House Price Crash Forum
ska_mna

My Personal Grocery Inflation Is ~12.5% Per Year

What with the inflation figures out today, I thought I'd take a quick look at how my personal grocery costs have risen since I started keeping a record. I know, I'm really sad, although all I've done since 2005/6 is drop an OFX file downloaded from my bank into a program and it pretty much does it for me. I've not got the paper receipts pinned to my wall or anything!

No this isn't 100% accurate. But given that I've not really increased my consumption or started eating caviar, plus I always pay on card so there's a transaction record, it's kinda scary how much it's gone up in 5 years or so.

I only started doing it half way through 2005, which is why that figure is so low. And of course we're not even at the end of 2011 yet, so that figure is going to be higher.

Anyway, I calculate it as an increase of about 12.5% a year, if one takes it from about 2006. Official CPI figures for that period have been between about 2% and 5% I think? Inflation adjusted from 2006, I make it that my groceries should be about £1,220 according to official figures. Not the £2k or so that they are in reality.

Please feel free to pull me up on errors. Analysis welcome.

Anyone else got charts like this for their own circumstances?

iJr0FOm5YVNt2.gif

EDIT: edited to correct 2010 figure

Edited by ska_mna

I more or less concur. The fixed, as in artificially massaged, inflation rate claims to make allowances for negative inflationary stuff like hi fi, computer hardware, and all the other goods that apparently have deflated, but I don't buy a TV or computer every day. I buy food every day and essential other items every week.

No-one believes the official inflation figures. They are a sham.

Personally I have savaged my outgoings in the last 18 months, so my 'basket' has changed beyond recognition. I have found cheaper or free alternatives to loads of stuff I used to spend on*

So basically the 'essential' stuff that can't be avoided has gone up by around 10% if I had to guestimate without going through the paperbin.

Holidays now in the UK

Bike rather than bus

Ale rather than lager

Bargain hunting for food, swapping to more tins/frozen

Barter more on rent/fees/services when I never used to :blink:

Discovered music is free on the internet

Discovered free online gaming

I now save 600 quid a month compared to about 100 :blink:

Edited by Terribad

No this isn't 100% accurate.

Had a couple of kids? Mother-in-law come to stay? More booze and fags?

My personal inflation took a hit today. Wetherspoon's Tuesday Steak Club up 10%. Mixed grill and a pint £6.59 from £5.99 last week.

My personal inflation took a hit today. Wetherspoon's Tuesday Steak Club up 10%. Mixed grill and a pint £6.59 from £5.99 last week.

Refuse to buy it ....so your inflation levels up again.....are you poorer for it? do you feel outdone by?

Out of everything what was thought to be bad....comes something good, sometimes good only comes to those that are forced to find it. ;)

your chart appears to be confirming deflation for the last 3 years.

Haha, yes not sure what's going on there! If you just take a straight line between 2006 and 2011, I think that's perhaps more illustrative. As I say, this is pretty unscientific analysis! It's pretty clear that 2011 is going to be much higher than both 2010 and 2009. Unless I starve myself for the rest of the year.

Oh, just remembered - 2010 we bought veg from a vegbox delivery service, the payment for which came out of a different bank account. If I factored that in, the 2010 figure would be about £440 higher. That figures.

Yeah, your food might be 12.5% dearer but at least petrol isn't shooting up, not your bills and you can always make ends meet with the interest from your savings :rolleyes:

:D

Nope, pretty much been eating the same kind of food and in the same quantities over the years.

Did go from a 4 person shared house to a 2 person shared house in 2007, so there might have been some savings in sharing food bills prior to the 2-person share.

Well done to posters who have kept their grocery costs down, although if you've changed the type of things you're buying in order to stay standing still outgoing wise, that's cheating! :P

Nope, pretty much been eating the same kind of food and in the same quantities over the years.

Did go from a 4 person shared house to a 2 person shared house in 2007, so there might have been some savings in sharing food bills prior to the 2-person share.

Well done to posters who have kept their grocery costs down, although if you've changed the type of things you're buying in order to stay standing still outgoing wise, that's cheating! :P

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping?

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping?

Local supermarket is Morrisons so I'd say 60% of shopping done there due to location. The other 40% split between the other three of the big four using online delivery, depending on who's got offers on expensive stuff like cat food (!)

Edited by ska_mna

Local supermarket is Morrisons so I'd say 60% of shopping done there due to location. The other 40% split between the other three of the big four using online delivery, depending on who's got offers on expensive stuff like cat food (!)

Oh my god.... didn't you know that when the Morrison's CEO left to join Marks & Spencer with a £15m golden hello, they put their executive salaries up by fortunes? Someone has to pay for that.

You need to try Lidl or Aldi.

I've really noticed wine going up alot (I simply buy less these days) and generally there are many things I used to buy that I've dropped from the shop because it's gone up (Peanut butter, for instance).

You can fight food inflation by not buying stuff - the surprising thing is that you don't actually miss some stuff at all.

Petrol and heating oil (we have no gas main) are the main killers over the last few years, but in reality we've just cut stuff out that we used to spend before (like takeaways, overpriced coffees in town,etc).

Buckers

wine_demijohns.jpg

For the price of a packet of sugar and yeast........why not make your own with free elderberries, blackberries, pears or plumbs etc......cider can be made from apple juice. :unsure:

I've really noticed wine going up alot (I simply buy less these days) and generally there are many things I used to buy that I've dropped from the shop because it's gone up (Peanut butter, for instance).

