House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Rotten Apples

The home button of my very trendy smart phone hasn't worked properly for 3 days now. I bought it on the 27th September 2010 and have an appointment with a 'guru' tomorrow evening. I've lost faith in the product. They have told me they'll just replace the handset with a new one that I am intending to sell on 'as new'.

Can't I just reject the original phone as 'not fit for purpose' considering it's £500 price tag (i'd have expected it to last at least 3 years) and get a full refund? I have the original receipt by the way.

So far not a hint of a problem but as the global economy falters those profit margins are being squeezed by inflation and the consumer slowdown so quality of products for anything made during the downturn is going to be worse as cost cutting takes place. Quality is the one thing the Bank of England inflation basket can not monitor!

The people get what the people want, we made that choice 3-4 decades ago but moving from a European manufacturing base to the far east, people wanted cheap rather than pay a little bit extra for quality.

When you think about it a smart phone is mind blowing in what it can do. Go back to the 80's and imagine a future where all the stuff that phone can do is possible in a device small enough to fit in your pocket. The reality is that it should cost several thousand pounds, but if they were we wouldn't want one, they are so cheap because they are able to produce them in such numbers and skimp a bit on the reliability, 9/10 it will be fine but now and again you just get a duff one.

My understanding is that with electronic equipment (certainly cheap mass produced stuff) is that it's all or nothing. It won't be tested when it's made of course but if it lasts 2-3 weeks it will last it's life time, if it drops dead in that period it's a duff one, send it back and try another. There are of course occasions when there is an issue with quality with a batch of items.

I recently got a blue ray player, simply didn't work, took it back got another and that's been fine. Obviously it depends on the shop but you get the feeling by the way they treat you when you take these things back that it's not unusual.

Having said all that if you are not happy with it and it's not working, then no it's not fit for purpose.

The people get what the people want, we made that choice 3-4 decades ago but moving from a European manufacturing base to the far east, people wanted cheap rather than pay a little bit extra for quality.

When you think about it a smart phone is mind blowing in what it can do. Go back to the 80's and imagine a future where all the stuff that phone can do is possible in a device small enough to fit in your pocket. The reality is that it should cost several thousand pounds, but if they were we wouldn't want one, they are so cheap because they are able to produce them in such numbers and skimp a bit on the reliability, 9/10 it will be fine but now and again you just get a duff one.

My understanding is that with electronic equipment (certainly cheap mass produced stuff) is that it's all or nothing. It won't be tested when it's made of course but if it lasts 2-3 weeks it will last it's life time, if it drops dead in that period it's a duff one, send it back and try another. There are of course occasions when there is an issue with quality with a batch of items.

I recently got a blue ray player, simply didn't work, took it back got another and that's been fine. Obviously it depends on the shop but you get the feeling by the way they treat you when you take these things back that it's not unusual.

Having said all that if you are not happy with it and it's not working, then no it's not fit for purpose.

I will be tested when it's made, but here's the rub: it is not possible to exhaustively test it. For example, to test ALL the combinations of data in a memory stick, you'd probably need more time than the universe has.

The same is true of complicated software. It really frightens me, to think of the number of untested branches in the operating code of a nuclear power station, some of which CAN'T be tested.

CASE REACTOR OF

normal operation: proceed

abnormal operation: shutdown

Branch(2) can never be tested on the real device, you have to use dummy data and procedures.

Reject it.

They are complete tw&ts from what I've seen of most companies.

Did you pay by CC?

Read your contract

Good point, I bought it from the **** store via my user ID so it would have debited my CC. It's not in contract either and consumer rights must override store policy surely. Failing that i'll get a chargeback against the retailer.

tr1ck5t3r/gilf.

More faulty goods are slipping through the net - I've had a Phillips DVD Player/Recorder that could not read what it wrote? and a Hoover (brand) that failed within a week of purchase. I kick myself for throwing them in the bin and not returning them as at the time - I had more money than sense :rolleyes:

Even if these phones were meant to fail after just one year that is still good value relative to the computers of yesteryear... I recall forking out £1k a pop on P1s, P2s and P3s that ground to a halt after a few years use. Even without inflation doing it's magic that's a huge sum in sterling now even. In contrast my 2007 laptop (£800) gave me four years use and I expect my newest one to go on for at least five years maybe more.

Cars are the same. A few lemons (like my old Citroen C1), lots in the middle that and a few at the very top that just keep going and refuse to die. Some car manufacturers will jump on the latter ones to reinforce their image of quality and reliability, some will not... in my village there is a Robin Reliant and Talbot still going strong.

Appointment 15th September 2011

Purchased 27th September 2010

Makes more sense now but you had a years use out of it and want your money back? Chancer...

