House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Comet Revenues Crash 22%

Who goes to physical shops to buy electronics/white goods these days?

And once you're looking on the internet, you need to be pretty awful at maths not to work out that Comet are hardly cheap.

I can't see a reason for these guys to survive.

true...

I tend to go into these type of shops just to view different brands, then order on the internet far cheaper.

No surprises really, people haven't got the money to spend.

House sales at 2 year low.

No sale, no move. No move, no new white goods, no renovation work, no new carpets/flooring, no new kitchen / bathroom etc etc etc.

Buildng sector gets it in the neck from here on in. Watch those unemployment numbers.

No surprises really, people haven't got the money to spend.

Due to a member of family having a comet discount card we have attempted on many occaisions to buy a laptop from their stores.

They are almost incapable of selling one.

In fact if you wrote it as a sitcom then no one would believe it possible (Unless they'd been in a comet store recently)

I am surprised they are still in business.

Due to a member of family having a comet discount card we have attempted on many occaisions to buy a laptop from their stores.

They are almost incapable of selling one.

In fact if you wrote it as a sitcom then no one would believe it possible (Unless they'd been in a comet store recently)

I am surprised they are still in business.

Brilliant :lol:

I lost interest in going into these types of places when they started failing to understand the question; "how much for cash?"

The internet now wins every time, searches can be done in seconds, driving around from retailer to retailer negotiating lousy deals avoided, plus if you play the cashback sites and promo codes even more money can be saved.

About the only thing Comet offers me is the facility of physically examining the goods for suitability before I buy them elsewhere for less money, sorry :)

Perhaps they could change their business model. Charge an entrance fee so that people can have a look before they buy on the internet.

It would certainly be a shame to lose these places. If we just had the internet, how would you know what these products are like. The internet businesses are currently not having the pay the cost of showing their products physically, Comet are having to pick up that tab. Without Comet, the internet businesses may well suffer as people are no longer tempted to upgrade so often.

Perhaps they could change their business model. Charge an entrance fee so that people can have a look before they buy on the internet.

It would certainly be a shame to lose these places. If we just had the internet, how would you know what these products are like.

From other people's reviews, ownership experience and fault/repair queries - widely available on the internet!

Edited by OnlyMe

From other people's reviews, ownership experience and fault/repair queries - widely available on the internet!

Yes, it certainly wouldnt be the same as seeing the picture on the TV for yourself would it?

Which trumps the knowledge of the half wit in the store every time who doesn't even know how to work the TV remote.

Can remember the last time I was in Comet looking for a TV, the sales assistant was trying to push a deal involving a £160 HDMI cable claiming that it is essential to get the best picture possible. I said OK, plug it in and we'll have a look, this was on the top end Panasonic on the back wall. He was gob-smacked that he could see no difference between this cable and the 5 quid one that was previously used. I just walked away and left him there...

Yes, it certainly wouldnt be the same as seeing the picture on the TV for yourself would it?

You are having a laugh surely? Almost all these shops cannot even be bothered to tune in Freeview correctly.

You are having a laugh surely? Almost all these shops cannot even be bothered to tune in Freeview correctly.

Strangely enough the big ones I visit, now have first class exhibitions of TV's, normally by manufacturer. I dont know whether the manufacturers take part in these 'exhibits' as part of their sales strategy, even if the sales arent through the same retail outlet.

I blame apple..if it hasnt got the Apple logo, its sh1te, according to every follower of marketing campaigns Ive ever spoken to.

Of course, the opposite is true.

And there are lots of astroturfers out there praising their paymaster's own product and rubbishing the competition. You can't really trust these review sites.

Strangely enough the big ones I visit, now have first class exhibitions of TV's, normally by manufacturer. I dont know whether the manufacturers take part in these 'exhibits' as part of their sales strategy, even if the sales arent through the same retail outlet.

I believe the manufacturers are involved in these, most probably because they got cheesed off with seeing their equipment presented so badly. I've seen these exhibits myself and even lesser quality equipment looks better than the badly set-up better equipment out on general display. This is not good either.

And once you're looking on the internet, you need to be pretty awful at maths not to work out that Comet are hardly cheap.

I can't see a reason for these guys to survive.

I will be as soon as Curry's/Comet get the 3d TV in I am interested in.......

People who have cash under the radar they don't want the revenue to know about will still shop physically..... ;)

Brilliant :lol:

I lost interest in going into these types of places when they started failing to understand the question; "how much for cash?"

The internet now wins every time, searches can be done in seconds, driving around from retailer to retailer negotiating lousy deals avoided, plus if you play the cashback sites and promo codes even more money can be saved.

About the only thing Comet offers me is the facility of physically examining the goods for suitability before I buy them elsewhere for less money, sorry :)

Jesus you made me laugh.

