House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Santander Has Just Lost Another Customer

I am the treasurer of a small club that holds its account with Santander.

Because we have not had a statement for a year, I rang today to ask for one.

1 The phone was auto answered, I chose option 2, again another list, this time I chose option 1

2 A recording told me that my call was being monitored etc. Then some music.

3 Then I spoke to a real person.

4 This person asked for

a Sorting code number

b Account number

c Name of account.

d My name,

e My address and post code

f My date of birth.

g Name of other person operating the account.

h Did I have any other accounts with Santander.

j What balance did we have? I told him that is why we want the statement.

He then told me that I had not answered satisactorily and he could go no further. I told him, all I want you to do is send the statement to whoever you have on your data base. He said that he could not do that????????????????????/

I asked what mistake I had made, he would not tell me.

I told him that we would be moving our account to another bank. he made no attempt to disuade me or help.

Glad to see their share price in the doldrums, maybe they will go broke. Hope they do as we only have £100 in there.

After 30 years with Abbey, I now bank with someone else.

I needed some simple monthly statements printed off. I turned up in person at the branch to get them. First couple of times they refused point blank. And when they eventually gave in and printed them off, all I heard was moaning and complaints from the counter staff. In addition, they refused to print them on Santander letterheaded paper.

Abysmal. That's the only word to describe their customer service.

As I have said before, if you have a problem with Santander via phone or branch, please write to their head office complaints unit.

They were really good when I had a problem, even got a proper letter back personalised to the specific points, all was sorted promptly.

Compared to some other banks I could mention, they did really well in sorting things out

I shouldn't have to contact their complaints unit.

I should get decent service in the first place.

That's why they're history.

It'll be the date of birth - they'll have wanted the start date of the organisation!

I have a hysterical recording of some essex girl going through security questions with me. She couldn't read UK place names at all and so I failed it as it was only after listening to it a couple of times I worked out what locations she was saying.

As I have said before, if you have a problem with Santander via phone or branch, please write to their head office complaints unit.

They were really good when I had a problem, even got a proper letter back personalised to the specific points, all was sorted promptly.

Compared to some other banks I could mention, they did really well in sorting things out

Speaking to local staff who are ex B+B, they are very unhappy about the new Santander set up. For instance, I walked into the branch to pay some cash into our club account, patiently waited in the queue, cash and paying in book in hand, when I got to the cashier, she told me that as the club has a small business accouny (Why?), I could only pay cash into the machine

'Just put your card in and follow the instructions' she said,

Thing was, I did not have the card, it was with the chairman 100 miles away.

So, as they apparently did not want to borrow our paltry £35, I left.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I am the treasurer of a small club that holds its account with Santander.

Because we have not had a statement for a year, I rang today to ask for one.

1 The phone was auto answered, I chose option 2, again another list, this time I chose option 1

2 A recording told me that my call was being monitored etc. Then some music.

3 Then I spoke to a real person.

4 This person asked for

a Sorting code number

b Account number

c Name of account.

d My name,

e My address and post code

f My date of birth.

g Name of other person operating the account.

h Did I have any other accounts with Santander.

j What balance did we have? I told him that is why we want the statement.

He then told me that I had not answered satisactorily and he could go no further. I told him, all I want you to do is send the statement to whoever you have on your data base. He said that he could not do that????????????????????/

I told him that we would be moving our account to another bank. he made no attempt to disuade me or help.

Glad to see their share price in the doldrums, maybe they will go broke. Hope they do as we only have £100 in there.

:rolleyes:

What makes me wonder is:

a) do they actively recruit unhelpful and obstructive people, or

B) do they train them to be unhelpful and obstructive, or

c) do their systems turn them into unhelpful and obstructive people, or

d) has their HR department been infiltrated by another bank who deliberately recruit unhelpful and obstructive people.

Much like how the telecoms world has been infiltrated by BT to such an extent that the norm now is for every telco to have a customer disservice department.

