House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Doctor Who

Also under Moffat it's written more like a comedy show, with dialogue that's a little too sharp for real life and even in comparison to the RTD era.

And I noticed this season the River Song orientated episodes have progressively gotten more bogged down and less entertaining as the season dragged on, but the last two episodes have compensated. I'm looking forward to this week's episode penned by Toby Whithouse, he has done really well with Being Human (which I prefer to the similarily fun, but sometimes too sleazy and crude Misfits).

The deaths of Amy and Rory in series 5 fell very flat IMO, and that was before they were undone.

I have a hard time raising more than a yawn when a major character dies in Doctor Who these days because you know he'll press the reset button and bring them back later.

Not a bad episode "The God Complex" I thought. Set in a creepy virtual 70's hotel. A little bit of figuring out and detective work required by the Doctor, even though a few people had to die before he twigged how the monster operated. No last minute winding every thing up with the sonic screwdriver for a change! Good cameo by David Walliams, the Doctor gives Amy and Rory a house and e-type Jaguar!

the Doctor gives Amy and Rory a house and e-type Jaguar!

Leela and Romana mk. II (who both got a K-9 each) must be feeling a bit gypped!

Still, most companions just leave with the clothes they're wearing that day, so quite a result there.

Again another nice episode, I thought. Maintaining the overall pleasing standard of this 6th series. I particularly liked the "firing" of Amy when a better companion appeared.

Seems that whenever the Doctor deliberately sets his sights on someone as a potential companion (Lynda with a "y", Asrid and now Rita), something 'orrible happens to them.

And even a nod to the notorious "Horns of Nimon" story.

the Doctor gives Amy and Rory a house

Is this a subtle suggestion that the only way that young couples can "get on the ladder" is via the intervention of an elderly Galifreyan boomer?

DoctorWho_Money-7.jpg

Leela and Romana mk. II (who both got a K-9 each) must be feeling a bit gypped!

The Masked Tulip too as I suspect that house is in Wales and the Doctor bought in th 60's for a few hundred Gallifrey notes (along with the E-Type).

and the Doctor bought in the 60's for a few hundred Gallifrey notes (along with the E-Type).

That makes a whole lot of sense, hadn't thought of that.

Maybe he's been renting the house out all these years?

OK, the current River Song story arc's coming together a bit better now and I hoped that was the last we've seen of James Corden.

Me too. Not sure about last nights episode. Might have to watch it again. It had its moments, but appeared a bit too frivolous for my liking. Got quite moving towards the end when the Doctor prepares to meet his fate. I might even have shed a tear or two! Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor. Is killing off the Doctor part of a contractual war of nerves I wonder, similar to killing off Nimoy in Star Trek? Shame they are insistent on playing him for laughs as he's capable of portraying a much darker Time Lord. Maybe I've just getting old and should accept "its for the kids innit."

I wouldn't have thought that a young guy could have played the Doctor so well. Was pleased to be proved wrong. Well they said a blonde couldn't play Bond, and they were wrong about that too! ;)

Loved the way Corden presented the Doc with a stetson, tying in with the whole "Stetson's are cool" at the very beginning.

Not sure about last nights episode. Might have to watch it again. It had its moments, but appeared a bit too frivolous for my liking. Got quite moving towards the end when the Doctor prepares to meet his fate.

I liked it. Even James Corden. The "baby talk" thing was a bit silly, but not entirely implausible given the TARDIS's telepathic circuits.

The Cybermen stuff was almost peripheral to the Doctor's mental preparation for his fate. I still don't think we've had a "proper" story about the Cybermen in the new series, one that just focuses on them, not their creator (and a parallel universe creator at that), or where they have to share screen time with Torchwood, the Daleks etc. Still it was nice to see the Cybermats back again.

A couple of old lines got reused (yes, I am that sad).

"You've redecorated. I don't like it" (The Three Doctors/The Five Doctors).

"Not a rat, a Cybermat" (Revenge of the Cybermen).

Series 6 as a whole has been the most consistently good since Chris Ecclestone's era IMO. Series 5 I felt was a bit too much like an RTD season under slightly different management but the Moffat era has now achieved it's own distinct "feel". I think this really started with the Christmas special, which was very different to any of the previous ones.

And Matt Smith is just amazing. I was very doubtful when someone so young was cast but I was wrong, so very, very wrong.

