House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timm

Slave Arrests May Be Tip Of The Iceberg

The Daily Mash is extra HPC today:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/britain-may-contain-up-to-60-million-slaves-201109134294/

(...)

"They are kept in tiny, beige-carpeted rooms, usually near dual carriageways or retail parks. Often these rooms contain little more than a television, a beige sofa and a Wii. It's just sickening."

(...)

I must admit, I did watch the articles about the traveller slaves with a similar sense of irony.

I also found it, shall we say, 'unsurprising' that such dirt has been dug up about the travellers at this point in time too. Maybe it's all true and it's rather disgusting... perhaps the 9 who were arrested and then released, who then went back to the 'slavery' were suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Arguably, 60m others in the UK are suffering with the latter, too.

I must admit, I did watch the articles about the traveller slaves with a similar sense of irony.

I also found it, shall we say, 'unsurprising' that such dirt has been dug up about the travellers at this point in time too. Maybe it's all true and it's rather disgusting... perhaps the 9 who were arrested and then released, who then went back to the 'slavery' were suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Arguably, 60m others in the UK are suffering with the latter, too.

Perhaps being enslaved by travellers is preferable to a life on the streets for them.

What I find surprising is that despite hearing about the Slavery and Servitude Act 2010 from all sorts of reliable sources such as C4 and the BBC, nobody seems able to point to legislation by that name. Perhaps they are referring to This Cirular. , which relates to the Coroners and Justice Act 2009.

I certainly would not accuse the state broadcaster of having failed to check their facts.

I'm sure they have armies of researchers, wheras I have google and 2 mins of my lunchtime.

Edited by Timm

I have heard that the 60 million slaves are forced to conduct almost all their business using money tokens lent to them at interest.

Also that if they try to use their own debt-free tokens in significant quantities they are punished.

But surely that's just a silly rumour.

What were the 'slaves' doing? why were they called slaves?

From the person CH4 news interviewed last night, it was being paid £40 a day to do all sorts of manual work (11h day), while being fed basic rations, and given very basic shelter.

Assuming the pay was tax free (cash in hand + no questions), that would be about 2/3rds of NMW after tax, although they got a bed in an old caravan and basic food too.

The travellers claimed they could come and go as they liked too, but who knows? The 9 abducted by the police certainly returned to their 'slavery' after they were released though, so the 'come' part must be true.

It all sounds a bit fishy to me. The state digging up some dirt to give support for the evictions would seem very cynical, but I'm left thinking it is all too convenient timing wise.

From about 3m in, they interviewed the chap I mentioned above:

Edited by Traktion

It might be the Mash but many a true word was spoken in jest.

(...)

Exactly.

Savery is only slavery if you want to withdraw your labour and can't.

Hang on...

*pokes Injin*