House Price Crash Forum

"we Must Inflate House Prices...."

BLOW FLY

HOLA441

Anyone else see this or was I dreaming?

ITV News at Ten last night had a short interview with David Blanchflower re inflation.

I wasn't really paying too much attention but just as I looked up he said something along the lines of "we must inflate house prices / allow house prices to inflate to help get us out of this....." :angry:

I just couldn't believe my ears so I wondered if I dreamed it :lol:

BF

Edited by BLOW FLY

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Anyone else see this or was I dreaming?

ITV News at Ten last night had a short interview with David Blanchflower re inflation.

I wasn't really paying too much attention but just as I looked up he said something along the lines of "we must inflate house prices / allow house prices to inflate to help get us out of this....." :angry:

I just couldn't believe my ears so I wondered if I dreamed it :lol:

BF

No, you weren't dreaming, I saw it too. DISGUSTING.

HOLA448

David Blanchflower is the archetype of singular system thinking. All he can see is how the bubble "worked" and everything he advises is designed to try and restore it.

People cannot afford homes at today's prices, yet he wants them to go higher.

It's the high housing costs that's makes us uncompetitive, and causes any/all productive jobs to be lost overseas.

ITS OVER BLANCHFLOWER! Your "low interest rate", "debt is good", "inflation is helping" mentality has destroyed our economy, and you are not intelligent or honest enough to accept you got it wrong.

Edited by worst time buyer

HOLA449

Danny is right. Our national survival is all based on the direction house prices. Banksters bonuses rely on them (bigger factor than many realise). The City feeds on them. National sentiment requires HPI. IR policy is dictated by them. Immigration policy is based on it. They are doing all they can to keep HPI moving--they have no choice.

Will they succeed?

I bougfht because rents around here are extreme and I have been 8 years on the road and tired of waiting. My house is about 20-25% off from the top and I bought knowing it could droop another 20% but when you are tired of waiting......

That said, it is fabulous to be settled and live in your own place again.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

No, you weren't dreaming, I saw it too. DISGUSTING.

Mr Blanchflower has exposed himself as a man with absolutely NO insight as to the root of our current probelems. It is as a result of unrealistic asset price inflation and borrowing against these phoney values, that we find ourselves all bankrupt.

It the is the reverse medicine that will put a stop to it and later result in real growth and real wealth craetion, not just paper wealth in another European and US house of cards.

The economic situation is now deteriorating quite rapidly. Cameron managed to say that you cannot resolve debt with yet more debt on yesteday's news. A bit nearer the mark, although the enormity of debt deflation coming coupled with food inflation is terrifying. The time for a little deficit financing to boost demand is way past and we should blame govts of all hues who have allowed this to happen over the last 20 years or so. A pathetic policy failure. China should also have long ago recognised that the rate of US and other countries borrowing were untenable and told them to sort it out, letting them know they would not continue to buy that amount of debt. They should also have not caused such an imbalance in world trade by pegging their currency to the US dollar. It would long ago have appreciated gently avoiding such an extraordinary shift of manufacturing to their shores.

HOLA4416

These vested interests know that they are untouchable, and can rob and rape the rest of us, with impunity.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Mr Blanchflower has exposed himself as a man with absolutely NO insight as to the root of our current probelems. It is as a result of unrealistic asset price inflation and borrowing against these phoney values, that we find ourselves all bankrupt.

It the is the reverse medicine that will put a stop to it and later result in real growth and real wealth craetion, not just paper wealth in another European and US house of cards.

The economic situation is now deteriorating quite rapidly. Cameron managed to say that you cannot resolve debt with yet more debt on yesteday's news. A bit nearer the mark, although the enormity of debt deflation coming coupled with food inflation is terrifying. The time for a little deficit financing to boost demand is way past and we should blame govts of all hues who have allowed this to happen over the last 20 years or so. A pathetic policy failure. China should also have long ago recognised that the rate of US and other countries borrowing were untenable and told them to sort it out, letting them know they would not continue to buy that amount of debt. They should also have not caused such an imbalance in world trade by pegging their currency to the US dollar. It would long ago have appreciated gently avoiding such an extraordinary shift of manufacturing to their shores.

+1

Forgot that Cameron came on and said that.

You had Blanchflower saying we must inflate house prices and then 2 minutes later on the same programme you have the PM saying you can't resolve debt with more debt..... WTF?

What's it to be boys?

BF

HOLA4420

+1

You had Blanchflower saying we must inflate house prices and then 2 minutes later on the same programme you have the PM saying you can't resolve debt with more debt..... WTF?

What's it to be boys?

BF

To be honest blanchflower is a Labour boy anyway. He isnt on the MPC any more and its best just to ignore him even more now he isnt in a position of any real power these days.

HOLA4421

It won't work. It may save the banks, but it will plunder the savings from those trying to buy houses (or anything else) and will push them further out of reach. Ofc, if the banks fail, then some pension funds will fail too. Maybe some savings above the deposit guarantee will be lost too.

Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Much like the Euro crisis, there is no easy way out. Some people are going to lose out one way or another and I certainly don't think the bankers and the rich folk should be first in line for being saved.

HOLA4422

+1

What's it to be boys?

BF

Easy, just QE to give house buyers half the price of a house.

You'd get both Blanchflower his HPI and Cameron's 'no more debt'.

I'm sure they're thinking along the same lines now.

HOLA4423

Danny is right. Our national survival is all based on the direction house prices. Banksters bonuses rely on them (bigger factor than many realise). The City feeds on them. National sentiment requires HPI. IR policy is dictated by them. Immigration policy is based on it. They are doing all they can to keep HPI moving--they have no choice.

Will they succeed?

I bougfht because rents around here are extreme and I have been 8 years on the road and tired of waiting. My house is about 20-25% off from the top and I bought knowing it could droop another 20% but when you are tired of waiting......

That said, it is fabulous to be settled and live in your own place again.

Fabulous, dahling!

HOLA4424

Easy, just QE to give house buyers half the price of a house.

You'd get both Blanchflower his HPI and Cameron's 'no more debt'.

I'm sure they're thinking along the same lines now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the return of MIRAS or something like it, in the not-too-distant future. They need to do everything that they can to stimulate more borrowing (to kick the can down the line).

HOLA4425

It won't work. It may save the banks, but it will plunder the savings from those trying to buy houses (or anything else) and will push them further out of reach. Ofc, if the banks fail, then some pension funds will fail too. Maybe some savings above the deposit guarantee will be lost too.

Unfortunately, the damage has been done. Much like the Euro crisis, there is no easy way out. Some people are going to lose out one way or another and I certainly don't think the bankers and the rich folk should be first in line for being saved.

Yep - the whole point of generating inflation is not necessarily to increase our level of indebtedness, it's merely to prevent the entire financial and banking system of the UK from imploding. If it wasn't for the intervention of Blanchflower and the rest of the MPC, the UK would have went down the Irish/Spanish route of the banking system going bang.