"You've redecorated. I don't like it" (The Three Doctors/The Five Doctors).

Sarah Jane uses that too in the Tennant season finale after he tows the Earth back into place and thwarting Davros and the Daleks (again).

Yes I am that sad too! :lol:

Sarah Jane uses that too in the Tennant season finale after he tows the Earth back into place and thwarting Davros and the Daleks (again).

Forgot about that one. :D

Here's some fanart I've done this year with pencils on A3 paper:

What that is, is some real talent. Mind if I print a couple out and pop them on my pinboard in the office?

It's really odd how people who all love the show generally come to different conclusions. While the build up towards the finale was there, that last episode was trash. Real trash. The ending, true RTD style, left you feeling like you'd invested 45 minutes chatting someone up, seemed to be on the cusp of success, and he or she then throws a drink in your face and walks off citing no reason and leaving you mystified as to what the point of the whole thing was.

Curiously - Bart - would I be right in guessing your favourite doctor was Pertwee? Who I didn't really rate at all. Yet, we are in complete agreement on Matt Smith. He really is excellent. Some of those shots in the Tardis, both in this episode and the last, had a delicious 1960s throwback feel to them (used to great effect on the Dalek ship in The Parting of the Ways also). Lovely imagery (is it just me that wonders if the openings/doors on the upper level of the Tardis are just wide and tall enough for a Dalek to come through them?) and Matt was perfect.

Curiously - Bart - would I be right in guessing your favourite doctor was Pertwee? Who I didn't really rate at all. Yet, we are in complete agreement on Matt Smith.

Jon was my first Doctor, so he will always be special to me. Had I been born in a different era, who knows? (no pun intended :D )

I've liked all three of the modern era Doctors, despite having initial reservations about both Chris Eccleston and Matt Smith.

But then again, Tom Baker seemed an odd choice back in 1974 and he worked out pretty well.

Whichever actor you pick, you'll find someone who rates them as the worst ever and someone else who thinks that they're the best ever.

What that is, is some real talent. Mind if I print a couple out and pop them on my pinboard in the office?

Yeah, sure.

I've copied them off recent covers of the Radio Times, sorry about the image quality since they're A3 and so too big for most scanners, so I used a digital camera.

Yeah, sure.

I've copied them off recent covers of the Radio Times, sorry about the image quality since they're A3 and so too big for most scanners, so I used a digital camera.

Hope you don't mind me printing them off and pinboarding too. I think they are really good! :rolleyes:

You have inspired me to get back into doing some drawing too!

Whacky end of season finale, very enjoyable, and setting things up nicely for the new series.

"scones and texting..." :lol:

Whacky end of season finale, very enjoyable, and setting things up nicely for the new series.

"scones and texting..." :lol:

Yes, I thought it maintained a nice balance between epic events and personal stuff, some of the other season finales try to cram way too much in (e.g. "Journey's End").

Series 7 won't start transmission until Autumn 2012 it seems, and this may be reduced in length or split over 2012/2013 (link).

Every time I watch Dr. Who I:

1. Am reminded of what a good actor David Tennant is.

2. Play a game to try and spot the ideas/concepts already used in other major Sci-Fi shows. Last night's Area 52 on the side of a pyramid was so Stargate SG1 IMPO.

Yes, I thought it maintained a nice balance between epic events and personal stuff, some of the other season finales try to cram way too much in (e.g. "Journey's End").

Series 7 won't start transmission until Autumn 2012 it seems, and this may be reduced in length or split over 2012/2013 (link).

Not sure if Season 7 has even been commissioned yet?

2. Play a game to try and spot the ideas/concepts already used in other major Sci-Fi shows. Last night's Area 52 on the side of a pyramid was so Stargate SG1 IMPO.

Its what I like about "New Who" are the nods to other classic shows. Such as Gerry Andersons Cloudbase from Captain Scarlet transformed into the Valiant in The Sound of Drums, Stolen Earth and The Poison Sky episodes.

Its what I like about "New Who" are the nods to other classic shows. Such as Gerry Andersons Cloudbase from Captain Scarlet transformed into the Valiant in The Sound of Drums, Stolen Earth and The Poison Sky episodes.

Surely what you call nods to other shows some others might call rip-offs?

Surely what you call nods to other shows some others might call rip-offs?

They are insignificant in terms of the plot and only appear literally for seconds of screen time?