House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Disabled Drivers Seeing Red Over Green Parking - Sheffield Council

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/green-scene/disabled_drivers_seeing_red_over_green_parking_1_3773614

BLUE badge holders are crying foul over a Sheffield Council decision to reserve supermarket car parking spaces for expensive new low-emission vehicles when there are not enough parking places for disabled people.

ASDA says it was forced to set spaces aside at its Handsworth store for ‘green vehicles’ which can cost £18,000 or more. It was a condition of planning consent by the city council when the car park was altered.

Linda Hanley, who shops with her disabled mother Angela Allcock, aged 86, from Stradbroke, said: “I understand a lot of people have complained about this policy. For the last three weeks of going shopping at the store we have not been able to find a space in the disabled area when my mum struggles to get from the car park into the store.

David Caulfield, head of planning at Sheffield Council, said: “There are more disabled parking spaces now than before. There is no reason why ASDA can’t increase the number of disabled spaces even further.

“The green spaces were a requirement in order that ASDA could address on-site congestion issues, as well as air quality concerns from local residents. They account for only 1.4 per cent of the whole car parking facility at the superstore.”

Preferential parking for having a low emission car? This is another example of how pointless some bureaucrats jobs are.

The article doesn't state what happens if you park a high emission car in that space will you get clamped?

If people don't have these cars you are addressing nothing. I wonder how many of these low emission cars are in the Sheffield area?

Preferential parking for having a low emission car? This is another example of how pointless some bureaucrats jobs are.

The article doesn't state what happens if you park a high emission car in that space will you get clamped?

If people don't have these cars you are addressing nothing. I wonder how many of these low emission cars are in the Sheffield area?

Well isn't the point that BECAUSE of the special treatment, people might be more likely to buy one?

I might be tempted to buy a special car if e.g. could use bus lanes, and park in premium spots.

The problem here is not that there are some spaces for low-emission cars, but that there are not enough disabled ones.

Well isn't the point that BECAUSE of the special treatment, people might be more likely to buy one?

I might be tempted to buy a special car if e.g. could use bus lanes, and park in premium spots.

The problem here is not that there are some spaces for low-emission cars, but that there are not enough disabled ones.

Or that they give away badges too easily too. Everyone seems to get one. I have a friend who plays sport with us, he's got a badge. Can run the length of a football pitch but can also park in front of shops where the rest of us can't.

Maybe they could replace child parking spaces instead. We used to manage just fine with kids before they were invented. Convenient yes, essential not really.

Planning saying where people can and can't park. The world has gone mad !!!!!

Isn't it much greener for the tree huggers to walk to the suppermarket and leave their cars at home ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Maybe they could replace child parking spaces instead. We used to manage just fine with kids before they were invented. Convenient yes, essential not really.

I have a vague memory that the logic behind this was partly that if they corralled people with awkward-to-unload pushchairs/buggies/prams into one area, they could make the other parking spaces narrower thus getting an overall increase in number of slots?

my mum struggles to get from the car park into the store.

If this old lady can make it around the aisles of the supermarket to get her groceries then why does the car park present such difficulties?

If this old lady can make it around the aisles of the supermarket to get her groceries then why does the car park present such difficulties?

Often the badge is used by the people who do their shopping for them. ;)

Does it have provision for bike parking? Proper provision, as in .... well .... Sheffield stands, placed somewhere sensible?

Far too many supermarkets have nothing, leaving cyclists to fend for ourselves. Or something useless like token wheelbenders.

Does it have provision for bike parking? Proper provision, as in .... well .... Sheffield stands, placed somewhere sensible?

Far too many supermarkets have nothing, leaving cyclists to fend for ourselves. Or something useless like token wheelbenders.

Secure it to the trolly. ;)

http://www.thestar.c...rking_1_3773614

How lovely to watch two PC causes bickering with each other over the extent of their respective privileges. Whatever supermarket I go to always has most of its disabled spaces unused, you'd think 20% of the population is physically handicapped.

How about we get rid of handicapped, green and other spaces altogether and stop this nonsense?

Edited by _w_

Well, there are often other options. Hardly satisfactory of course, but voting with one's feet is as good an idea as any.

Blue badge holders may find that comment offensive. You should say voting with ones wheels.

(that's car wheels before anyone gets the wrong idea)

What if you convert a normal car to electric would that qualify to park in this space? How could they tell if its low emissions or not?

Considering the Lexus RX is a hybrid so would probably qualify for this despite being a massive great big 4x4 this does strike me as odd as it would probably take up more space than a normal disabled vehicle.

As for losing disabled spaces I can't see how it would cause a massive problem unless half the town are disabled (yet they all have cars funny that).

I guess those that have splashed out on the latest hybrid have more money to spend than those in old Fords. :huh:

+1 Indeed, what is that all about.....no seriously where is the logic?

If any car is parked it's zero emissions, I think that qualifies ;-)

+1

Furthermore, what's to stop someone slapping a sticker saying, "Converted to run on electricity" on their unmodified car and parking in one of these spaces?

Were child safety seats a legal requirement at the time?

I wouldn't have cared if they had been the furthest parking spaces from the door, but I sure as hell couldn't get my kids strapped in properly whilst parked in a standard space. not without smacking the door on the next car..

I wouldn't have cared if they had been the furthest parking spaces from the door, but I sure as hell couldn't get my kids strapped in properly whilst parked in a standard space. not without smacking the door on the next car..

That's what the strips of trim down the side of your car are there for, door bumpers.

Good point. Are you really taking the seat out each time though? My parents used to put me on their lap in the front, so they must have had to get in whilst carrying me.

I do wonder about having all the reserved spaces so near to the door. Probably though they know that families spend more so give them the best.

Also, the spaces for regular cars are too small now. I struggle to get out whenever I get a bad back, but I can't use a disabled spot. Can I just use a 'child' spot. No way, I get nagged. Feel like I have to justify parking there. Can I please have a 'temporarily disabled spot'.

What if you convert a normal car to electric would that qualify to park in this space? How could they tell if its low emissions or not?

Considering the Lexus RX is a hybrid so would probably qualify for this despite being a massive great big 4x4 this does strike me as odd as it would probably take up more space than a normal disabled vehicle.

As for losing disabled spaces I can't see how it would cause a massive problem unless half the town are disabled (yet they all have cars funny that).

Exactly.

Even the new BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics version has 109g/km so qualifies. From the outside you couldn't tell if it were the ED version or not, secondly what if you get a car without the model on the back (e.g. 320 in this case)?

Also, just reading the comments the Disabled spaces have actually increase by 5 in this supermarket.