I don't think its your right to reject it. I think you're looking for a convenient excuse to get your money back as you have other iphones and this is a convenient excuse. Have you lost confidence in all your other Apple purchases?

Personally, I would be happy with a replacement (probably a refurb in its own right) and a free applecare for the next 2 years thrown in. Otherwise I would take the replacement and sell on/trade in for as much cash as I could.

Makes more sense now but you had a years use out of it and want your money back? Chancer...

I don't think its your right to reject it. I think you're looking for a convenient excuse to get your money back as you have other iphones and this is a convenient excuse. Have you lost confidence in all your other Apple purchases?

Personally, I would be happy with a replacement (probably a refurb in its own right) and a free applecare for the next 2 years thrown in. Otherwise I would take the replacement and sell on/trade in for as much cash as I could.

You are correct in that I have another iPhone4 however I never asked my old one to conveniently stop working on me. How is that chancing my arm? The other iPhone is being used solely as my home broadband*. If I take that as my own then the rest of the family don't get internet access when i'm away, that's not fair. I prey it'll last the two year contract - that is really how I feel.

If I get a replacement and not a refund then I will sell it regardless and revert back to using my old Nokia handset. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from Apple in the not so distant past and can't see that being any different tonight.

* A neighbour installed a 4kw solar array on their roof last week and it's reduced my ping time by 20milliseconds, download speed by 300-500k and upload speed by a similar sum. Must be acting as some kind of faraday cage. grhhhhh! still works though.

How is that chancing my arm?

Because you have had a year's worth of use out of the handset and now you are asking for your money back.

Where's SNACR when you need him?

Good point, I bought it from the **** store via my user ID so it would have debited my CC. It's not in contract either and consumer rights must override store policy surely. Failing that i'll get a chargeback against the retailer.

f you are meeting a 'Guru', I am guessing that by, **** you mean O2.

I've worked for several mobile phone networks, and **** stands out as a staggeringly overstaffed, disorganised, and chaotic business. I would never subscribe to their network. Good luck.

f you are meeting a 'Guru', I am guessing that by, **** you mean O2.

I've worked for several mobile phone networks, and **** stands out as a staggeringly overstaffed, disorganised, and chaotic business. I would never subscribe to their network. Good luck.

I'm using an O2 sim only deal (£15=300mins, unlimited sms and 500mg) - handset was bought via apple at full RRP and that's where i'm headed. O2 network works really well in my area that's why i'm with them. Vodafone, T-mobile and Orange don't provide any coverage, not even 1 bar. Mrs Posh is on Orange at work and has to use VOIP when working from home.

Is this the home button on the iphone - it is a common problem.

A friend of mine had the same problem, booked an appointment in Cardiff with Apple, travelled the 50 miles, paid £6 for parking, went into the store. Apple person very nice, everything was fast and efficient.

They took the phone, disappeared into the back and he returned 5 minutes later with the iphone repaired. We noticed a large circle just visible on the iphone screen where something had been used on it. No problem, the circle rubbed off within seconds, just residue from something.

A few months go by and my friend's iphone is not working again. Didn't fancy another day out of our lives travelling to Cardiff plus the cost.

So I goggled and found numerous Youtube videos about how to fix this common problem. Basically, went to Homebase and bought a suction cup - otherwise known as a plastic suction cup stick on clothes hook - for about £3, and followed the advice in the videos.

Basically, you unscrew the bottom screws, place the suction cup on one end of the iphone screen and gently but firmly pull the screen out of the case. It is vitally important that you place the suction cup in the exact spot required so that you pull the right end out.

Then all it is is a simple connector between the button and the mobo that comes disconnected. From what I could see there is a slight ridge inside the iphone between 2 mobos and the cable for the connector is just not long enough.

It is either this connector that comes off or it is a couple of pin connectors behind the button that need to - GENTLY - be prised up so they act as contacts again.

There are loads of videos on Youtbe showing how to do this and kits you can buy off ebay to fix the problem. As I said, you can buy the suction cup required in Homebase but go looking for a plastic hook - i.e. watch the youtube videos and you will then know what to look for.

Be careful. Do this at your own risk.

Isn't there some EU law making it 2 YEARS that firms have to take stuff back?

Thank you - useful/reassuring stuff.

The iPhone appears to be working as designed. Typical! faulty for 3 days and woking just as i'm about to leave for my appt.

With this in mind i'll be happy to take 3 months apple care on my existing iPhone just to be sure otherwise I won't leave until I get a replacement.

:D

Thank you - useful/reassuring stuff.

The iPhone appears to be working as designed. Typical! faulty for 3 days and woking just as i'm about to leave for my appt.

With this in mind i'll be happy to take 3 months apple care on my existing iPhone just to be sure otherwise I won't leave until I get a replacement.

:D

Bottom post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35819249