House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Riots Hit Retail Sales Volumes

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/riots-hit-retail-sales-volumes-2355067.html

Retail sales volumes fell 0.2% in August, official figures said today, as violent riots earlier in the month triggered store closures across the country.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said while it was impossible to quantify, there was clear evidence the widespread looting in early August had an impact on retail trade.

And the next excuse will be....

I think the next excuse is warming up on the sidelines... because of the World Cup last year, comparisons with the same period in 2010 show poor growth / contraction.

If we could power our homes and cars on this ********, we'd never need another drop of oil! :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8764940/Retail-sales-fall-in-August-as-consumers-feel-the-pinch.html

It followed a 0.2pc increase in July and left sales volumes unchanged compared with a year earlier, according to the Office for National Statistics data.

"Sharply squeezed purchasing power, rising unemployment, depressed confidence and a moribund housing market are causing consumers to keep their hands in their pockets." said Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight.

"Given that total consumer spending accounts for around 65pc of GDP and consumer spending on services appears to be muted, soft retail sales does not bode well for overall GDP growth prospects in the third quarter," he added.

The ONS said it had received mixed feedback from retailers on the impact of the August riots. Some stores were directly affected by the riots, others closed early, while some retailers said their sales increased as shoppers changed their behaviour during the disturbances.

Internet sales continued to increase, with £1 in every £10 retail purchases made online in August, excluding fuel.

Considering John Lewis/Comet have reported big drops there's clearly more to this than the riots which where ultimately rather limited in scope and only last for several days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8764940/Retail-sales-fall-in-August-as-consumers-feel-the-pinch.html

Considering John Lewis/Comet have reported big drops there's clearly more to this than the riots which where ultimately rather limited in scope and only last for several days.

John Lewis blamed it on investment as sales were up. True or not I have no idea.

You see, if someone NEEDs something, they can buy it as they need it if urgent, or when its convenient if its not. So there is a a Riot in the local High Street...it can wait to Tuesday.

The sales lost are those that are not NEEDED...ie, rubber dogshit sales have fallen.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Volumes must have been up during the riots, after all most shops were stripped bare.:blink:

Indeed the stuff was flying out of the doors..... and windows.. :lol:

The weather, the leaves on the line, the bad news from the BBC putting people off, people who vote green staying away from manufactured goods, poor people, unemployed people, the ECB talking rubbish...the list goes on. Oh and nobody has any disposable income..forgot that one for a mo

August did go on to the 31st and if I'd wanted anything that I couldn't get in the 4 days of riots I would have got it in the remaining 3.5 weeks wouldn't I?

SALES OF TOUGHENED GLASS ROSE IN THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF AUGUST CAUSING FACTORIES TO POST RECORD MONTHLY ORDERS ;)

Edited by plummet expert

Ok, rents go up, inflation hits 4.5%, the number of unemployed goes up, house prices remain high, wages remain static, yet retail sales volumes fall by only 0.2%.

What am I missing?

A credit card?

The fall rains will keep people in.

As predicted on this forum, excitement over the Royal Wedding kept people away from shopping during the spring. I thought it would be hot summer weather that kept people away from the stores during the summer, but the riots are the official excuse.

Which in itself should be slightly alarming, widespread rioting in the country. But for the elites even that excuse is better than admitting the truth. That the wealth of the population is heading down, giving people less ability to consume.