House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Winter Of Discontent Ahead As Unions To Ballot For Strike Over Pensions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8761957/Winter-of-discontent-ahead-as-unions-to-ballot-for-strike-over-pensions.html

As disclosed by The Daily Telegraph today, the strikes will be the biggest since the Winter of Discontent since 1926.

Rolling strikes are planned, running through spring and into summer 2012, threatening to disrupt the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics.

In a series of speeches to delegates at the TUC’s annual conference in London, union leaders lined up to criticise Government plans to force public sector workers to work longer and pay more for their pensions.

The biggest public sector unions – Unite, Unison and GMB – said they intended to ballot for strike action in November.

Meanwhile the pretence that all of this can be afforded will continue.

Rolling strikes are planned, running through spring and into summer 2012, threatening to disrupt the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics

they will get what every they demand, they MUST not be allowed to disrupt the Olympics.

i would sack them all

'

...continued misplaced sense of entitlement...they don't realise it...the cake's all gone....went when Gordo 'retired'....reality is hard to face... :rolleyes:

'

...continued misplaced sense of entitlement...they don't realise it...the cake's all gone....went when Gordo 'retired'....reality is hard to face... :rolleyes:

reality 1540s, originally a legal term in the sense of "fixed property," from M.L. realitatem (nom. realitas)

Slight difference between 'fixed property' and Masonic 'reality' teaching prats the Matrix-style table is actually an illusion made of electrons de facto

Carbon is found throughout the explored Universe and is constantly recycled - unlike electrons

'Diamond' geezers

Edited by erranta

Bearing in mind that while public employees are on strike the public purse will not have to pay them - could these strikes not assist the country's financial situation ?

After all, most of these people are superfluous to requirements anyway. We really do not need diversity co-ordinators, etc - the longer they strike the more money we save..

As disclosed by The Daily Telegraph today, the strikes will be the biggest since the Winter of Discontent since 1926 The great depression.

...which...?...Winter of Discontent was 1979....under Labour ...'couldn't bury the dead' time.... :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind that while public employees are on strike the public purse will not have to pay them - could these strikes not assist the country's financial situation ?

After all, most of these people are superfluous to requirements anyway. We really do not need diversity co-ordinators, etc - the longer they strike the more money we save..

Doesn't work like that.

The state, not being stupid manages to grab hold of everything important and bottleneck it so as to extort it's taxes.

This means the whole economy is fecked when they don't turn up to work.

Time for some serious brinkmanship. The govt must call their bluff. And come the Olympics must appeal to them to do their patriotic duty or suffer eternal vilification. (Perhaps the Act of Parliament that enabled the Olympics should have had clauses making striking a criminal offense.)

....And come the Olympics must appeal to them to do their patriotic duty or suffer eternal vilification. ...

...agreed ...they could enter the three legged race ..followed by the egg and spoon ...but of course Health and Safety will prevent them.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Time for some serious brinkmanship. The govt must call their bluff. And come the Olympics must appeal to them to do their patriotic duty or suffer eternal vilification. (Perhaps the Act of Parliament that enabled the Olympics should have had clauses making striking a criminal offense.)

It's only a sporting event :ph34r:

All you need to know is that Average Joe, who wants nothing more than an affordable roof and some food on his table will end up losing out.

It was ever thus, and short of armed revolution, always will be.

Perhaps they already are ....

The only way to reinstate pensions is to ensure that interest rates are high - anyone buying an annuity right now is stuffed.

Perhaps by getting all the big unions to show their hands and commit fully to force the pensions issue, they are going to use this as a means to push rates back up to 8% where they should be!

Perhaps they already are ....

The only way to reinstate pensions is to ensure that interest rates are high - anyone buying an annuity right now is stuffed.

Perhaps by getting all the big unions to show their hands and commit fully to force the pensions issue, they are going to use this as a means to push rates back up to 8% where they should be!

I think you're crediting them with far more brains than they actually have. :P

Plus they don't need an excuse to raise interest rates - inflation is already 2x target and more.

...which...?...Winter of Discontent was 1979....under Labour ...'couldn't bury the dead' time.... :rolleyes:

For what you practise now - you are the walking dead!

Reality >>

Lukewarms > "I shall spit you out of my mouth"

AYR = AIR (anagrams=RAY YAR)

RAY -

beam of light," c.1300, from O.Fr. rai (nom. rais) "ray, spoke," from L. radius "ray, spoke, staff, rod"

"type of fish related to sharks," early 14c., from Fr. raie

Airs and g-races from Old Fr 'air' = 'high spirits' 'pride'

1590s, "manner, appearance" (e.g. an air of mystery); 1650s, "assumed manner, Affected Appearance"

(especially in phrase put on airs, 1781), from Fr. air "look, appearance, mien, bearing, tone" (eton)

"Mammon" or "Mann" the false god of riches

Yet again the Rutland Belvoir 'Beavers' Manners are revealed

(Beavers favorite trees for 'gideoning' ASH, Willow, Oak, Alder, spruce, birch etc)

Edited by erranta

Of course it's affordable. They wouldn't be locking up people at a cost of £40k a year for £3 bottles of water otherwise. Also Gaddaffi is soon going to be toast, so there's £10 milion a week saved already.

Edited by PopGun

Dave Prentisaurus, Bob Vulture and their ilk are stupid, but not that stupid. It isn't the equality and diversity officers who'll be going on strike, but tube drivers, firemen, nurses ... in short, the campaign of strikes will be focused on frontline, infrastructural workers whose absence will cause serious problems.

The unions and the public sector are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can win this fight. The public sector pay bill is over £180 billion every year. Last year, we posted a record deficit of £27.4 billion. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that the UK is spending completely beyond their means. If anything, I think that the Tories aren't being anywhere near as tough as they need to. If I was chancellor, I would institute 10% pay-cuts across the board. I don't even think that is unreasonable in the current climate.

The unions and the public sector are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can win this fight. The public sector pay bill is over £180 billion every year. Last year, we posted a record deficit of £27.4 billion. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that the UK is spending completely beyond their means. If anything, I think that the Tories aren't being anywhere near as tough as they need to. If I was chancellor, I would institute 10% pay-cuts across the board. I don't even think that is unreasonable in the current climate.

Well, it is affordable is you purge the bank fraud from the system.

But that means house prices at around 20% of peak and so forth so it's not really on the table.

That's it. Erranta on ignore.

I know I take the pee out of Erranta occasionally, but I wont put him on ignore (well, not yet): When he's not doing his Dan Brown impersonation, his posts are often quite good and I wouldnt want to miss them.

It's usually fairly easy to recognize the Dennis Wheatley-type posts: He flags them up with lots of fancy fonts and you can just skim on past them without reading. biggrin.gif