House Price Crash Forum
leicestersq

Paul Mason On Newsnight

Anyone watching Newsnight?

Paul Mason said he has some research on banks, and he said that if Greece goes down then, "I can't name the names of the banks but busted busted busted".

I wonder what he was reading?

Yep, very very bullish. Even open discussion about the breakup of the Euro leading to war!!!!

Bearish surely! :unsure:

I think it's the first time I've heard them talking of war in relation to it. What was that saying about protectionism and then war being the usual solution? It's about time these violent states were put down... we don't need them and their phony solutions.

Yep, very very bearish. Even open discussion about the breakup of the Euro leading to war!!!!

Horlicks. The mention of war is just attempt by the banks/creditors to force the Germans to bail all the PIGS out. Didn't need the euro for the previous 40-50 years did they to prevent war. Blackmail, pure and simple

No, not really, because looking forward once the 5h1t5 out the way, with debt written down or off, means people should start to rebuild in a competent and cohesive way.

Now, whether they do that is another matter..

Yes I find letting people build up a massive debt then writing it off usually puts the wind up 'em.

Horlicks. The mention of war is just attempt by the banks/creditors to force the Germans to bail all the PIGS out. Didn't need the euro for the previous 40-50 years did they to prevent war. Blackmail, pure and simple

I've read that there is precedence for the assertion. I can't remember where (probably here?) that currency block failures usually end in violence.

No, not really, because looking forward once the 5h1t5 out the way, with debt written down or off, means people should start to rebuild in a competent and cohesive way.

Now, whether they do that is another matter..

From that perspective, I would tend to agree - I would be pleased to see it all collapse too - but I shouldn't think the markets would be too bullish about it!

I've read that there is precedence for the assertion. I can't remember where (probably here?) that currency block failures usually end in violence.

I really can't see it. What they gonna do, nuke each other with tactical nuclear warheads ? Leave half of europe uninhabitable for the next 100,000 years ? It aint gonna happen.

Edited by petetong

If I borrow £1,000 from you and then, because of spectacular bad luck cannot pay it back, but I come to you and say, "here is £750, can we call it quits?" - that is a controlled default.

Prime Minister George Papandreou The Greek PM will hold a conference call this afternoon with his French and German counterparts

If I borrow £1,000 from you and you ring me up and you get directory inquiries in the Dominican Republic - that is an uncontrolled default.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14915333

I hope an independent Scotland get to mint their own then.

Yep, very very bearish. Even open discussion about the breakup of the Euro leading to war!!!!

over-zealous attempts at consolidation of the euro are likely to lead to war as well.

Ultimately if they want to survive then they have to learn to BACK THE F*** OFF!.

I'd prefer to see more consolidation of NATO...that would shut the EU-counter-punchers up once and for all.It's no wonder uncle sam wants nothing to do with europe if it carries on the way it is.....EU will not be looking so smug when they have to pay for their escapades with their own lives.

+1

And perhaps to prepare the British public for their participation in the bailout.

I really can't see it. What they gonna do, nuke each other with tactical nuclear warheads ? Leave half of europe inhabitable for the next 100,000 years ? It aint gonna happen.

Who knows? Perhaps it will start with the UK supporting a 'popular uprising' in an eastern European state, who is imposing terrible austerity on its populous. Such 'support' wouldn't be unusual, considering recent events in Africa. Perhaps Russia, flexing its new muscle over the EU would move in to 'protect' against 'foreign occupation' or some such... and so it would begin.

I'm not saying it is likely, but then I never thought they would print money to 'fix' the problem. I also didn't expect the Euro to collapse so quickly. Looking into the future, it's hard to know what to expect (other than the unexpected).

One thing is for sure, TPTB like a good war to sort things out. They will be safe and sound ofc, ready to benefit from the post war boom. Sick? Certainly. Impossible? Nope.

I hope an independent Scotland get to mint their own then.

Why ask the state to mint any at all? Just use free market currency and tell the state to feck off.

EDIT: To add, why just an independent Scotland? People could just buy a couple of hundred acres, secede and declare independence.

Edited by Traktion

Just wait until This Week resumes next week (on Thursday)... Brillo and Portillo will be loving this over the coming months!! :lol::ph34r:

I was thinking that too! :lol:

Grizzly, grey George Magnus and his gruesome "gulp" comment; Emily Matliss' nervous glances at "barrel of a gun"' Balls and Mason's list of the damned, with hints of war and a completely fatalistic pair of Greek and German bookend economists offering no hope...

A horror show.

The US dont want the Euro nation to work, if it does that the euro becomes the next global currency.

I've heard this 'meme' before, extended to imply it's all a Washington plot. It may be true that the US fears/feared a new Euro-led world but how can it be credible that it somehow manufactured this crisis which is based on home-grown political and economic problems?

I've heard this 'meme' before, extended to imply it's all a Washington plot. It may be true that the US fears/feared a new Euro-led world but how can it be credible that it somehow manufactured this crisis which is based on home-grown political and economic problems?

The effect of ratings agencies for a start and the cohort of investment banks and hedge funds running on the back of their prognostications.

The effect of ratings agencies for a start and the cohort of investment banks and hedge funds running on the back of their prognostications.

Would the bond markets deliberately sabotage the euro in order to play a pro-dollar long game if it might lead to a chaotic depression; are they really that reckless and rigged?