House Price Crash Forum

Ca Postcode - Offers Hugely Under Asking Being Accepted

andybee33

HOLA441

Hey folks,

2 very cheerful anecdotes this week - both in CA postcode - one CA8 other CA4 (both East of Carlisle).

1 - Our former next door neighbours. Were renting like us. Decided to buy and found a nice 4 bed place in CA8 that has been reduced from £425k to £395k. Offered £300k. Accepted. They have just moved in.

2 - A friend of my wife - renting with family in CA4 while vendors had house on market for £310k. Got chucked out as it was sold. Owner told him he'd accepted an offer of £200k. Ironic thing is that he'd have bought it himself for that....

So - offer low!

Game is almost over up here I think. Feeling quite relieved.

A :-)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Hey folks,

2 very cheerful anecdotes this week - both in CA postcode - one CA8 other CA4 (both East of Carlisle).

1 - Our former next door neighbours. Were renting like us. Decided to buy and found a nice 4 bed place in CA8 that has been reduced from £425k to £395k. Offered £300k. Accepted. They have just moved in.

2 - A friend of my wife - renting with family in CA4 while vendors had house on market for £310k. Got chucked out as it was sold. Owner told him he'd accepted an offer of £200k. Ironic thing is that he'd have bought it himself for that....

So - offer low!

Game is almost over up here I think. Feeling quite relieved.

A :-)

Now it just needs to spread to the south please. Plenty of reductions or 'new price' listings round sussex but few as dramatic as that yet.

HOLA445

Now it just needs to spread to the south please. Plenty of reductions or 'new price' listings round sussex but few as dramatic as that yet.

The thing that interested me the most about these two sales was that the asking price was still in delusion-land but the accepted offer was so different. As such, I guess it's just a case of putting in offers that you think are right, regardless of the asking price.

For example, in my first anecdote, the asking price cut (425 - 395) is pretty run-of-the-mill fare up here. To know that the accepted offer was nearly 25% lower still is just golden.

I'm thinking, as a rule of thumb to offer between 65 and 75% of the asking price on any place I find that I like and walking away if the vendor doesn't go for it. Someone will need to sell!!!

Maybe we should make it a site rule - no offers over 75% of asking price or you aren't a proper HPC-er!!! :)

Edited by andybee33

HOLA446

The thing that interested me the most about these two sales was that the asking price was still in delusion-land but the accepted offer was so different. As such, I guess it's just a case of putting in offers that you think are right, regardless of the asking price.

For example, in my first anecdote, the asking price cut (425 - 395) is pretty run-of-the-mill fare up here. To know that the accepted offer was nearly 25% lower still is just golden.

I'm thinking, as a rule of thumb to offer between 65 and 75% of the asking price on any place I find that I like and walking away if the vendor doesn't go for it. Someone will need to sell!!!

Maybe we should make it a site rule - no offers over 75% of asking price or you aren't a proper HPC-er!!! :)

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Going to see a flat in london tonight. Asking 320k.

Most expensive one sold in 2008 for 310, since then 1 at 280 most at 230-250.

Last bought in 2007! at 235k.... Most flats in the block bought and sold since 2006 seem to have lost 20k or so. My reckoning says that it should be around 220k. Will look to offer that + reasonable uplit for any works done...

HOLA4410

who earns enough money in Carlisle to afford a 300k house anyway?

Lol! That's a good point. Plenty of 'paper millionaire' farmers but most of the locals seem to think that £17k is megabucks. Bless em.

I'm off to see a place priced at £350k tomorrow. It last sold (in 2007) for 325k and is unimproved. IF I do make an offer I will stick with the spirit of the thread and offer £265k! :lol:

HOLA4411

Lol! That's a good point. Plenty of 'paper millionaire' farmers but most of the locals seem to think that £17k is megabucks. Bless em.

I'm off to see a place priced at £350k tomorrow. It last sold (in 2007) for 325k and is unimproved. IF I do make an offer I will stick with the spirit of the thread and offer £265k! :lol:

don't be silly - stamp duty threshold is at 250k....

so offer 190k!!!! :lol::lol:

HOLA4412

it re-begs the question, completely non-rhetorically this time - who has 300k in Carlisle? Preston and Manchester, yes, I can see the wealth. but Carlisle?

HOLA4413

it re-begs the question, completely non-rhetorically this time - who has 300k in Carlisle? Preston and Manchester, yes, I can see the wealth. but Carlisle?

I worked at the Rural Payments Agency in Carlisle for 6 months a few years back (2003). There were quite a few middle and senior managers who'd presumably be on good wages. The public sector there is significant.

Although most of the 300kers will be folk with lots of equity who bought pre 2003 when prices were peanuts, or maybe wealthy retirees from down south?

HOLA4414

Fair question. As it goes, I would fit that profile - I have a small software company that I make a decent living from. However - and it's a big however - none of my clients are local. I just live there/here as I like it. If I had to work here, I could never make even half of what I do and, as such, wouldn't be in the market for that sort of pad.

Edited by andybee33

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4415