House Price Crash Forum
Bloo Loo

Big Discounts From Homebuilders

Daughter just came back from Germany where her BF is a trooper.

They are thinking of getting a place together and as they looked at the notice boards she noticed something.

She noticed that newbuilders IN THE UK were offering a deal where there was 30% off the asking price for army purchasers.

I asked...was this a loan or a genuine discount, or was it a subsidy.

She didnt know, but the example she gave for Colchester was "normal price £168,000, Army price £124,000"

The figures may be wrong, but does anybody here have more info about this "scheme"?

Barratts do a discount scheme of £1,000 off per £25,000, but that is all I can see, so doesn't look like it is a Government scheme.

http://www.barrattho...orces-Discount/

Thanks for that...deffo the figures were much higher than that...she was quite excited by that....It could just have been an Agency ploy though I suppose.

I smell desperation.

I know nothing about this deal, but it has the whiff of a housebuilder trying to have his cake and eat it, selling at a high price to UK locals but cheaper abroad where (they hope) UK locals won't notice.

(I think daughter should check out prices in Germany to help her decide what kind of value for money she'd be getting in the UK.)

Daughter just came back from Germany where her BF is a trooper.

They are thinking of getting a place together and as they looked at the notice boards she noticed something.

She noticed that newbuilders IN THE UK were offering a deal where there was 30% off the asking price for army purchasers.

I asked...was this a loan or a genuine discount, or was it a subsidy.

She didnt know, but the example she gave for Colchester was "normal price £168,000, Army price £124,000"

The figures may be wrong, but does anybody here have more info about this "scheme"?

It sounds like a quiet government subsidy to homebuilders.

It sounds like a quiet government subsidy to homebuilders.

It is: My link

Members of the armed forces are to be offered a 50 per cent discount on homes, in a £20 million pilot administered by the Homes and Communities Agency.

Under the scheme, the government will give members of the armed forces up to 50 per cent of the value of a home, to buy properties anywhere in England. Participants will be able to sub let their homes while they are serving abroad.

The Ministry of Defence is funding the pilot, which will run until 2013. The funding will be administered by the Homes and Communities Agency, which has appointed housing association Swaythling Housing Society to manage the scheme.

Junior housing minister Ian Austin said: ‘We want to help our servicemen and women buy a home of their own that meets the needs of their unique situation.’

Defence minister Kevan Jones added: ‘Getting a first foot on the property ladder is an important step in any young person’s life. By providing the flexibility to live anywhere in England and giving applicants the opportunity to sub let when they are working away from home, we have delivered a scheme that is tailor-made to meet the unique needs of the armed forces.’

There was a book of discounts for 'Armed Forces' that used to do the rounds. Can't remember what it was called but NAAFI used to advertise heavily in there. I'd guess that this deal will be in there along with 'cheap' mortgages, 10% off Blacks, houses, toilet paper etc etc. Never floated my boat and nothing special over and above what we civvies couldn't haggle ourselves.

Perhaps it is a way to shift a few bits of stock without downgrading the price of all of them.

If the developer has 100 units at 160k, debt up to his eyeballs, then by flogging off 25 units at 125k he can get some liquidity. Of course, if that were the new market price his creditors would shit all over him, but as it is only a limited run for the army boys and girls, he can claim the rest are still worth 160k each.

This could work in Colchester where there is a large military presence in addition to the civilians.

It is: My link

I stand corrected. A bonus for our troops but not for the HPCer. I'd rather they waited until houses had deflated 50% so we taxpayers didn't have to throw good money their way.

The Armed Services provide affordable homes to rent. A mate of mine pays less than £200 a month for a perfectly adequate 2.5 bedroom home near windsor.

I smell desperation.

I know nothing about this deal, but it has the whiff of a housebuilder trying to have his cake and eat it, selling at a high price to UK locals but cheaper abroad where (they hope) UK locals won't notice.

(I think daughter should check out prices in Germany to help her decide what kind of value for money she'd be getting in the UK.)

what she DID notice most was the size of the flats on offer....so large!

So, here also we have a £20million public debt subsidy for troopers.....and a boost for housebuilders.....sure, troops dont earn much, but really, an trooper should be able to get a reasonable mortgage and buy a reasonable place...WITHOUT a hand out from the Government.

People who have been based abroad ie Germany face lots of problems when trying to secure a mortgage back in the UK

the cheap house price offers for troops has been going on for quite some time ,I went to a Persimmons roadshow about 4 years ago

in Germany just to be arguementative. The discounts available were in the 10-20% range which at the time I reckon most people would have been able to haggle for.Had a great debate with a saleswomen re the state of the market and told her not to invest in property but to invest in gold instead .I'm looking forward to bumping into her again .Yes troops quarters are cheap not as cheap as someone on HB

and they do get moved around frequently every 2-3 yrs so I have no problem with them gettin a discounted opportunity for a home of their own

what she DID notice most was the size of the flats on offer....so large!

So, here also we have a £20million public debt subsidy for troopers.....and a boost for housebuilders.....sure, troops dont earn much, but really, an trooper should be able to get a reasonable mortgage and buy a reasonable place...WITHOUT a hand out from the Government.

Errm, so roughly 200 discounted houses then?