House Price Crash Forum
Self Employed Youth

I Am The One In Five...

Youth unemployment

The unemployment rate for 16 to 24 year olds was 20.8 per cent of the economically active population in the three months to July 2011, up 1.6 percentage points from the three months to April 2011. There were 973,000 unemployed 16 to 24 year olds in the three months to July 2011, up 78,000 from the three months to April 2011.

The number of unemployed 16 to 17 year olds increased by 1,000 on the quarter to reach 203,000 and the number of unemployed 18 to 24 year olds rose by 77,000 on the quarter to reach 769,000.

In accordance with international guidelines, people in full-time education are included in the youth unemployment estimates if they are looking for employment and are available to work. Excluding people in full-time education, there were 709,000 unemployed 16 to 24 year olds in the three months to July 2011, up 91,000 from the three months to April 2011. The unemployment rate for 16 to 24 year olds not in full-time education was 19.9 per cent of the economically active population, up 2.2 percentage points from the three months to April 2011.

http://www.ons.gov.u...th-unemployment

UB40 (named after the unemployment benefit booklet) sung one in ten.

Now the unemployment claim booklet is called EB40 and youth unemployment is ONE in FIVE.

Edited by Unemployed Again Youth

Youth unemployment

The unemployment rate for 16 to 24 year olds was 20.8 per cent of the economically active population in the three months to July 2011, up 1.6 percentage points from the three months to April 2011. There were 973,000 unemployed 16 to 24 year olds in the three months to July 2011, up 78,000 from the three months to April 2011.

The number of unemployed 16 to 17 year olds increased by 1,000 on the quarter to reach 203,000 and the number of unemployed 18 to 24 year olds rose by 77,000 on the quarter to reach 769,000.

In accordance with international guidelines, people in full-time education are included in the youth unemployment estimates if they are looking for employment and are available to work. Excluding people in full-time education, there were 709,000 unemployed 16 to 24 year olds in the three months to July 2011, up 91,000 from the three months to April 2011. The unemployment rate for 16 to 24 year olds not in full-time education was 19.9 per cent of the economically active population, up 2.2 percentage points from the three months to April 2011.

Now the unemployment claim booklet is called EB40 and youth unemployment is ONE in FIVE.

INRI

National Insurance

Inland Revenue

What 'they' nail you to the cross with!

- witty devils dss (SS latinised = Saints (or Nazis?))

I was a kid when the original track was released, and coupled with The Specials track 'Ghost Town', made for a very depressing start to the eighties!

Anybody got any stats on youth emploment between 1980-83? FAR fewer of us went to university, that's for sure :(

Youth unemployment

I would gladly be unemployed... if get to be 24 again :)

i am too

pointless waste of time degree, theres so many ******ing twats going to university, masters of engineering, 1st, 4 years, 30k debt, got a piece of paper i might aswell burn and shit on just to make me feel happier

also you are up against 10x as many people from other countries as well applying

i know for a fact that my 'unpaid' internship last year had over 50 applicants and about 6 of them were from britain

ive come close to killing myself, i really have no future, unless i earn 80k a year i wont ever have kids, and i dont think i can bare to have kids where both parents spend 8-6 working, they will grow up ******ed

wish i lived back in the 1810s tbh

if it were only that simple.the kids haven't got a chance of paying off the detbs we've stacked up for them.seriously,can't wait till unemployed again youth gets power and tells us to f*** off.

At the minute they've got limited chances of getting a job, so they won't be paying anything off....

My eldest leaves college next year and I'm dreading how difficult it might be for him to find work in the current climate. Currently giving him a gentle kick up the **** that doing voluntary work is a good idea.

i am too

pointless waste of time degree, theres so many ******ing twats going to university, masters of engineering, 1st, 4 years, 30k debt, got a piece of paper i might aswell burn and shit on just to make me feel happier

also you are up against 10x as many people from other countries as well applying

i know for a fact that my 'unpaid' internship last year had over 50 applicants and about 6 of them were from britain

ive come close to killing myself, i really have no future, unless i earn 80k a year i wont ever have kids, and i dont think i can bare to have kids where both parents spend 8-6 working, they will grow up ******ed

Wouldn't the mortality rate in 1810 been around 1 in 5 children? So there would be a high chance we wouldn't be having this discussion.

i am too

get a grip. there are probably about 5 billion people on this planet that are in a worse position than you, and they might have jobs working 14 hours a day, yet youre still better off than them.

you sound like you think things should be handed to you on a plate.

ill bet even your parent took low paid jobs , worked long hours to make ends meet, and support you, yet you think you deserve what you want.