I had the same experience when in a store in Reading looking to buy a new laptop.

Found one I was happy with and said, I have cash in my pocket so whats teh discount for cash..................

We dont do discounts Sir!

I replied interesting , that is a cunning business model, then I left!!

I will be as soon as Curry's/Comet get the 3d TV in I am interested in.......

People who have cash under the radar they don't want the revenue to know about , will still shop physically..... ;)

Commas are wonderful thing

Jesus you made me laugh.

I had the same experience when in a store in Reading looking to buy a new laptop.

Found one I was happy with and said, I have cash in my pocket so whats teh discount for cash..................

We dont do discounts Sir!

I replied interesting , that is a cunning business model, then I left!!

My parents got me into the whole 'how much for cash' thing, it only half and half worked around 10 years ago when I was buying stuff for my first house, but now it almost never works. At the very minimum I'd expect a couple of percent off as that is what they lose on a typical credit card transaction. They seem to be more interested in pushing finance now and are fully prepared to watch you wake away from a deal over a few percent.

Can remember when I was looking for my first three piece suite, sitting in DFS at the time, I'll never forget the line I got from the sales assistant; "It's not what you can afford now, it's what you can afford each month that matters." Crazy, I swore the next time I'd take a large bundle with me and slap it down on the table, but sadly the respect for money just isn't there anymore so there's no point. They respect credit and debt now and don't seem to understand the value and worth of real cash.

Shame really, a lot of the fun with shopping is now gone, I used to enjoy a good haggle :)

I always found comet to be better than most other computer shops like pc world, I also find they were willing to make better deals to. I bought my girlfriends last laptop from there and couldn't find the same one cheaper anywhere else online or otherwise. They even gave us a descent laptop carry bag for free and didn't try pushing any crappy antivirus software.

its also good for testing the equipment too so you can see if you like the keyboard layout etc. As mush as I prefer internet shopping some things you need to physically touch before buying

My parents got me into the whole 'how much for cash' thing, it only half and half worked around 10 years ago when I was buying stuff for my first house, but now it almost never works. At the very minimum I'd expect a couple of percent off as that is what they lose on a typical credit card transaction. They seem to be more interested in pushing finance now and are fully prepared to watch you wake away from a deal over a few percent.

Can remember when I was looking for my first three piece suite, sitting in DFS at the time, I'll never forget the line I got from the sales assistant; "It's not what you can afford now, it's what you can afford each month that matters." Crazy, I swore the next time I'd take a large bundle with me and slap it down on the table, but sadly the respect for money just isn't there anymore so there's no point. They respect credit and debt now and don't seem to understand the value and worth of real cash.

Shame really, a lot of the fun with shopping is now gone, I used to enjoy a good haggle :)

I dont think many of the daft sods in these stores know how to haggle and cut a deal. Shame it might brighten up their day a little.

Better a sale as no sale!!

Comet might be suffering like everyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was suffering more due entirely due to its threadbare staffing, poorly trained and poorly paid staff, a complete lack of grasp of service, insufficient knowledge about what they are selling, over-bearing pressure to take out "extra" warranties when the statutory warranty should suffice, reliance on insurance and warranty extras to bolster core income, poor awareness of what the market in their own goods is doing, almost complete ignorance about their own computers, inability to tune a tv set, selling too many brands rather than sticking to reliable/value brands that sell...etc etc.

Add to that their inability to restock fast sellers and over-stock on poor sellers, salesmen and women who don't bother to read up on their own products. Parachute any customer in for a day and they will manage Comet stores better than Comet do because they have the information at hand to see their stores from a customer point of view.

I'm surprised their "crash" is not more than 22%. Times might be tough, but large sheds selling electrical goods need to educate staff about how to go about selling and satisfying customers.

Comet might be suffering like everyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was suffering more due entirely due to its threadbare staffing, poorly trained and poorly paid staff, a complete lack of grasp of service, insufficient knowledge about what they are selling, over-bearing pressure to take out "extra" warranties when the statutory warranty should suffice, reliance on insurance and warranty extras to bolster core income, poor awareness of what the market in their own goods is doing, almost complete ignorance about their own computers, inability to tune a tv set, selling too many brands rather than sticking to reliable/value brands that sell...etc etc.

Add to that their inability to restock fast sellers and over-stock on poor sellers, salesmen and women who don't bother to read up on their own products. Parachute any customer in for a day and they will manage Comet stores better than Comet do because they have the information at hand to see their stores from a customer point of view.

I'm surprised their "crash" is not more than 22%. Times might be tough, but large sheds selling electrical goods need to educate staff about how to go about selling and satisfying customers.

are people still having problems with subliminal news?

keep an eye out for some astounding engineering feats sheduled to be carried out on the jubilee line soon(in time for the olympics of course)