You can fight food inflation by not buying stuff - the surprising thing is that you don't actually miss some stuff at all.

Petrol and heating oil (we have no gas main) are the main killers over the last few years, but in reality we've just cut stuff out that we used to spend before (like takeaways, overpriced coffees in town,etc).

Buckers

Australian wine seems to be shooting up but that's no surprise given the sterling devaluation.

Keep your eye out for the offers. Hardy's Classic Collection red 3 for £10 at Asda last month. Both Sainsburys and Tesco recently had 25% off for 6 bottles or more. I reckon we bought enough in a week to last until the new year :lol:

Buckers

Yes, such is the overconsumption (look at the figures for amount of food thrown away) and general lack of care for value for money that plenty of people should be able to readjust their spending to ameliorate the effects of food price inflation ... until a point somewhere down the line when we've eliminated the overconsumption.

However, many of the worse off are going go start seeing real hardship as a result of rising food prices a lot more quickly. Or even just people who shopped sensibly and didn't waste money who suddenly see their food budget rise.

I’m not sure about 12% but it’s not far off, probably more like 8% for me.

I used to spend approximately £30 a week at the supermarket in the mid 2000s, I buy much the same stuff today and it will come in at around £50.

Less for more....when will the £50 stuff cost £70?.......when will the same stuff today be different stuff, simply because the same stuff will be too expensive to buy. ;)

Man, I still don't see it in my own spend.

I noticed some prices shooting up in the supermarkets the last month, but not in stuff that I buy. My staple is brown basmati - probably cheaper than a couple of years ago. And so much of the spend is trivial that I really can't be arsed noticing a few pennies here or there. If I had to feed other mouths, I'm sure I'd get it.

But I'm also sure this is a desperate fling by the supermarkets. They're stuffed, we're all stuffed, because there's a long recession coming in which demand will be destroyed at both ends.

My shopping bill has come down a little bit in the last few years, but mainly because I have completely changed my habits. Before, I would just buy everything in Tesco, and be damned with it. Nowadays though, I find myself stopping off to lots of different locations to pick up the best deals. For example, I know a chap who looks after chickens and for £8-9 a week, he'll sell me a dozen free-range eggs eggs and an organic chicken the size of a turkey that'll provide a family of 4 dinner for two nights and leave a little meat leftover for sandwiches. The local veggie shop will sell potatoes, apples, radishes, beans, carrots, cauliflower, berries, etc - basically whatever is in season and available, topped up by a few things from the supermarket like onions, mushies and bananas, oranges. A weeks supply for two is easily gotten for under £15. Ethnic food shops are great for bulks buying spices, rice, noodles, soy sauce, etc. You get 4 times as much quantity despite paying the same price as you would in a supermarket for their mini packs/tins/jars of stuff. Supermarkets are still good at times though. A few months back, I picked up a couple dozen tins of mackerel fillets in brine for 45p, Branston beans for 25p, etc. It always amazes me how people don't take advantage of offers like this, especially when it concerns foods with a long self-life.

Personally, the recession has been great for me. When times were good, I used to find myself spending money on sh!t all the time. Now, not only have I discovered I can get very good quality food for almost the same price as it would cost to get processed sh!t, I feel much, much healthier these days and find I have more energy.

wine_demijohns.jpg

For the price of a packet of sugar and yeast........why not make your own with free elderberries, blackberries, pears or plumbs etc......cider can be made from apple juice. :unsure:

I totally agree with your analysis that inflation is what you make it. My partner keeps a note of what we spend each week at the supermarket and it has declined over the last two years by about 20% over the previous three years, even as food inflation has taken off. and making every meal from scratch has a lot to do with it and curtting out convenience food.

We tend to be more proactive in the reductions counter these days and there is still ridiculously cheap stuff out there. I tried out a tuppence disposable razor from Sainsburys this morning using soap and it was a bloody good shave. (they come in at 13p for a bag of five)

And to think thirty years ago I used Gillette gel and their disposables at about five pounds a pop. I make that deflation of 98%.

As Merv tries to print us out of trouble, he will find it counter-productive because I aint budging on my budget, my inflation will stay at 0%.

Edited by crashmonitor

Guest eight

We tend to be more proactive in the reductions counter these days and there are still ridiculously cheap stuff out there. I tried out a tuppence disposable razor from Sainsburys this morning using soap and it was a bloody good shave. (they come in at 13p for a bag of five)

And to think thirty years ago I used Gillette gel and their disposables at about five pounds a pop. I make that deflation of 98%.

As Merv tries to print us out of trouble, he will find it counter-productive because I aint budging on my budget, my inflation will stay at 0%.

I'm not quite that bad but I do use a particular razor from Lidl that is 20 for £2.99, sometimes you get 25 for the same price. I've got enough blades to last me about thirty years! Have to store them somewhere dry, mind.

I think you must be the only person in the country not to have the contents of their shopping basket to suit circumstances in the last 5years.

You and the Queen.

I think Merv was hoping we would all behave like ska_mna when he decided to raise prices through QE to give hand outs to his banking buddies. Counter-productive as consumers have retrenched and GDP moved sideways. We haven't all got the insurance of a 7 million pound super-annuated pot. Merv needs to think outside his own gilded cage.

Edited by crashmonitor