House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Tortured, Disemboweled And Hung From A Bridge For Tweeting: Couple Killed By Mexican Drug Cartel As Gruesome Warning To Bloggers Who 'snitch' Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037772/Couple-killed-Mexican-drug-cartel-warning-bloggers-snitch-online.html

A couple have been found hanging from a bridge in the Mexican border city of Nuevo Laredo after being disembowelled and mutilated by attackers.

The motive for the gruesome attack was to warn social media users not to criticise Mexican drug cartels on the internet.

Next to the battered bodies was a sign reading: ‘This is going to happen to all those posting funny things on the internet, You better (expletive) pay attention. I’m about to get you.’

Surely for the crime cartels this is a waste of time, I wonder what was tweeted.

About 8-9 years ago a young, somewhat naive female colleague of mine came back from a 'dream holiday' in one of the big resorts, saying how she had been turned over by the local police to the effect of either you give us your money and valuables or we will fit you up for buying drugs and then you'd wish you had given us everything.

Please dont ask for more details, as I cant recall them. Enough to say it is a scary place and wild horses would drag me there on holiday (and i speak as someone who has been to some of the scariest places on Earth for work, such as Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire and so forth).

I don't think it is that dodgy. I imagine the vast majority of the murders are people involved in the trade. As a tourist I don't think you have too much to worry about. Yes you may get mugged or done over by the Police - however that can happen here as well.

I spent 6 weeks travelling around Central America on my todd. I have also worked in San Diego and we went out to Tijuana every Saturday night and wandered back across to the border. I didn't get mugged or done over by the Police once.

I have however been done over by the Police in Glasgow and randomly punched in the nose twice in Edinburgh*. Go figure.

* I appreciate the time I have spent in Scotland has been far longer but still you see the point.

Fair enough, ccc.

I go to Glasgow every so often for work, too, and there's no way i would go on holiday there, either. laugh.gif

ETA, funnily enough, though, a French colleague of mine did go to Glasgow on her summer hols last year. She never explained why.huh.gif

I don't think it is that dodgy. I imagine the vast majority of the murders are people involved in the trade. As a tourist I don't think you have too much to worry about. Yes you may get mugged or done over by the Police - however that can happen here as well.

I spent 6 weeks travelling around Central America on my todd. I have also worked in San Diego and we went out to Tijuana every Saturday night and wandered back across to the border. I didn't get mugged or done over by the Police once.

Indeed.

In most of Mexico as a tourist you wouldn't be aware of any of this. But it has got worse.

Rewind 10 years or so and the government and drug cartels worked in relative harmony together.. corruption was rife, and both parties profited from the South => North narcotic trade.

Since PRI lost the election in 2000 (breaking a 71 year grip on office) subsequent leaders have tried to reduce corruption, and in an attempt to appease the US started cracking down on the cartels.

While noble, this has resulted in a lot of internal stress. The drug cartels are organised, have local sympathisers, provide jobs and have cash.. lots of it.

As far as I can tell the US have been pretty unhelpful since stirring up this hornets nest. They supply arms south of the boarder and offer little in financial aid for the confrontation they demanded.

Mexico is a beautiful country with incredibly friendly people. It is worth visiting as a tourist and safe to do so provided you avoid the cities along the northern boarder where the majority of the problems occur.

If anyone is interested this is a pretty accurate/comprehensive guide the the history of drug cartels in Mexico Linky

Please dont ask for more details, as I cant recall them. Enough to say it is a scary place and wild horses would drag me there on holiday (and i speak as someone who has been to some of the scariest places on Earth for work, such as Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire and so forth).

Does that mean you would be quite happy to go there to work?

Does that mean you would be quite happy to go there to work?

Yeah....

You see, the thing is, with work as opposed to holidays, you stay and eat at different places, do different things, generally have a local (or a group of locals) along and, most importantly, have an expense account. You see, while the naive use money to get themselves into trouble in such places, the correct application is to keep yourself out of trouble. Or, if you do feck up, get yourself out of trouble.

I have however been done over by the Police in Glasgow and randomly punched in the nose twice in Edinburgh*. Go figure.

* I appreciate the time I have spent in Scotland has been far longer but still you see the point.

You're probably right as far as tourists but, one of my US based suppliers had their factory in Mexico (Mexico is to the US cheap labout base as Eastern Europe is to the UK).

Basically, supply was disrupted for months because a bus full of factory workers, minding their own business, got caught in the crossfire of a drug gang fight.

I'm not sure a 'they knew what they were getting into' generalisation of the victims is necessarily fair.

Perhaps the most concerning point is not trusting uniformed police.

If you can't rely on that, what can you rely on?

I wonder if Mexico has the same gun laws as the US. I wouldn't want to be in Mexico unarmed.