House Price Crash Forum
Executive Sadman

Russians Copy Those Chinese Who Copy The English

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14851129

In the countryside outside Moscow, an army of cement mixers is droning, churning and, quite bizarrely, helping to turn Russian fields into an English town.

They're building 200 "British-style" houses here and they've called the compound Hyde Park. It's one of several UK-themed residential areas popping up around Russia, for rich Russians with a soft spot for Britain.

The best bit

"Britain is a very stable and a very conservative country," he tells me. "Just the kind of place Russia should be." :lol:

Yeah, the image of 21st century Britain alight in riots with thousands of 'youths' running amok broadcast around the world is just a picture of conservatism and stability. :unsure:

They should just model the village on Mogadishu, its what most of England will look like soon enough.

Plus the houses look more like American mcmansions than English homes.

http://eng.country.realtor.ru/compounds/lot/21808/

Keep electing those idiot politicians who are always inviting the entire third world to the UK and the UK will be Mogadishu, Baghdad, or Kabul soon enough. You can be sure that those liberal politicians don't live in communities with those third world immigrants.

I read where the Chinese are going to copy the entire town of Greenwich, Connecticut and build it just outside Shanghai so that their rich people will have a nice place to live. I hope it turns out better than those cheap, copied Rolexes.

Yeah, they do look just like American McMansions. I hope the estate agents don't talk the buyers into interest only mortgages that jump to a high interest rate in three years like they did in the US. It would be sad to see every other house in forclosure three years from now.

They're mostly ugly houses, a cross between modern English homes in Gerrards Cross and American homes.

However, they're still light years better than the rabbit hutch luxury flats being imposed upon us in recent decades. I'd prefer one of these odd Russian homes to anything in my price range here. And the derogatory term "McMansion" doesn't hide the fact these new builds are superior to most UK rubbish.

Seems to me these communist countries aren't just catching up with us. They're getting ahead of us. Wake up people.

I read where the Chinese are going to copy the entire town of Greenwich, Connecticut and build it just outside Shanghai so that their rich people will have a nice place to live. I hope it turns out better than those cheap, copied Rolexes.

I suppose they'll copy only the downtown and some of the fancy outlying areas, like the famous Round Hill Road area. Much of Greenwich CT is really quite ordinary, like the Byram or Glenville areas. BTW, I recently sold an (inherited) ordinary place in the Glenville area and it was nothing special -- of course that's not how the real estate agent described it when it was on the market. :)

They're mostly ugly houses, a cross between modern English homes in Gerrards Cross and American homes.

However, they're still light years better than the rabbit hutch luxury flats being imposed upon us in recent decades. I'd prefer one of these odd Russian homes to anything in my price range here. And the derogatory term "McMansion" doesn't hide the fact these new builds are superior to most UK rubbish.

Seems to me these communist countries aren't just catching up with us. They're getting ahead of us. Wake up people.

Ha, i dont deny that. These big private detached things in moscow arent cheap though. A lot more than most american mcmansions.

And heating a 3000-5000sqft place in winter in Texas might be doable, but for most in Russia...Guess the one good thing about commieblocks is every flat only had one external wall to lose heat from.

Does the English themed pub have over priced and taxed beer for that truly authentic feel?

£8 a pint I heard.

I went to a British pub in Moscow once, it had the place mats screwed to the wall as pictures. I went to the bar for beer and got strange looks - table service only.

Chavtastic! Only the Russians and Chinese! That's what new money does to taste!

PS. Ahem, 200 houses - I think the thicko BBC mean a village!

PS. 2 This is post riot PR shit from Auntie Pravda. How many wealthy Russians? - this is emotional unquantified claptrap. What about the mafia/oligarch angle re Russians doing business in London? Thought not.

Edited by gruffydd

Communist? :blink: