Oh I've seen this meme a lot, the "i did it to do x" argument.

Theres a big, big difference between putting up with shit in order to get somewhere and a lifetime of shit that stays shit.

It wasn't shit though. I told them I wanted work, because I needed it. They arranged it and I got paid. That's it - there is no argument - surely.

Yes, yes there is.

Minus the agencies, companies have to pay living wages and workers get some form of rights. This isn't doing a bit to pay an overdraft off while a student, this is the best arrangement on offer for large swathes of the working class. No rights, no security and less than minimum wage. This isn't doing a bit in order to fund study and go places for these people, it's insecure low pay that's going to stay insecure low pay more or less forever, unless they counter lobby the neo liberal shysters that have put them in this hole successfully.

While I support the sentiment of the OP, regulation won't fix the problem so i won't be signing up.

Don't like it? Try your luck in Mexico, Bangladesh, China or about any of the other 150 countries, where shit = real shit. Having a minimum wage and at least the opportunity to work in a factory type job is a luxury that some can only dream of. The OP is just feeling sorry for himself and looking to rant at anyone and anything, in my opinion.

Those places are as they are because workers don't have rights.

They barely existed a couple of decades ago

I disagree. When I was looking for short-term jobs as a student around 1990 there were several agencies in our town; for a student it was great because they could organise a job for a couple of months between terms to pay off my credit cards.

I'm not sure I'd want to be doing it for the rest of my life, but I can understand why companies prefer to hire through agencies when the government has made permanent employees so expensive.

After two months of unemployment, I finally took a job this week working for an employment agency in my area but I had to do an induction lasting 2 hours for free, plus tests for a basic standard factory job. It's hard to find any job in my local area but now, you can't even go door knocking for a job, as the area is saturated with agencies. Conditions for agency staff are terrible. You must meet figures or its goodbye. Talk to much goodbye. Don't like your face goodbye. These agencies are real scum all they do as act as a middleman between employer and worker, getting rich in the process just like estate agents and other associated scum. Anyway, I found this petition on the government website. Agencies take half the money a worker is paid this is something that has been going for ages, I've been aware of it but now we can make parliament debate the issue if enough people sign this petition. Personally, I would prefer to see more government control of this agencies running or regulating them heavily, (aside from the eu laws being passed soon) because agencies come down so heavily on the side of companies and the workers have no recourse what-so-ever. These greedy agencies must be stopped, they should get a set fee and that's it. Please sign this petition, most people out there must have a relative or friend who has had to deal an agency. Sign this it 's a step towards fairness in society again.

https://submissions....petitions/15694

Start your own agency..... you might find it harder than you think. There is nothing stopping you from having your own agency, approaching companies and selling your own time out directly at whatever rate you see fit

The point is the role of these employment agencies should be debated in parliament. Clearly, agencies are taking advantage of the poorest in society in a deregulated labour market. Yes?

The agency game has changed ten fold since the 1990s. Before going to university I also worked on the agency for a year, yes I got paid but I can distinctly remember a company offering me work directly as a temp when the agency driver heard about it from me he reported it to the agency and I had to work through the agency exclusively. Agencies are on steroids now because of the deregulated labour market and huge levels of unemployment, its a modern slave trade.

If any of you think doing two hour inductions for free is fair then shame on you. I turned up at the factory the other day luckily someone was sick and I was given a days work. If someone hadn't been sick to would be okay we don't need you goodbye. I know of agencies who refused a guy work because he had to to take care of his kids in the evening and was deemed inflexible, and had the phone put down on him. Agency staff in a cleaning job locally are not allowed to make eye contact with other members of staff. A local company uses agencies to recruit directly from Poland and Slovakia bypassing the locals completely.

I don't have time to start my own agency and to be honest I have bigger fish to fry. I am just pointing out that workers have less and less rights in the neoliberal model of capitalism we are following.

How can you make comparisons with Bangladesh etc? In Britain we have fought for basic rights at work for decades but now things are starting to go. Mark my works Fury in twenty years it probably will be like Bangladesh, but you Boltonfury will undoubtedly love it because 'the cream always rises to the top.' Just remember though, 'the higher up the tree the monkey climbs the more of its **** you can see.' We seem to have the same disagreement on this issue every time I post something about recruitment agencies. Why so hostile? Deep down you must know exploitation is wrong. Is this the kind of world you want for your kids? The way things are going these gangmasters will be even more powerful in 20 years.

I stand by my petition.. Please sign it if you want the role of agencies to be debated in parliament. Agencies are wrong.

Everything is moving to flexibility. Permanent is gone for most. Get used to these agencies because most will haveto deal with them at one point or another. And whilst a lot are shysters some are all right. Same as anything.

Nonsense. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Agencies don't take any of your money - they charge the client a fee on top. That is a massive difference. Stop moaning and feeling sorry for yourself, and if you're so good, then the cream will rise to the top won't it.

THere are so many agencies because the government has made hiring people such a minefield that they are the preferred choice by employers when hiring.

Don't IT agencies take a percentage of a persons hourly rate every week they are hired?

Everything is moving to flexibility. Permanent is gone for most. Get used to these agencies because most will haveto deal with them at one point or another. And whilst a lot are shysters some are all right. Same as anything.

Can't be true.

If we have a very chaotic marketplace, then interest rates to that marketplace must rise (unless some outside force stops them) and as interest rates rise, then the marketplace becomes less chaotic and slows down.