They were cr@p when my wife had a problem, they tried to flob off us with a £50 cheque, but after, eventually getting through to someone who gave a toss, we got another cheque for £100.

I have an account with them which has a penny in it, it's costing them money every month for them to send me a statement, result.

i was lured to open an account with the promise of 50 odd pounds bonus. but it did not like their service online banking and generally complicated conditions. when they started charging me 5 pounds because i did not have the amount of balance needed as per their conditions, i decided to shut the account. it was very tough, i went in with all my account details, utility bills and passport to confirm my identity. even then they fobbed me and eventually it took me more than a month and more charges incurred before i could shut it.

am i the only one who really hates their cheap red branding. everything is so synthetic and ugly in the branches.

anyway, i still had a credit card which i rarely used and when i made an online purchase i used once. had a balance of 22.13 pounds on it. i went in the branch with the cash to pay it. the girl at the counter was very brusque and rude. apparently they dont have any change so i had to scramble around for 3 pounds and paid her 23 pounds. she did not have 87 p to return to me and there was a problem (i dont know what)using my debit card from a different bank. so now i am 87p in credit on my account and they send me a big statement each month.

I wanted to open a 2 year fixed bond with them, told me i'd have to wait over an hour to be seen, lack of staff :D this was the 2nd time it had happened, so asked to see the manager, I told him i had been with the Abbey since 1989 and this is how you dismiss a big investment ( big to me anyway), i also told him i was closing my account, he actually said and i kid you not, lots of people say that but never do, i can believe that to be true, but not the response i would have expected from a branch manager.

Anyway, I did cancel my Business Account and i also had a current which i keep open with a £1 in it just for the hell of it :rolleyes:

I also got stung by their £5 per day charges after I left less than £10 in my account and then failed to pay in £500 one month. Never, never again.

Have they got around to implementing the faster payments that just about every other bank has, or does it still take 3 days to do an inter-bank transfer?

I too had problems with Santander - when closing an account I had to visit the branch 5 times to finally pressure them into a cheque that took 3 weeks to process. The department that handles this is in the same city!

I also was suckered in to trying to open one of their current accounts with the £100 cash back (before my above incident) however it said I needed x, x and x worth of ID which I couldn't provide at the time for my current address, fair enough, so I gave up. When I went in branch to open another account the woman told me I was already pre-auth'd and could have opened the account if I'd come in branch as I had some dormant ex A&L accounts. So why can't you link that to the online system then!?

Whats more they have 3 branches on the same street within 70m of each other (Ex Abby, Ex B&B, Ex A&L). Absolute insanity.

What makes me wonder is:

a) do they actively recruit unhelpful and obstructive people, or

B) do they train them to be unhelpful and obstructive, or

c) do their systems turn them into unhelpful and obstructive people, or

d) has their HR department been infiltrated by another bank who deliberately recruit unhelpful and obstructive people.

Much like how the telecoms world has been infiltrated by BT to such an extent that the norm now is for every telco to have a customer disservice department.

c) Is the closest.

It would be more accurate to say systems, processes and (Spanish business) culture.

Abbey were a failing basket case of a bank with poor management and just about the worst customer service in the UK when they were taken over. This has been retained and UK operation has been based around this with the added injection of Spanish culture which is very heirarchical and top down. New acquisitions rapidly get dragged down to this level. There is very little delegation in decision making with ridiculously senior people getting involved in the minutiae. Once decisions are made at the top (however ill judged) it is verboten to question or suggest alternatives that might actually work. I could go on (and on).

We recently closed our Santander savings account & moved to another bank with a higher rate. I'd not been happy having a large sum with Santander but it took getting a higher % elsewhere to persuade my partner. Anyway, she went to the branch to close the account saying we could get a better rate elsewhere - the branch manager came out to see her and started saying that Santander UK is completely separate from Spain and how the UK business was safe etc. All completely unprompted and sounded like they'd been saying the same lines a lot of times recently...