House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erat_forte

Fears Derelict Historic Building May Be Lost If A Buyer Can Not Be Found

I have looked at a couple of similar things previously.

The big problem seems to be with planning etc. (quelle surprise). The councils that I spoke with were very reticent to allow any reasonable form of renovation to be undertaken.

It got to the point with one about 3 years ago where the structural survey summary was that the building was about to fall down totally and I outright said to the Planning person from said council - I want to restore it and live in it, but it seems you would prefer it to fall down and be a pile of rubble. She didn't comment, but I am sure I was right. Lo and behold, the east side of that particular building has now indeed fallen down totally and the rest of the building is unsafe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-14933561

Looks a lovely remote retreat.

I hate this sort of story. If the owner is really that worried about the property then why don't the do it up themselves or else sell it for less money? £200k is a lot of money for a hovel in the ar$e-crack of nowhere.

<non-sequitur> It reminds me of the Dahl family looking for £500k to dismantle Roald Dahl's old shed; the man's books must have made millions over the years so why are they looking for public handouts? </non-sequitur>

(edit to include profanity)

Edited by Diver Dan

£200,000 ?

For that ???

Let it rot.

<non-sequitur> It reminds me of the Dahl family looking for £500k to dismantle Roald Dahl's old shed; the man's books must have made millions over the years so why are they looking for public handouts? </non-sequitur>

(edit to include profanity)

I know! Made me swear over my porridge the other morning!

Looks like a great place - for the right price.

I looked longingly at this one, until the agent told me it needs extensive rebuilding to the point where it's cash buyer only. Being Grade 2 listed means that'll cost, over and above just being down a dirt track :ph34r:

So for £200k you can get yourself some rubble that you MUST make into a kept environment to the councils standard (but obviously not at their cost but yours) and then your hopes of any country views will be shattered by the surrounding land being sold off for development. Probably into some high rise blocks of shoe boxes that the local chavs can move into.

Sound like a catch to you? :unsure:

It caught my eye as a museum / archaeology type; it looks like an interesting site from a rural folk life history point of view. I could see somethign like the National Museum or the National Trust taking over this site and ploughing 500k to 1m into it to turn it into an open air museum like Auchindrain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auchindrain or at least conserving and stabilising it etc. But I didn't see it actually having any market value at all - I would have guessed it would be less than half the value of unimproved grassland?

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I looked longingly at this one, until the agent told me it needs extensive rebuilding to the point where it's cash buyer only. Being Grade 2 listed means that'll cost, over and above just being down a dirt track :ph34r:

Again surely that is a guide price for after it has been restored?

Auction 6th Oct so some idiot who's not looked at it might buy it.

It caught my eye as a museum / archaeology type; it looks like an interesting site from a rural folk life history point of view. I could see somethign like the National Museum or the National Trust taking over this site and ploughing 500k to 1m into it to turn it into an open air museum like Auchindrain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auchindrain or at least conserving and stabilising it etc. But I didn't see it actually having any market value at all - I would have guessed it would be less than half the value of unimproved grassland?

Will be interesting to see what happens.

These conservation schemes can be costly. Roald Dahl's garden shed is going to cost £500,000 to restore. At least the cost their will be shared, not by the multi-million pound Dahl estate or by his grand daughter that gets that from one modelling assignment. Nope we have got to stump up for the f**ker, his grand daughter got the begging bowl out on radio 4..

Edited by crashmonitor