House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lepista

Uk Unemployment Total Rises Sharply To 2.51 Million

Vive la recovery!

Seriously, where are all these hoardes of jobs being lost, and why haven't we been seeing big news stories about maqss redundancies lately?

And on the subject of pay for those still with a job

•Total pay (including bonuses) rose by 2.8 per cent on a year earlier. Regular pay (excluding bonuses) rose by 2.1 per cent on a year earlier.

Lousy result given yesterdays RPI figure twice as high. It's not just those who've lost a job who are worse off.

Also of note in the reports is that nearly all the extra 80,000 is youth unemployment (78,000). Looks less like mass redundancies and more like a mass refusal to take on new, young staff.

Vive la recovery!

Seriously, where are all these hoardes of jobs being lost, and why haven't we been seeing big news stories about maqss redundancies lately?

Its done more by stealth these days, especially in the service sector, no mass factory gate redundancies here. For example in my company we have been 'letting people go' by say 3 or 4 a month but this has been going on for ages so it all adds up and thats just in one location. Plus they have to sign some legal piece of paper that prevents them from discussing it to others so maybe the journos are missing the obvious.

Plus they have to sign some legal piece of paper that prevents them from discussing it to others so maybe the journos are missing the obvious.

1. Why would the company require that?

2. What are the consequences if the about-to-be ex employee refuses to sign?

seems very odd, unless they are perhaps a quite high profile company, and they can afford to pay a premium to the layoffs to keep them quiet...?

Also, it doesn't stop current employees from discussing the redundancies?

Youth unemployment at 20.8%.

Highest since records began in May 1992.

In the same week they put the retirement age up to 67.

Is it really beyond the wit of man to organise society so that people can work when they are young and retire when they are in their early 60's?

Is it really beyond the wit of man to organise society so that people can work when they are young and retire when they are in their early 60's?

It's the Polish Blanket Trick, you increase the size of the blanket by cutting a bit off the bottom and sewing it on to the top.

Sadly in this game the young are the ones being screwed over (again). For each golden oldie still in employment there is a fresh faced youngster stood in a dole queue.

Edited by MrFlibble

It's the Polish Blanket Trick, you increase the size of the blanket by cutting a bit off the bottom and sewing it on to the top.

Sadly in this game the young are the ones being screwed over (again). For each golden oldie still in employment there is a fresh faced youngster stood in a dole queue.

I'm retired but I do think there is a complacency about the level of youth unemployment; these figures are,to me, shockingly bad. We need to give youngsters much more support to help them into work otherwise they, and us, face a bleak future.

And on the subject of pay for those still with a job

•Total pay (including bonuses) rose by 2.8 per cent on a year earlier. Regular pay (excluding bonuses) rose by 2.1 per cent on a year earlier.

Lousy result given yesterdays RPI figure twice as high. It's not just those who've lost a job who are worse off.

Also of note in the reports is that nearly all the extra 80,000 is youth unemployment (78,000). Looks less like mass redundancies and more like a mass refusal to take on new, young staff.

I'd be very interested to see whether the median has risen. I suspect not as those at the top have awarded themselves disproportionately high rises.

The twin pillars of high employment and low interest rates have been proping up the housing market. Now with rising redundancies we should start to see some more sales and some decline in house prices. Once they start to fall they will tumble as it becomes a rush to get out! Good news. Also wage inflation was low which is also bad news for nominal house prices and good news for us with a hefty deposit

JSA is less than the state pension.

I didnt mean to copy and paste the quote and not sure you are allowed to do that. Obv this joke forum doesnt have an edit button. probably because after 6 months I am still a second class citizen here who cant make any new topics either. No wonder this forum is so quiet.

I think you might want to reconsider your forum name.