House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nmarks

Wenger: European Game Will Soon Be Engulfed By The Financial Crisis

Link

Arsene Wenger believes a financial cataclysm will soon engulf Europe, in months, if not weeks, finally affecting a sport which has so far appeared immune to the economic depression provoked by the banking crisis. Such is Wenger's focus on football he sounded disappointed that the day of fiscal reckoning had not already arrived to create a level playing field in this season's Champions League, but he felt it would soon do so.

Yurp, it would appear, has scored a spectacular own-goal.

Link

Yurp, it would appear, has scored a spectacular own-goal.

He's obviously a deflationist hence his reluctance to spend Arsenals burgeoning current account on players.

This would explain Wengers reluctance to spend £50million quid on some bloke who can run about a bit and klck a ball in a straight line.

I listen to 5 live and Wegner gets slated by the fans for not spending BIG,.

I suspect Wegner is a member of this site :lol:

I suspect the everton board also know that there is no point spending millions just so you can get into more debt and finish 6th, it makes no sense.

We also had this news yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14905815

Celtic fans will love that news...but they might find they need Rangers more than they hate them.

If sky subscriptions start to fall, which they might if people are skint then football will be in BIG trouble.

...yes ..could soon be a one horse race... :rolleyes:

It might end up a no horse race at this rate.

I think Arsenal and some of the other clubs are right not to join in the mad spending. When the economic reality strikes they will be well placed to profit from this. You could see a team like Arsenal dominate for 10 years if they play their cards right.

This would explain Wengers reluctance to spend £50million quid on some bloke who can run about a bit and klck a ball in a straight line.

I listen to 5 live and Wegner gets slated by the fans for not spending BIG,.

I suspect Wegner is a member of this site :lol:

I suspect the everton board also know that there is no point spending millions just so you can get into more debt and finish 6th, it makes no sense.

We also had this news yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14905815

Celtic fans will love that news...but they might find they need Rangers more than they hate them.

If sky subscriptions start to fall, which they might if people are skint then football will be in BIG trouble.

I would've thought that Sky subs would be one of the first casualties of economic hard times but it appears that they are now considered a basic necessity by your average chav, unemployed or not.

Where else would you get the 24x7, wall-to-wall flood of high-def, 3D prolefeed to fill your massive flatscreen telly?

When Sky subs actually show a decline then we'll really know that recession has hit.

It might end up a no horse race at this rate.

I think Arsenal and some of the other clubs are right not to join in the mad spending. When the economic reality strikes they will be well placed to profit from this. You could see a team like Arsenal dominate for 10 years if they play their cards right.

.....sure...are you an Arsenal supporter..?...or is your second name Wenger....?.... :rolleyes:

I would've thought that Sky subs would be one of the first casualties of economic hard times but it appears that they are now considered a basic necessity by your average chav, unemployed or not.

Where else would you get the 24x7, wall-to-wall flood of high-def, 3D prolefeed to fill your massive flatscreen telly?

When Sky subs actually show a decline then we'll really know that recession has hit.

Yes, I agree.

Sky subscription levels are probably a key indicator, when they drop then we know reality has hit the chavs

EDIT;

There's that word depression mentioned again, that;s 3 times i've seen it recently:

"economic depression provoked by the banking crisis"

8-2 hurts that bad eh Arsene?

Given the recent profit figures at Man Utd, I doubt if they will be engulfed in any crisis, there debt problems appear to be behind them.

I wonder if the Green and Gold will disappear too?

Given the recent profit figures at Man Utd, I doubt if they will be engulfed in any crisis, there debt problems appear to be behind them.

The Asian stock market float seemed a little sudden. :rolleyes:

Sky have not increased prices this year, I suspect they know people are at the limit.

I've long been expecting a drop off in Sky figures so far it's not happened but once economic reality hits home I really can't see Sky escaping.

Your avg club can't compete with the likes of Chelsea / Man City and the salaries paid to some players are unsustainable.

Sky have been spending alot on advertising their price freezes till at least August next year, which suggests that they are not immune and realise the need to show they aren' t putting prices up.

I think Wenger's comments are very interesting.

If you stop and think about the circles he moves in - Arsenal is full of rich people nowadays isn't it, from bankers to media luvvies to journos. He also has good connections in France and Arsenal is owned by the family who rule... which Middle Eastern country is it - Dubai isn't it.

In other words, he could have been listening to some very interesting financial info re what is actually going on behind the scenes with the banks, the EU, etc.

I take his words as a warning, if we needed one.

Please don't credit the Everton board with any foresight.

The reason for the current problems lack of ability to "compete" is because they've missed just about every opportunity open to them for about 25 years.

Please don't credit the Everton board with any foresight.

The reason for the current problems lack of ability to "compete" is because they've missed just about every opportunity open to them for about 25 years.

I do have some sympathy with Everton. It`s not only because they can not afford the transfer fee for players but the astronomical personal terms the players demand to live anywhere near Liverpool. :D

We should start footballerpricecrash.com. Lots to discuss re weekend results and overseas leagues etc that could replace discussing the Haliwides and US house prices. Black Monday threads would be replaced by Black Saturday afternoon threads when people predict the number of goals Swansea concedes etc.

We should start footballerpricecrash.com. Lots to discuss re weekend results and overseas leagues etc that could replace discussing the Haliwides and US house prices. Black Monday threads would be replaced by Black Saturday afternoon threads when people predict the number of goals Swansea concedes etc.

:lol::lol::lol:

For those who don't follow football, a little insight for you regarding the madness.

An average/typical player in the premier leage can expect a weekly wage of at least £30k.

Most top players earn easily above £100k (a week)

The top dogs, £200k + (a week).

It isn't hard for most of us on here to work out where this is going.

For those who don't follow football, a little insight for you regarding the madness.

An average/typical player in the premier leage can expect a weekly wage of at least £30k.

Most top players earn easily above £100k (a week)

The top dogs, £200k + (a week).

It isn't hard for most of us on here to work out where this is going.

I heard that lots of Welsh footie and rugby players got into property during the boom, both in Swansea and in Cardiff.

Rumours on the grapevine are that several got badly stung, want to sell up, wish they had not got into property.

LOL I take it you aren't being serious?

For others out there that don't follow football. ManU have massive debts in the form of bonds and loans, they restructured the debts last year to push off the impending repayments thereby making the club look like it was in profit, ready for the flotation on the far east stock exchange. In no way is ManU above the water. Net debt of £308 million!!! Yes really, a sports team has that much debt. Annual interest payments increased to £43.5m.

Interestingly this is how a club makes itself look attractive

Pre-tax profits rose from a loss of £14.9m in 2010 to £29.7m boosted by a £16.4m exchange rate gain on the company’s US dollar debts. That helped compensate for a slimmer profit margin which declined nearly 2 percentage points to 33.5 per cent. Operating profit increased by more than £9m to £110.8m.

Basically the exchange rates are doing it a massive favour ... for now.

Edit: linky thing in case you are interested

And IMPO ManU are one of the riskiest clubs. Chelsea and Man City one of the safest with free money from super rich owners. Arsenal have a 20 year mortgage at 6.6% with cash reserves covering about half of this. Pretty shrewd and safe from Arsenal.