1810? you only have to look back 50 years to see people working long hours, doing hard manual labour, just to get by and not even get a fraction of what opportunities, and wealth that you have today. do a job sitting at a desk working on a computer? your parents generation wish they could have had that luxury.

i am too

Oh get over yourself you self absorbed ......

If you had the slightest sense of history, or had ever travelled the world with your eyes open you would know that compared to the vast majority of people in the world, let alone within the history of human civilisation you are immensely privileged and lucky to be born in this country and in this time.

Your biggest hold up in life is going to be your own narcissistic attitude. You seem to developed insane expectations with no acceptance that you don't actually have any useful skills, going to university does not provide you will skills, it just keeps you off the street for a few years. If an employer is going to take you on it is solely because they spot a positive can-do attitude from someone who can be moulded into something useful, and yes, you will be paid shit while your being moulded, get over it, your not worth any-more.

When I left uni I worked in a factory for several months for minimum wage and used my evenings learning everything I could about what was going on in finance and researching potential employers so when I turned up at interviews I know their business really well, eventually someone gave me a chance on £15k a year (2001) and these days I'm on close to £80k, but that's from always going the extra mile, and always maintaining a positive focused attitude, not sat around waiting for the world to fall into my lap with a fat job and salary I was not worth at the time.

And yes, even on my salary today its still hard to buy a family home in a bit of London that my kids would not get stabbed in. But I never loose sight of the fact I am a hell of a lot luckier than another 5 billion people who would give their teeth to get to work minimum wage in this country and live in a bedsit, and they are not threatening to kill themselves unless BAA fooking graduate scheme takes them on.

[i am the one in five]

I like it!

So much, I got my own (post two):

http://www.creditcru...al-rises-again/

Edit: Sorry, that was an innapropriate response wasn't it?

This is actually terribly sad and a tragedy for those in this situation.

sad.gif

Edited by Timm

Wouldn't the mortality rate in 1810 been around 1 in 5 children? So there would be a high chance we wouldn't be having this discussion.

1 in 3

yes, but i firmly state that having your children die, struggling to find/hunt for food are all natural processes, its part of human nature, they dont cause stress

i never felt any stress when my relatives died, i just knew that it was nature, but the stress i feel about getting a job and a mortgage and doing that degree was insane

Youth unemployment

There's more to life than work when your in your Yoof

I like it!

So much, I got my own (post two):

http://www.creditcru...al-rises-again/

Edit: Sorry, that was an innapropriate response wasn't it?

This is actually terribly sad and a tragedy for those in this situation.

sad.gif

If you can't laugh you might aswell kill yourself. laugh.gif

My friend is a DJ, so I might have a got at remixing it, something to occupy my time, and the comedy value is there, not to mention it highlighting the unemployment situation. I could put it on my phone and play it in the JC+ when I sign!

Somebody linked to an oddtodd clip the other day, and I was in hysterics, because it was my first day of unemployment in nearly a year and I'd decided to have a 'lazy day'.

I actually mentioned this song and the one in five lyric on a different forum over a year ago, and a few days after there was an article in the guardian with the 'one in five' reference. Perhaps I should send off a few speculative letters to the likes of the guardian about precarious employment, and maybe an exact opposite letter the dailymail and see if they are interested smile.gif

There's more to life than work when your in your Yoof

I'm a grumpy old man trapped inside a young mans body, there is nothing I would like more than to go down post office, bookies and wetherspoons and come back to mavis's pie and peas before moaning over the 6o'clock news!

When I left uni I worked in a factory for several months for minimum wage and used my evenings learning everything I could about what was going on in finance and researching potential employers so when I turned up at interviews I know their business really well, eventually someone gave me a chance on £15k a year (2001) and these days I'm on close to £80k, but that's from always going the extra mile, and always maintaining a positive focused attitude, not sat around waiting for the world to fall into my lap with a fat job and salary I was not worth at the time.