Basically what's happening is the rich and powerful are pushing the costs of having this current system onto the poor by robbing them of rights and rewards and making them eat risk and uncertainty. It really should stop from a moral point of view (and in fact must stop due to it's own inherent imbalances from a practical point of view) but again, legislation isn't the way to do it.

Don't IT agencies take a percentage of a persons hourly rate every week they are hired?

There is an agreed rate and that is what they charge. What you get for your work is up to your negotiation.

Can't be true.

If we have a very chaotic marketplace, then interest rates to that marketplace must rise (unless some outside force stops them) and as interest rates rise, then the marketplace becomes less chaotic and slows down.

Basically what's happening is the rich and powerful are pushing the costs of having this current system onto the poor by robbing them of rights and rewards and making them eat risk and uncertainty. It really should stop from a moral point of view (and in fact must stop due to it's own inherent imbalances from a practical point of view) but again, legislation isn't the way to do it.

I was just stating that people better get used to many companies opting for a flexible approach to staff. Because they are.

There is an agreed rate and that is what they charge. What you get for your work is up to your negotiation.

I was just stating that people better get used to many companies opting for a flexible approach to staff. Because they are.

And I was just saying don't get to used to it, because it must end.

And I was just saying don't get to used to it, because it must end.

Why ? The people in charge want it. On that basic premise it will continue for as long as they want it to.

Why ? The people in charge want it. On that basic premise it will continue for as long as they want it to.

They'll be dead or gone very shortly.

Nope. The <Inexperienced> contractor gets told what they are getting at the beginning. That never changes. THe agencies then bill a margin to the client. Candidates never pay anything, ever. It's against the law.

;)

The point is the role of these employment agencies should be debated in parliament. Clearly, agencies are taking advantage of the poorest in society in a deregulated labour market. Yes?

No.

It's an overregulated labour market. Take away the worst of the red tape, and the need for the kind of agencies you complain of goes away, as employers lose the fear of employing people directly.

And yes, I'm well aware that some agencies are thoroughly evil. I've been on the wrong end of them myself. The dark side of outsourcing.

Nope. The contractor gets told what they are getting at the beginning. That never changes. THe agencies then bill a margin to the client. Candidates never pay anything, ever. It's against the law.

Isn't that splitting hairs a bit? They are taking a margin each and every week which wouldn't happen if the person went direct a la the OP's point (although I accept in the present red-tape setup this would cause headaches for the employer).

No, I don't think so. If the person went direct they's pay them the same and not pay them what they would have paid the agency as well. Therefor, they are getting fair market rate and the agency gets a fee too.

The 'fee' is bascially payment for dealing with a lot of the hassles and red tape - and filtering candidates.

When an agency goes to a company with your cost - it is not what you are getting it is what you cost including their 'fee/margin' or whatever you call it.

I know this because I ahve seen documents with the costs of various contractors - including myself. What you get of that total - the end client doers not or does not want/need to know.

A lot of people think that what your total cost is does not matter. You make an agreement with the agency and they make an agreement with the end client - so you are happy so that is it. Well I think that is fine up to a point. There will be many people out there who think they are 'cheap' compared to other people - when in fact they are not - the agency is just getting a larger cut than from other people.

So if it comes to cost cutting of contractors and they are looking at numbers - you may be on the 'expensive' list when you think you are n the 'cheap' list. I quite like the idea of agencies beign honest and having a set margin that they are open about. I think some do this and at least everyone knows where they stand.

Mine takes 15% of my total cost. Fairly average. Anything under 10% and it is not worth the hassle for most agencies. Anything above 20% and they are taking the piss. But if they can get away with it then up to them.

The contractor is told at all times what they are getting and have the option to say yes/no/negotiate.

It's a bit like going into a shop and buying something then getting to counter and arguing because you know that they didn't pay that much for it wholesale. It doesn't matter, if everyone in the process is happen and has the choice to say yes or no.

But that is for goods and not a service. See what you are saying but there seems to be a lot of uneccessary negotiations and nonsense when agreeing a price on a contract. Set % makes sense to me. Everyone knows where they stand. You get a lot of bad blood between contractors/agencies and the end client. I don't think most if it is necessary.

Yep it is strange relationship. Don't want to talk to them for months and then suddenly all friendly. Goes for both sides. I just think a lot of it comes from the lack of transparency of the agencies when it comes to their margin. It starts things off on a bad foot when it is not necessary.

I have never lied to an agency - they have lied to me at least 4-5 times that I know of. That is enough to give me a fairly decent attitude to what goes on - this is based over 5 years as well with numerous differnt agencies. Some of them are good but def the minority IMO.

Wouldn't want to be one myself - sounds horrendous for a lot of it. However many really do not do themselves any favours. Maybe that is just part of the job ? If so then perhaps they could go about changing it.

I am sure some contractors are 'greedy' - however what has the agent to lose ? If it is above the level they can sell to the end clinet for and they wont make any money ? Tell the contractor they are asking for too much and put down the phone. A lot of the time the agent does this exact same thing - however they are making it up to improve their cut. A contractor cannot do this.

The contractor sees one side of the arrangement. The end client sees one side of the arrangement. The agency sees BOTH. They hold all the cards - and use them on a regular basis.

Both contractors and agents are responsible for bad blood - no argument there. However more on the side of the agency IMO. Simply because they have sight of everything they need to do the dodgy. A contractor usually does not. If they did then perhaps they would do exactly the same. Very posssible. However that is not the current situation so they cannot accept half the blame IMO for the present situation.