House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Uninsured Drivers

Do their cars have a fuel injected turban? could be the link :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised. Insurance is a complete rip-off. I've paid about £20,000 in premiums over my lifetime, and never yet made a claim.

I'd make it optional to have insurance, and put in place a statutory compensation scheme for personal injury funded by petrol duty. It's about time we got some value for the tax we pay on fuel.

My brother lives in B11, and his latest renewal for a car costing no more than £1500 was £800 - he's over 50, clean licence, not had a claim for over 5 years.

Presumably he's being charged so much because his chances of being hit by an uninsured driver are very high, but if you push up the premiums for everyone, it's likely that more of them won't be able to afford it, so will themselves drive without insurance. It's a vicious circle with no apparent way out for him - he'd love to move as he hates the area, but can't afford to because prices are still too high in the areas you might actually want to live in!

I'd make it optional to have insurance, and put in place a statutory compensation scheme for personal injury funded by petrol duty. It's about time we got some value for the tax we pay on fuel.

But what about the infrastructure and the overseas wars to keep the price down?

Agree on the price of insurance. It's shocking, but isn't it more to do with fraud than profits?

There have been rumours for a long time about certain parts of the country where this is tolerated.

Why should it be?

They have the legal power to remove cars being driven without insurance - the price of scrap must make it worth it?

article-2036332-0DD6378600000578-61_233x593.jpg

Have studied this table but cannot see a common link between these hotspots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036332/Almost-motorists-driving-insurance-parts-Britain.html

Interesting data. Does your link give a hint?

research by the MIB found that one in ten 18 to 34-year-old drivers is unaware that car insurance is a legal requirement

Bloody youngsters costing me money again. :)

There have been rumours for a long time about certain parts of the country where this is tolerated.

Why should it be?

They have the legal power to remove cars being driven without insurance - the price of scrap must make it worth it?

You've got to catch them first.

The majority of patrol cars now have ANPR cameras in which continually scan passing cars and identify ones that are reported as stolen, have no MOT or insurance. This really is a problem that just should not exist. A concerted effort targeted at these areas where cars are seized and crushed would put an end to this sort of abuse. Money could be generated, cars could be removed from the streets (helping combat 'climate change') and insurance premiums would fall for honest drivers. Everyone wins. Something is stopping the police doing this and I can only think that the PC PCs are worried about upsetting certain sections of the community.

The majority of patrol cars now have ANPR cameras in which continually scan passing cars and identify ones that are reported as stolen, have no MOT or insurance. This really is a problem that just should not exist. A concerted effort targeted at these areas where cars are seized and crushed would put an end to this sort of abuse. Money could be generated, cars could be removed from the streets (helping combat 'climate change') and insurance premiums would fall for honest drivers. Everyone wins. Something is stopping the police doing this and I can only think that the PC PCs are worried about upsetting certain sections of the community.

Bob, what we have here is a situation where most people know what the problem is, is it racist to say that these areas are predominantly asian areas or is it an unpleasant fact?

ANPR doesn't help if the plate actually belongs on another car that is taxed and insured.

Yeah cos having a police system that can randomly attack people for potential harm to others is a great idea.

Theres no need for mandatory insurance at all.

Theres certainly no need to be crushing cars just on the basis of no insurance or MOT alone.

Why not just go off the facts (i.e. when someone has a crash then sort things out) rather than this anxiety fueled rubbish?

Yes, rumour has it that when ANPR was introduced in inner London it was found to be racist and targeted black people, so they've stopped using it until they can develop a non-racist version. B)

ANPR doesn't help if the plate actually belongs on another car that is taxed and insured.

ANPR systems can report the car type so you would need to be using a plate from an identical car (make, model and colour)

Very often the penalty for driving without insurance is a fraction of the cost of insurance. Until this is addressed people will continue to take the risk of being caught. The law makers and law enforcers must be aware of this but continue to do nothing about it.

when someone has a crash then sort things out

Not many drivers have a seven figure sum lying around, which is a reasonable sum for the compensation/medical treatment/long term care a person will need after they are seriously disabled by a motorist.

ANPR systems can report the car type so you would need to be using a plate from an identical car (make, model and colour)

Which is what the crims usually do.

If it doesn't match, ANPR cannot reconise the make and model of the vehicle the plate is on. It takes a member of plod to notice that.

Yeah cos having a police system that can randomly attack people for potential harm to others is a great idea.

Theres no need for mandatory insurance at all.

Theres certainly no need to be crushing cars just on the basis of no insurance or MOT alone.

Why not just go off the facts (i.e. when someone has a crash then sort things out) rather than this anxiety fueled rubbish?

You seem to have greater faith in humankind than I have. An uninsured driver would generally either not have the money to 'sort things out' after having a crash or, more likely, would run away from the accident. Mandatory insurance is a courtesy to other drivers on the road so that any damage you cause to other peoples property can be made good.

They need to improve the system to record the location of each plate sighting, and cross reference to previous sightings. If the same plate is spotted a large distance away at close to the same time, then you have a duplicate. Duplicates should incur a severe punishment for the duplicator.