Nowdays you need to be fully moulded and functioning employee, if you need any training then there aren't many companies willing to expend resources to train and 'mould' people. Why would they bother when they can pick an already trained person from the large pool of willing would-be workers?

A person at 16 40-50 years ago would've had a job no problem, a final salary pension too, now the same 16 year old would be lucky to get a job and has zero chance of a final salary pension. Luck and timing are everything, which also applies to timing of birth in relation to housing, pensions, university fees etc.

You've got your brains. With an average brain and nothing more than KS2 maths a school maths teacher (of all people) built a 200 property empire. OK the example is not the best one, he f*cked it up in the end and the exploitative nature of property hoarding is distasteful. But the principle remains.

Most people don't use their brains. Use yours and you'll be the one eyed in the kingdom of the blind. Solutions and opportunities are out there for those who look for them. And stop moaning about the shit that's put in your way, there is nothing you can do about that.

I'm a grumpy old man trapped inside a young mans body, there is nothing I would like more than to go down post office, bookies and wetherspoons and come back to mavis's pie and peas before moaning over the 6o'clock news!

If you have any savings and no ties i would suggest a spot of travel round SE Asia, the living's cheap, weathers hot and the education is priceless.

Oh get over yourself you self absorbed ......

If you had the slightest sense of history, or had ever travelled the world with your eyes open you would know that compared to the vast majority of people in the world, let alone within the history of human civilisation you are immensely privileged and lucky to be born in this country and in this time.

Your biggest hold up in life is going to be your own narcissistic attitude. You seem to developed insane expectations with no acceptance that you don't actually have any useful skills, going to university does not provide you will skills, it just keeps you off the street for a few years. If an employer is going to take you on it is solely because they spot a positive can-do attitude from someone who can be moulded into something useful, and yes, you will be paid shit while your being moulded, get over it, your not worth any-more.

And yes, even on my salary today its still hard to buy a family home in a bit of London that my kids would not get stabbed in. But I never loose sight of the fact I am a hell of a lot luckier than another 5 billion people who would give their teeth to get to work minimum wage in this country and live in a bedsit, and they are not threatening to kill themselves unless BAA fooking graduate scheme takes them on.

Give this guy some slack, he is just yearning for what he was led to belive would be his lifestyle. He like so many people I know have grown to expect to own more and more stuff, not his fault as this was the case for quite some time. The unfortunate reality is the gravy train just de railed a bit and he is now looking at paying for some of the stuff we now ALL own. I have to say, it was nice to hear what he is saying as it means even the UNI lot are starting to see the reality of the situation. Lets hope they all don't feel like killing htemselves before they realise how easy it is to downgrade your expectations of a huge house with a new car or 2 and massive plasma and learn to be happy in a nice semi with a couple of reasonably priced 2nd hand cars etc. I would love a big house etc but I cannot afford one, better not to buy one and have enough money to have fun (lifestye) than have one and have no money!

Paul.

If you can't laugh you might aswell kill yourself. laugh.gif

My friend is a DJ, so I might have a got at remixing it, something to occupy my time, and the comedy value is there, not to mention it highlighting the unemployment situation. I could put it on my phone and play it in the JC+ when I sign!

Somebody linked to an oddtodd clip the other day, and I was in hysterics, because it was my first day of unemployment in nearly a year and I'd decided to have a 'lazy day'.

I actually mentioned this song and the one in five lyric on a different forum over a year ago, and a few days after there was an article in the guardian with the 'one in five' reference. Perhaps I should send off a few speculative letters to the likes of the guardian about precarious employment, and maybe an exact opposite letter the dailymail and see if they are interested smile.gif

Sound like a good plan.

I've no idea how many "proper" bands / DJs / writers / actors etc started their careers whilst on the dole, but I suspect it was most of them.

Try not to think about the boom times. They were an unsustainable mirage enjoyed temporarily by the minority. Don't lust after the opportunities missed, or if you could have been born the right year. Make your own opportunities, never live in regret.

Luck is opportunity multiplied by preparation.

Get some fight into you. You are a caged tiger, who cuts his teeth in bear markets! Fight, Fight, Fight!

---

Travelling to poorer countries also gets yourself some perspective on some things in life, and finding the meaning of life. Stay away from the fancy shopping centres with car parks filled with BMWs and Audis.

Edited by Money Spinner