House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Jim "james" Rogers: I Am Long On Us Dollars

http://jimrogers-investments.blogspot.com/

September 13, 2011I Own Probably More U.S. Dollars Then I’ve Owned In Years
The only reason I’m long, is because everybody in the world, including me, has been terribly pessimistic. And whenever that happens you should take the other side of the trade. So I’m long the U.S. dollar, I have no confidence in it, its going to be a disaster, but as we speak I own probably more U.S. dollars then I’ve owned in years, and certainly more than any other currency. - in Deal Breaker

He has had to eat a lot of humble pie to admit this. But is he right this time?

The only reason I’m long, is because everybody in the world, including me, has been terribly pessimistic. And whenever that happens you should take the other side of the trade. So I’m long the U.S. dollar, I have no confidence in it, its going to be a disaster, but as we speak I own probably more U.S. dollars then I’ve owned in years, and certainly more than any other currency. - in Deal Breaker

I think so, the dollar is going to be a disaster.

I think so, the dollar is going to be a disaster.

This is why he is long on the $ no doubt? Buy what will be sure to lose him money?

No--he is long because he knows it makes sense. But his foolish pride (can you hear the riff?) won't allow him to admit it cleanly. Would Jimbo really say "I have bet on the $ but I think I am going to lose it all because its a disaster?" .....don't think so.

Edited by Realistbear

The dollar is going to be a disaster?? If it is going to be a disaster, why is he so invested in the USD? The euro IS a disaster, and the Swiss Franc, well, that is kinda funny how they pegged it to the Euro. That is the same as hitching your boat to the Titanic to keep your boat from sinking.

I don't trust one single word he utters, and he pretty much nailed the GBP low with his infamous "get out of the Pound, it's over" shout two and a half years ago.

Having said that, DXY just broke strong resistance at 76, and Morgan Stanley just stated that the EUR's attraction as an alternative reserve currency is likely to be reduced.

IMO, we need a binary event like Greece defaulting to happen for the greenback to target the 85-90 area again.

Edited by Deckard

'I walked round the Titanic as she sank, asking other passengers what they thought of their chances of survival in below freezing seawater. I found them all very pessimistic so decided to take the other side of the trade, selling my seat on a lifeboat and swimming for it with a pocket full of Dollars.'

This is why he is long on the $ no doubt? Buy what will be sure to lose him money?

No--he is long because he knows it makes sense. But his foolish pride (can you hear the riff?) won't allow him to admit it cleanly. Would Jimbo really say "I have bet on the $ but I think I am going to lose it all because its a disaster?" .....don't think so.

While you are mind reading, can you tell me what I realyl think deep down about the above drivel?

Of all the car crashes around, the dollar looks least bad to me.

That is why, IMO, Jimbo is long on the $. When all else is sinking the $ will still be there because the US can dig itself out of a hole faster than most.

IN a world of relativity the value of any given currency be based on the issuers ability to kickstart growth again and maintain a large GDP. IF the US stops producing and their GDP drops to nothing their currency will reflect that.

In the meantime, James knows the $ is going to make the best of a bad situation (I just hear another riff).

Guest spp

That is why, IMO, Jimbo is long on the $. When all else is sinking the $ will still be there because the US can dig itself out of a hole faster than most.

IN a world of relativity the value of any given currency be based on the issuers ability to kickstart growth again and maintain a large GDP. IF the US stops producing and their GDP drops to nothing their currency will reflect that.

In the meantime, James knows the $ is going to make the best of a bad situation (I just hear another riff).

How come you forgot to mention his large Gold, Silver and Agriculture positions!?

Long term he knows where the $ is heading. ;)

Now...how much has the $ lost its value since you joined HPC?

Edited by spp

If Mexico was about three times or more bigger than the US and Speedy and Yanky were in a currency union, the dollar would be in about as much mess as the euro.

Agreed!! But there is no North American union (thank God!!), and the Europeans were foolish to form the union that they did.

