House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

9/11: A Recording Of Live News Coverage

It may seem pretty morbid, but I've often thought that it would be interesting to 'relive' 9/11 as it happened through a recording of (for example) live BBC News coverage from that day -- essentially from, 'We have some breaking news...' onwards.

Does anyone know if such an as-it-happened recording exists, and from where it could be viewed or acquired?

For some reason, I didn't do the obvious.

I had just checked Amazon to see if an 'as it happened' DVD was available. I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner (i.e. before posting my question above) to check YouTube. For some reason, I just assumed it wasn't going to be on there. I think that last time I looked (probably a few years ago), I didn't find such a thing on there.

Anyway, here's the kind of thing I was thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys3h3uCKSPc

Set 'em up, and we'll knock em down. BBC coverage.

I remember watching this at the time, thinking, funny, the scene hasn't changed. What building is she talking about? When asked how they had managed to prophesy the future, the BBC said they had lost the relevant tapes.

I would also like to know how long it takes for the BBC to respond to an incident like this. The presenter is in an upper floor of the Soho Grand Hotel (check out the decor and windows) with a clear view over the 911 site. How long does it take to identify such a viewpoint, get over there, book the room, get the equipment up and running and the downlinks working in 2001, when there's a major disaster unfolding a few blocks away?

Set 'em up, and we'll knock em down. BBC coverage.

I remember watching this at the time, thinking, funny, the scene hasn't changed. What building is she talking about? When asked how they had managed to prophesy the future, the BBC said they had lost the relevant tapes.

I would also like to know how long it takes for the BBC to respond to an incident like this. The presenter is in an upper floor of the Soho Grand Hotel (check out the decor and windows) with a clear view over the 911 site. How long does it take to identify such a viewpoint, get over there, book the room, get the equipment up and running and the downlinks working in 2001, when there's a major disaster unfolding a few blocks away?

Just another "first" wasnt it? A news outlet predicting a multi storey building collapsing in to its own footprint. Minutes before it came to pass.

Ive not watched one second of this weeks coverage, becauase i know in my heart and my head it was a ******ing sham.

I feel intensely sad for the dead and their relatives. But i do NOT recognise the medias version of events and i never will.

Also they must have rushed setting up the uplink (joke) cos conveniently, the signal to Phillip Hayton went down a few minutes before Building 7 DID fall down.

How would THAT have looked?

And i dont really implicate the BBC here, they were reporting what the machine was telling them.

Utter horseshit from ball 1.

After having watched bits of 'as it happened' news coverage from the BBC, from CNN and from NBC, the NBC one seems to be the superior coverage.

Their pictures seem clearer and more varied, and their commentary seems much more savvy. With the hindsight we have now, some of the live commentary (particularly the BBC World stuff) seems inane and more than a little idiotic.

So, from what I've seen so far, if you're interested in watching 'as it happened' stuff, search for '9 11 as it happened nbc'.