House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

The Riots- Views From Abroad

Went on holiday abroad recently and a topic raised by locals and other tourists from other countries in conversation was 'what were those riots about?' . Incredibly hard to comment . I get the feeling the world got to see photos and video showing London ablaze. Fancy a visit in 2012?

Went on holiday abroad recently and a topic raised by locals and other tourists from other countries in conversation was 'what were those riots about?' . Incredibly hard to comment . I get the feeling the world got to see photos and video showing London ablaze. Fancy a visit in 2012?

I went abroad for 3 weeks just before they started. I had no idea what was going on.

All the press and most people I talked to in this E European country were disgustingly smug about it. I can summarise the view: 'this is your payback for letting in too many non-whites'.

Rather depressing.

I had the same thing, went round Spain a couple of weeks ago and the conversation with most foriegners came to the riots and the common question was 'what were they all about'. I think

I managed to give a different answer on each occasion getting more apocalyptic with each pint consumed. :D

I went abroad for 3 weeks just before they started. I had no idea what was going on.

All the press and most people I talked to in this E European country were disgustingly smug about it. I can summarise the view: 'this is your payback for letting in too many non-whites'.

Rather depressing.

:lol:

But at least a fraction of a percent of the rioters were white, thus there is no racial issue here, so say the liberal elite.

When I was playing on my X Box Live, some American kid asked me about the Riots (having English accent and all that).

Err, that's it.

I was on holiday in Germany at the time. The riots were headline news there too, and kept my German mother-in-law glued to the TV in shocked fascination.

In Germany, the riots tended to be presented rather smugly as an inevitable outcome of Anglo-Saxon individualism and lack of social policy. They have been successfully used by the left there as a bogey-man example of what happens in an under-regulated state.

Rather depressing.

We have loads of them in UK too undercutting our citizens or have they forgotten that fact?

In Germany, the riots tended to be presented rather smugly as an inevitable outcome of Anglo-Saxon individualism and lack of social policy. They have been successfully used by the left there as a bogey-man example of what happens in an under-regulated state.

Someone quickly remind them of what happened when Germany was an over-regulated state.

I was on holiday in Germany at the time. The riots were headline news there too, and kept my German mother-in-law glued to the TV in shocked fascination.

Actually, that's what a colleague thinks. I call him a communist frequently.

Unless the country concerned's language includes a direct translation for 'chavscum' addressing queries of this nature, from foreigners, is always going to be an expositional nightmare.

Edit to add: Where it has come up they basically don't really understand it at all - and, frankly, I'm not entirely sure I do either.

:lol:

But at least a fraction of a percent of the rioters were white, thus there is no racial issue here, so say the liberal elite.

In Manchester and other Norther towns, the looters were overwhelmingly white. Eastern Europeans are just being racist pricks and not exploring the root causes to the riots (imploded Capitalism and extreme wealth gaps, with poor areas next to rich areas, etc).

And the Germans have a more balanced society and economy,with a relatively better quality of life, but their smugness is hypocritical when the Berlin authorities have to routinely contend with expensive cars getting burned on the street and the Berlin cops are wary of a emulation of the London shop raidings.