I don't trust one single word he utters, and he pretty much nailed the GBP low with his infamous "get out of the Pound, it's over" shout two and a half years ago.

Having said that, DXY just broke strong resistance at 76, and Morgan Stanley just stated that the EUR's attraction as an alternative reserve currency is likely to be reduced.

IMO, we need a binary event like Greece defaulting to happen for the greenback to target the 85-90 area again.

$ has bottomed out for now. Your event is on its way.

When $ soars JR will sell it short again. Rightly.

Edited by Killer Bunny

"I have no confidence in it [the dollar], its going to be a disaster"

This is your ringing endorsement? :blink:

because the US can dig itself out of a hole faster than most

It can also dig itself into a hole faster than most, and right now, that's exactly what it is doing.

The US is not only the most indebted nation in the world, it is the most indebted nation in history.

Jim Rogers Says Dollar Is Long-Term ‘Total Disaster’ [May 2011]

Jim Rogers: Dollar Is Doomed, Own Real Assets [June 2011]

Jim Rogers: Dollar Turns Into "Confetti", Silver Will Reach Triple Digits [september 2011]

And this is him eating "humble pie" is it?

Yeah - king of the pygmies. But it's not great for trading one's account!

I pass no comment on things I can't understand eg. gold.

There is a bit more to the US than some guy called "Jim" and his pie.

And the US can deal with its debt by printing and devaluing.

Whether it does so in a functional or otherwise manner , it stays in the game.

No one has the cohesive critical mass of the US.

He can't possibly know because he doesn't know what the FED will do. We can judge him when he gets out of his long position.

Of course he won't tell us when he actually does that.

I bet his investments got crushed the last couple of months.

The man's damaged goods IMO.

+ 1

only until that debt is gone. then after that it's a level playing field and a long decline for uncle sam. In fact they don't even need to get rid of all the debt - a super flat yield curve marks the end of this era and the end of their disproportionate influence.

but, at least they will have done their bit.

The idea of printing more money and buying worthless bonds instead of forcing people to go bankrupt is ludicrous. That's how you destroy an economy

Jim Rogers

I don't see that.

It seems pretty clear the US has seen off the Russians, Japan and Europe.

India's competitive advantage, poverty, is not a foundation built on rock.

China .... ?

Whatever.

When their factory workers are getting more than 80 cents (US) the day perhaps we'll be able to make some assessment.

A focus on "yield curves" does not, with the greatest of respect, give us good answers.

There are demographic, historic, philosophical, geographical and collective wisdom dynamics at play too.

'I walked round the Titanic as she sank, asking other passengers what they thought of their chances of survival in below freezing seawater. I found them all very pessimistic so decided to take the other side of the trade, selling my seat on a lifeboat and swimming for it with a pocket full of Dollars.'

If I had been there, I would have done just that, and made it New York before the Carpathia.

YOU (DELIBERATELY) FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HE ONLY IS HOLDING $ AS A SHORT-RUN PLAY

He is extremely pessimistic about the $ in the long-run, and yes, he's 100% correct about that, guaranteed.

Some of you folks need to read a book on financial trading, or something. Just because Jim Rogers says he is long the Dollar, it doesn't mean that is a long-term position. He clearly states that he thinks the Dollar is merely oversold at this particular juncture and that he expects a relief rally. Any trader who has been around as long as Rogers will probably might only have 0.05% of his wealth riding on a trade like this.

Yes, he is. I am long US dollars. Never owned so many in my life. The next fallout session, when the banks freeze over, the markets crash, the baltic dry shows no shipping freight in the world, will be the time a flight to dollar happens pushing it up big time. It's not long away. The figures for everything are replicating the run up to the 2008 drama. Oil will again fall alomg with copper and inflation to follow. Real asset deflation is awaiting and no govt will have the firepower to stop it this time. Too big to save all the PIIGS at once. The Euro collapse will inflate the US dollar, whether it be total or partial by some withdrawing.

Greece has already defaulted along with Ire/Portugal AND Italy will be next. Spain to follow. Well roughly.....