House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the primitive

So Greece Is Going To Default

As per topic title!

Lots of interesting stuff on here about Greece, but dragging us back on topic...

What will it do to house prices, and how soon?

Perhaps it tests our government.

Under the previous lot, there would be a big round of QE to push up prices. Under this lot, let's wait and see. My inner optimist says they at least won't print as much as Balls would.

My understanding is that the amount of money at stake in a Greek sovereign bankruptcy is so small that in itself, the event won't have much effect. What might is (i) how the breakup of the eurozone is managed thereafter and (ii) the extent to which lenders believe that Greece is just the first of many.

My understanding is that the amount of money at stake in a Greek sovereign bankruptcy is so small that in itself, the event won't have much effect. What might is (i) how the breakup of the eurozone is managed thereafter and (ii) the extent to which lenders believe that Greece is just the first of many.

That's the way I read it.

There is no mechanism AFAIK for a country leaving the euro. Therefore there is a huge barrier to the first country to do it. But once it is done it is relatively easy for others to follow suit.

I thought they were big on tourism so exit would work. Though I imagine the eu would slap loads of trade and capital restrictions on them.

The thing they are all trying to avoid is showing the world that leaving the euro is possible.

Because feck all of the actual people of europe want to be in it. The bloody thing only works while creditor and debtor are bound hand and foot to each other.

Useless bastards, the lot of them. Let Greece go bankrupt, along with Ireland, France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, UK and America.

It's a shitty broken system this fake capitalism and should be put down imo. Rubbish!!

I thought that the debts were imaginary? ;)

They are - hence "bound."

Debts are strictly enforced at all times because the idea that they can be simply dropped is anathema to the system.

So is just saying it's PC numbers and laughing about it. They have to play it straight and they have to pretend it's eternal and there are no other options or it's over.

They are - hence "bound."

Debts are strictly enforced at all times because the idea that they can be simply dropped is anathema to the system.

So is just saying it's PC numbers and laughing about it. They have to play it straight and they have to pretend it's eternal and there are no other options or it's over.

It is over. Let's see how well the system endure's 30 million defaults. Sad!!

The Telegraph must think it will be tonight......

They are running a live ticker page on the subject.........

They're getting like the 284-point rhetorical banner headlines the Indie used to do - eyecatching at first, but boy-who-cries-wolf syndrome soon sets in.

Greece has been on the verge of defaulting for more than 2 years. What's happened that makes people think it will be imminent?

The soon to be triple digit interest rates they are being asked to pay to borrow so much as a ham sandwich?

The soon to be triple digit interest rates they are being asked to pay to borrow so much as a ham sandwich?

I thought Greeks didn't eat ham, or was that the Turks?

The Germans will still carry on funding their little euro binge. Paying the Greeks is a price worth paying to keep their Euro plan for domination on track

I thought Greeks didn't eat ham, or was that the Turks?

The Germans will still carry on funding their little euro binge. Paying the Greeks is a price worth paying to keep their Euro plan for domination on track

Not so much Euro domination, more a need for 40% of it's export Market to still be there to buy stuff.

Don't worry other surplus nations will chip in. Can't have Germany stop buying their stuff.

The solution to all the worlds problems, more stuff…

If Greece defaults.. the sun will still shine, the Mediteranian will still be amazing, the Greek Islands great. Greek sheperds will tend to their flock, Greek grape growers will make their wine. Greek houses will still be standing.. Greek shipping will be more competitive.

But a bunch of rich guys in countries like France who hold the debt will lose out. Those same rich guys happen to have a lot of political power. So they want to be bailed out for their bad bets.