House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Interesting Cost Free Daytime Lighting Idea

I can imagine some problems with this system, but it's not a bad idea.

Free lighting indoors during the daytime, without opening any skylights or windows.

Free lighting indoors during the daytime, without opening any skylights or windows.

Very interesting...

A good video of an interesting idea.

As some of the comments on YouTube say, though, the poster's username is a bad choice especially if he/she wants the video to be spread around.

I was going to email a link to the video to a few friends, but, given the YouTube username, I'll probably give it a miss.

The selling point is the negligible production cost, using a bottle and water. I'm guessing a light tube costs more.

However, I do wonder how long the water can last before it clouds up and darkens. Or does a little chlorine in an airtight container do the job for years?

If truly viable, I'd probably put one of these in a garden shed or garage etc.

No idea why he chose such a daft username btw.

These chumps have clearly never heard of Velux. Look much nicer too. You can get wee blinds for them and everything.

veluxWindow2.jpg

These chumps have clearly never heard of Velux. Look much nicer too. You can get wee blinds for them and everything.

Yes, it's clearly a grotesque waste of old drink bottles when they could just have gone for one of these in the first place:

conservatory.jpg

Yes, it's clearly a grotesque waste of old drink bottles when they could just have gone for one of these in the first place:

conservatory.jpg

Not sure about that. Too much glass. Would be far too hot during the day.

ahem, I think a few here are missing the point of the bottle and water. It spreads the light, rather just letting in a narrow section of it.

And no I don't think they can afford a proper skylight, even if it did the same job :lol:

So to summarise:

A. spreads the light

B. almost cost free to produce

C. cost free to run

D. recycles unwanted plastic

And if you don't like that summary, sod off ;)

It is a corrugated roof - you can get corrugated plastic - a few small sections will do the job better than the bottle.

I'm only guessing but, I think the water in the bottle focuses the light without acting like a greenhouse thus getting light without additional heat which I think sheets of plastic will do.

Why the negativity? It's a brilliant idea. I guess the chlorine is to stop the algae forming and it lights the whole room much better than a clear plastic roof tile would. Credit where it's due.