House Price Crash Forum
RichM

Question Time - Nicola Horlick Being Pretty Apocalyptic

Dimbleby still managed to laugh it off a bit though.

He laughed off a lot of stuff, as he had no answer, including the bloke who suggested all the debt should be written off like after World War 2 just to start again, he dismissed that and laughed it off as "gloomy" - and quickly changed the topic :lol: .

... who suggested all the debt should be written off like after World War 2 just to start again, ....

..news to me ...it's not that long ago we finished paying of our dues to the USA....it wasn't free.... :rolleyes:

..news to me ...it's not that long ago we finished paying of our dues to the USA....it wasn't free.... :rolleyes:

Indeed in fact some would say it was all far too expensive but I think the member of the audience was referring to Germany. Whether he was entirely right or wrong on the right-off the point is Dimble just laughed it all off as "gloomy" and certainly didn't want to discuss the idea.

Edited by billybong

Whilst what she said might or might not be perceptive, don't think Horlick is some kind of economic heavyweight. Her expertise is more in self-promotion than anything else.

Don't watch QT - too many cardigan wearing public sector workers blaming it all on 'Thatcher'

I definetly would not have watched it is Nicola Horlicks was on - v thick HR woman.

'Duh hello bernie madoff - have my money please doh'

Don't watch QT - too many cardigan wearing public sector workers blaming it all on 'Thatcher'

I definetly would not have watched it is Nicola Horlicks was on - v thick HR woman.

'Duh hello bernie madoff - have my money please doh'

Beat me to it.

Whilst what she said might or might not be perceptive, don't think Horlick is some kind of economic heavyweight. Her expertise is more in self-promotion than anything else.

+1

I sat in a presentation in mid 2007 when Nicola was promoting her Bramdean Alternatives investment. She was banging on about being able to access investments not usually available to retail investors, but crucially the approach was still based on buying into hedge funds using debt to buy into whatever (as opposed to the hedge funds that did well shorting things in late 2007 etc). She had no concept of what was coming, and the fund died a couple of years later after poor performance (fancy that) and was taken over by someone else.

Dimble just laughed it all off as "gloomy" and certainly didn't want to discuss the idea.

That's the problem with QT, no real debate and a frequently superficial understanding by the panelists of the topics that are debated.

You might as well listed to 4 largered up people in as pub, putting the world to rights. The level of analysis might be roughly the same.

Horlick may not be that amazing, but it was the bleakest I've seen it QT. The Irish guy suggesting a reset, while maybe not the best idea (sounds unfair but maybe it would work), at least seemed to get how screwed up the whole system is. But I guess the Irish are a lot further along the curve than we are.

Horlick may not be that amazing, but it was the bleakest I've seen it QT. The Irish guy suggesting a reset, while maybe not the best idea (sounds unfair but maybe it would work), at least seemed to get how screwed up the whole system is. But I guess the Irish are a lot further along the curve than we are.

Sounds like time to buy then. When the lazy journos and Joe Public cotton on to something, it's already on the way in the other direction. Funny that the FTSE is 500 points off the low.

+1

Yep - she got hit for investing her client's funds in Madoff....apparently without much due dilligence.

This is what pisses me of about the establishment in this country.

Who is this woman to be an "expert" on question time? Lost a load of other peoples money - that sounds about right to be in power.

Peolpe have already forgotten that 5 yrs ago to be talking about economic collapse was tinfoil hat brigade stuff.

Now the people that back then were ridiculing the economic soothsayers are still transmitting their jaded anaemic opinions over the airwaves.

I was once asked if I wanted to pose a question at the mayoral debate. By the time I'd been schooled about what to ask I was asking their qustion not mine.

IT was clear that if I deviated I would be passed over.

I've got no time for QT. It should read Questions (that we've decided will be asked, about subjects that are safe) Time.

That's the problem with QT, no real debate and a frequently superficial understanding by the panelists of the topics that are debated.

You might as well listed to 4 largered up people in as pub, putting the world to rights. The level of analysis might be roughly the same.

Completely agree with you.

Indeed in fact some would say it was all far too expensive but I think the member of the audience was referring to Germany. Whether he was entirely right or wrong on the the right off the point is Dimble just laughed it all off as "gloomy" and certainly didn't want to discuss the idea.

QT is thoroughly depressing for the way in which any mention of intellectual debate is quickly jumped on and snuffed out by the Dimbleby. It's truly appalling.

That was a very astute question - precisely the sort of question that ought to stimulate enquiring minds and lead to enlightened thinking in the audience and at home.

What happens? Dimbelby immediately jumps on it.

Question Time is the front page of The Sun/Mirror for 11+ failures. It's a complete waste of time, money and effort.

One would hope that they could dramatically improve it by sacking Dimbleby and putting someone like Andrew Neil in the chair, but I daresay the remit would be so restrictive he wouldn't do it, and let's face it he's not Bullingdon so he's no chance.

QT is thoroughly depressing for the way in which any mention of intellectual debate is quickly jumped on and snuffed out by the Dimbleby. It's truly appalling.

That was a very astute question - precisely the sort of question that ought to stimulate enquiring minds and lead to enlightened thinking in the audience and at home.

What happens? Dimbelby immediately jumps on it.

Question Time is the front page of The Sun/Mirror for 11+ failures. It's a complete waste of time, money and effort.

One would hope that they could dramatically improve it by sacking Dimbleby and putting someone like Andrew Neil in the chair, but I daresay the remit would be so restrictive he wouldn't do it, and let's face it he's not Bullingdon so he's no chance.

But as things do actually deteriorate they will have to shift their stance, or lose any credibility? nothing major has hit Joe public yet, greece will be the start?

actually michael portaloo was on one of those lunchtime business/politics programmes a couple of days back and he says he's actually getting quite scared about the situation.

..a few months back he was still of similar opinion but rather more reserved about it...so whatever is going on,the ante has well and truly been upped and this is going to be for considerably higher stakes than even the most ardent of the world government advocates has envisioned.

they said by consent or conquest,looks like the declaration of war has begun.

These people genuinely think the world will end if their precious status quo is disturbed.

Oh my god imagine a world where people can't afford new cars, sky tv, ipads and really expensive homes.

Imagine a world where the unemployed don't get unlimited benefits but get basic accomodation and free food which is what they need to survive.

Let Greece go bankrupt, let the UK go bankrupt if that is what needs to happen. All we are doing now is keeping the people at the top in the money whilst raping the future generations.