House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

£1M In Fines At Sheffield Bus Gates

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/1m_in_fines_at_sheffield_bus_gates_1_3762590

SHEFFIELD Council has made more than £1 million over 19 months in fines from bus gate and bus lane enforcement at just six locations.

The amount of money received each month in fines has increased by 36 per cent this year, compared with 2010, as cameras have been switched on at more locations.

The total fines collected in 2011 up to the end of July stood at £478,156 - £68,308 per month on average, and 36 per cent higher than last year.

A nice little revenue stream for the local authority.

Are Sheffield buses still much cheaper than other cities?

I know the ultra-cheap subsidised fares became a casualty of Fatcher-vs-RedKen fallout, but even after that they looked unusually reasonable.

I think we're actually more expensive than nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester, at least for weekly/monthly passes. Not sure about single trips.

Is a bus gate like a bus lane?

bus gate...some scandal involving brown envelopes for ticket collectors and a prostitute on the top deck, so I hear.

Good news imho. Why shouldn't cars be fined for driving in a bus lane? If anything, this is evidence supporting a hike in fines, as the motorists clearly don't mind choosing to go in the lane and pay the fee.

I got a fine in Leeds once from the West Yorkshire Police for "incursion into a bus lane".

That I was driving around a broken down car (hazzards on, bonnet up, steam plumming out the engine) didn't seem to matter them. I didn't even argue the toss. The £30 fine was considerably less than I would've lost by not been at work for even a short time.

Rule#1 - For an easy life just comply with HMRC and the Police.

I got a fine in Leeds once from the West Yorkshire Police for "incursion into a bus lane".

That I was driving around a broken down car (hazzards on, bonnet up, steam plumming out the engine) didn't seem to matter them. I didn't even argue the toss. The £30 fine was considerably less than I would've lost by not been at work for even a short time.

Rule#1 - For an easy life just comply with HMRC and the Police.

Had the bus lane not been there, how would you have gotten around the hazard?

I think we're actually more expensive than nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester, at least for weekly/monthly passes. Not sure about single trips.

Is a bus gate like a bus lane?

Generally it is a bus lane that runs for about 1 or 2 meters, to stop cars driving from one end of the road to the other, but still allow them to access properties on that road.

I know the ultra-cheap subsidised fares became a casualty of Fatcher-vs-RedKen fallout, but even after that they looked unusually reasonable.

No, it is about £1.80 each, each way into town for me and the gf, so £7.20. Much cheaper to drive it instead, even with parking fees.

To be fair, I did recieve a warning for driving in a bus lane a while back. They had not done a very good job of advertising the change in times cars could use it from half 7am to 8am. Would have been furious if they had just fined me, but a 'first offence' warning seemed fair to me.

Interesting that we have this thread on the same day as the "Uninsured drivers" thread. Where the consensus seems to be that the police don't have the resources to chase down uninsured drivers.

But they do have the resources to chase down bus-lane drivers. From which one might infer that driving in a bus lane is a greater offence than driving without insurance.

Nice to know.

Interesting that we have this thread on the same day as the "Uninsured drivers" thread. Where the consensus seems to be that the police don't have the resources to chase down uninsured drivers.

But they do have the resources to chase down bus-lane drivers. From which one might infer that driving in a bus lane is a greater offence than driving without insurance.

Nice to know.

To be fair - the resources required to chase down bus-gate drivers are a digital camera pointing at the bus-gate, a lackey to watch it in fast-forward, and an envelope to post a fine letter...

I would imagine they have statisticians working out the optimal harvesting rate from the incursions into the bus lane.

If you build physical barriers between the car and bus lanes no harvesting can take place.

If you know that if everytime you make an incursion nto the bus lane that you would be fined, you wouldn't do it.

So presumably they have a policy whereby they let a certain number of incursions take place so that it doesn't stop people risking it and keeping a steady stream of fines coming.

Doesn't seem to be anything to do with 'right' and 'wrong'.

Yep they sure do!

Here in Naarich council crunt 'planners' stuck traffic lights on an inner city ring road roundabout near a major shopping mall entrance causing huge snarl ups constantly - which were rarely there before!

In addition, instead of building an underground entrance access to the Mall, peak time shoppers queue and block the inside lane on the major inner city ring road.

It's all done deliberately - to cause the 'livestock' maximum inconvenience!

To be fair - the resources required to chase down bus-gate drivers are a digital camera pointing at the bus-gate, a lackey to watch it in fast-forward, and an envelope to post a fine letter...

Good point, well made.

Although it might imply that our Masters are more interested in maximising revenue than in chasing the most dangerous offenders :ph34r:

Nice to know.

It amazes me that we don't use the Irish system of insurance discs on the car beside the tax disc. It's immediately obvious if you're in a tip with an uninsured car, and you call the cops straight away. Instead there's a levy on premia worth half a billion a year ( 5 Live Drive this evening). It must be a money spinner for the insurance companies.

It amazes me that we don't use the Irish system of insurance discs on the car beside the tax disc. It's immediately obvious if you're in a tip with an uninsured car, and you call the cops straight away. Instead there's a levy on premia worth half a billion a year ( 5 Live Drive this evening). It must be a money spinner for the insurance companies.

Common in other countries. I remember it from my time in Italy.

Seems unlikely in the UK, 'cos politicians here are far too fearful of the wrath of our motoring lobby to introduce new "anti-car" measures.

Seems unlikely in the UK, 'cos politicians here are far too fearful of the wrath of our motoring lobby to introduce new "anti-car" measures.

Quite. Even Manchester with the busiest bus/cycle road (and 2 spare parellel roads!) in the country is getting cold feet about changing it.

The road/motor lobby is the biggest in the country in terms of representation.

Given that road tax should really be added to petrol, perhaps the sensible option is to go for an MOT disc.

Make MOT tests apply to all cars, not just just those over three years in age. Add the requirement that the car have valid insurance, and we have a cheap easily administered system.

More likely the wrath of Welsh MPs.

Given that road tax should really be added to petrol, perhaps the sensible option is to go for an MOT disc.

Make MOT tests apply to all cars, not just just those over three years in age. Add the requirement that the car have valid insurance, and we have a cheap easily administered system.

If new cars are very unlikely to go wrong it's a bit dubious to have to MOT them before three years. I like the idea they have in some countries that included in the road tax is basic third party insurance, but having all the tax on fuel also seems like a good idea. Would be interesting to know what mileage you'd have to do in order to be better off though. If most cars never go more than five miles and fill up once every couple of months it could be expensive for anyone who drives further regularly.

If new cars are very unlikely to go wrong it's a bit dubious to have to MOT them before three years. I like the idea they have in some countries that included in the road tax is basic third party insurance, but having all the tax on fuel also seems like a good idea. Would be interesting to know what mileage you'd have to do in order to be better off though. If most cars never go more than five miles and fill up once every couple of months it could be expensive for anyone who drives further regularly.

Quite, and its the lazy school run / pint of milk types that need pricing out of their laziness through tax.

Generally it is a bus lane that runs for about 1 or 2 meters, to stop cars driving from one end of the road to the other, but still allow them to access properties on that road.

Everywhere that I know that has these actually has a physical barrier that will only open for a bus.

tim

Next time I need a vehicle, I will buy a bus to take advantage of these bus lanes.