House Price Crash Forum
Venger

They Said It Would Be Worth £1.3 Million

Boomer ex-shopfitter turned easy money chasing developer can't sell his development house with heated driveway for what he thought it would be worth.

Hitting out at the estate agents for giving him unrealistic expectations on what it could sell for before he began the build, and for not marketing it right.

And they 'can't sell' their main home of 14 years either. They now have two houses which won't sell for what they want for them. :lol:

It seemed such a good idea: buy the old bungalow opposite off probate, build as grand a house as the plot - and the market - could stand, and then sell up for £1.1 million to £1.3 million, which three local estate agents said a big house would be worth.

Yet, three years later, whenever Colin Baylis opens his bedroom curtains, he is staring across the road at a self-inflicted disaster.

http://www.dailymail...e-auction-.html

Looking at a £200K loss if sells at £850K guide price at auction? Not sure I believe his estimate of loss if selling at that desired price. The market will pay what the market will pay. It's Lot 7 in the auction brochure off this link. Got my eyes on distressed properties by developers in situations like his. One of whom built two houses on a plot and has just cut the asking price for one of them by 50% of what they wanted in 2009. Needs a cash buyer as no internal fittings. Run out of money? Still much too expensive because it's now possible to buy nearly comparable house nearby which require no major works nor lots of extra money spent to complete. Houses which were not rushed up in 2009 by a builder short on money and worried about falling market when putting house on Rightmove at shell stage in 2009. Banks have to begin pulling the plug eventually.

LOL first comment on DM site is from our old friend Sibley, engaging in ad-hominem against us!

If you think it's worth a million Sibbers, why don't you buy it and flip it?

LOL first comment on DM site is from our old friend Sibley, engaging in ad-hominem against us!

If you think it's worth a million Sibbers, why don't you buy it and flip it?

Poor old Sibbers seems to have become almost rabid judging by the comment :lol:

Poor old Sibbers seems to have become almost rabid judging by the comment :lol:

Second Sibley comment seems to be a spoof. Is someone impersonating him?

That is one UGLY house. I can see why the driveway needs to be heated - must be a 45 degree slope down to the garage.

There might be a good point in there...

I reckon there is a genuine 25-30 degree angle at the top of the ramp, and perhaps at the bottom also.

Now that would be OK for your Range Rover or X5 driver, but I am pretty certain sports cars would be a no go due to grounding.

Perhaps even normal cars would struggle.

Is that a c0ck-üp ?

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit to add... I think he has c0cked-üp :D:D:D

http://www.parkingconsultantsltd.com/rampfaqs.htm

Quote: Many modern cars have wheel bases that are ….. long and under-body clearances of less than… The effect of these specifications is that in any situation where a ramp of gradient steeper than 1:10 intersects with a flat slab that cars will bottom out on the transition line at the top of the ramp. Figure 1.

Edited by ScrewsNutsandBolts

"beautiful, solid oak staircase, made in Poland for a bargain £22,000."

Because english carpenters can't afford to work any more as they're undercut by polish?

There might be a good point in there...

I reckon there is a genuine 25-30 degree angle at the top of the ramp, and perhaps at the bottom also.

Now that would be OK for your Range Rover or X5 driver, but I am pretty certain sports cars would be a no go due to grounding.

Perhaps even normal cars would struggle.

Is that a c0ck-üp ?

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit to add... I think he has c0cked-üp :D:D:D

http://www.parkingconsultantsltd.com/rampfaqs.htm

Quote: Many modern cars have wheel bases that are ….. long and under-body clearances of less than… The effect of these specifications is that in any situation where a ramp of gradient steeper than 1:10 intersects with a flat slab that cars will bottom out on the transition line at the top of the ramp. Figure 1.

Surely a Range Rover (and others like it) would be too high up to get through the door at the bottom.

So the only vehicles that could avoid being grounded at the top of the ramp down to the garage entrance would be too high to get through the door at the bottom.

FUBAR!

Own up, who wrote this spot-on gem:

He is NOT a developer. He is just some hubristic greedy idiot who thought he could make money for nothing, by building a completely inappropriate house on a plot that simply wouldn't take it, and probably making the neighbours' lives a misery at the same time. And now he's one here, bleating and hoping some even greater fool will bail him out

Own up, who wrote this spot-on gem:

He is NOT a developer. He is just some hubristic greedy idiot who thought he could make money for nothing, by building a completely inappropriate house on a plot that simply wouldn't take it, and probably making the neighbours' lives a misery at the same time. And now he's one here, bleating and hoping some even greater fool will bail him out

A perfectly fair comment and right on the button. I don't wish the man any ill but can't really find it in myself to feel any empathy for him

'Still, for the life of me, I cannot understand what is wrong with this house and why it won't sell,' he says.

the price possibly?

Yes, the price does not reflect the demand there is to live there...... ;)

"beautiful, solid oak staircase, made in Poland for a bargain £22,000."

Because english carpenters can't afford to work any more as they're undercut by polish?

What's left of his 30 strong workforce are sure to be Polish too.

I know a stair man... he crafted an oak staircase for a house in my parents village last year. He told me that it cost them £30,000 - not mega loaded himself!

sweet jesus

that truly is a monstrosity

how on earth did that get planning consent?

Planners are an absolute joke.

A builder in my village got outline planning permission for a two bed dormer bungalow nearly three years ago. It went to committee and approval was borderline at this stage. The full application is now a four bedroom bungalow over three floors with a basement games rooms, it's at the reserved matters stage although it has been cut back down to a two bedroom it'll revert to the 4 bedrooms once they get their completion certificate. It's on-line with Lichfield third from top of the list - very easy to sniff out if your that way inclined. It won't be in character with the rest of the street. Final report is in favour so approval pretty much given.