• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

And the emotional bits were actually emotional.

The Stephen Moffat era did seem to dial back some of the emotional punch of the RTD stories for a while but tonight's definitely tugged at the heartstrings.

An excellent episode in what has been (so far) one of most consistently good seasons since the 9th Doctor was in the TARDIS.

HOLA447

Some of the Tennant ones were good but IMPO because Tennant is a fine actor.

Tennant was just as good an actor in rancid cack like "Fear Her" and "Gridlock" as he was in good episodes like "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Blink" (both Stephen Moffat scripts BTW).

HOLA448

Stephen Moffat, and Mark Gatiss are among my favourite Doctor Who writers. Downloading the latest episode now on iPlayer. Glad it is a good one and gets the HPC seal of approval. Of the new series Doctors I list them below in order of my preference..though all excellent.

1. Matt Smith (outstanding)

2. Chris Ecclestone (should have done a second series).

3. David Tennant (just a bit too much gurning for my liking, but still very good, excellent in fact).

My Doctor will always be William Hartnell of course. Watched him the other day in Brighton Rock where he played a shifty villain/gangster in a loud cheque suit!

HOLA449

My Doctor will always be William Hartnell of course. Watched him the other day in Brighton Rock where he played a shifty villain/gangster in a loud cheque suit!

As my Hartnell DVD collection has expanded, I've realized that the ultra severe Hartnell of the very early stories became a rather wonderful, dotty old duffer who is a pleasure to watch.

HOLA4410

Stephen Moffat, and Mark Gatiss are among my favourite Doctor Who writers. Downloading the latest episode now on iPlayer. Glad it is a good one and gets the HPC seal of approval. Of the new series Doctors I list them below in order of my preference..though all excellent.

3. David Tennant (just a bit too much gurning for my liking, but still very good, excellent in fact).

Top man! Who can forget him as Sgt. Bullimore in Carry on Sergeant?!

HOLA4411

Well, I've been fairly critical of the latest series...

Tonight's episode was, I'd say, probably the best since the Ecclestone season. Absolutely outstanding script, acting, sets, story.

And the emotional bits were actually emotional.

Brilliant.

Um, didn't do much for me. Not bad but not what I was expecting.

HOLA4412

Top man! Who can forget him as Sgt. Bullimore in Carry on Sergeant?!

Pendant alert!

Sgt. Bullimore was the character he played in The Army Game. He was Sergeant Grimshawe in Carry on Sergeant.

Although was there really much difference between 'em, apart from the name? I've never seen The Army Game so I don't know.

HOLA4413

Pendant alert!

Sgt. Bullimore was the character he played in The Army Game. He was Sergeant Grimshawe in Carry on Sergeant.

Although was there really much difference between 'em, apart from the name? I've never seen The Army Game so I don't know.

I hope that was deliberate 'Bart' :P

The Army Game and Bootsie and Snudge are two I would like to try if they ever get shown on one of the digi channels, Charles Hawtree was in one of those as well.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The Stephen Moffat era did seem to dial back some of the emotional punch of the RTD stories for a while but tonight's definitely tugged at the heartstrings.

An excellent episode in what has been (so far) one of most consistently good seasons since the 9th Doctor was in the TARDIS.

I'm not sure about the "emotional punch". The episodes from Season 2 thru to now have, I'd say, been characterised far too much by what in literature might be "purple prose" and incidental music spooned over the top far too liberally.

Whether or not the Doctor is a net force for good or not is a subject that has come up in the past, particularly in the Trial of a Time Lord season (classic series, Colin Baker), but it has been overplayed since the Tennant era IMO, plus, it's one thing to do character development, but another to over-cook it. I can imagine what some of the characters might be feeling, I don't need it explained to me over and over. More subtlety, please. It's a sci-fi drama, not an episode of Casualty.

From the Ecclestone era: The Parting of the Ways, Billie Piper sent back to Earth sitting in the cafe with Micky and her Mum. "I can't just sit here and eat chips..." - outstanding script, outstanding acting. She was truly special, and that scene was contexted properly and superbly against the "war" being fought on the space station. That's when it works and works well.

This episode presented a moral dilemma, but thanks to not being overdone, over-scripted, over-acted, all of those "RTD" elements (if I might call them that) really worked. There was only one moment in the whole episode - near the end, when they were going to escape and the "The Doctor has a plan and is going to win now" music (you know, that same rousing bit of incidental music they always put in) came in that I thought was just fractionally overdone. Most of it hung on the acting, and weren't Amy and Rory superb.

The moral aspects of the thing were credible, believable. And (almost) no gurning. The balance was just right.

For me:

1. Chris Ecclestone (Shakesperian actor - someone had taken a tip from Star Trek The Next Generation there - outstanding; appeal for both children and adults).

2. Matt Smith (outstanding)

3. David Tennant (far, far too much gurning for my liking, appeal for children only).

For me (I think, this is so hard to do):

1. Peter Davison

2. Tom Baker

3. Christopher Ecclestone

4. Matt Smith

5. Patrick Troughton

6. William Hartnell

7. David Tennant

8. Sylvester McCoy

9. Jon Pertwee

10. Colin Baker

What's really hard is to try to separate the portrayal of the character from the quality of the episodes and stories, and I can't ignore the fact that when I was watching the broadcast shows as I grew up, most of them were (1) and (2) above.

HOLA4416

I'm not sure about the "emotional punch". The episodes from Season 2 thru to now have, I'd say, been characterised far too much by what in literature might be "purple prose" and incidental music spooned over the top far too liberally.

It seems to me that when the script chooses to go for the emotions in the Moffat era, it is often less successful than in the RTD era. The deaths of Amy and Rory in series 5 fell very flat IMO, and that was before they were undone.

Years 1-4 seemed to have a lot more of these moments that stick in the memory than years 5-6:

The finale of "Dalek"

Large parts of "Father's Day"

The Doctor kissing Rose at the end of "The Parting of the Ways"

The ending of "School Reunion"

The ending of "The Girl in the Fireplace"

The Doctor's separation from Rose at the end of "Doomsday"

The death of The Master at the end of season 3

In contrast, for series 5-6 I can only think of:

The last 5 minutes of "Vincent and the Doctor"

"The Girl Who Waited"

HOLA4417

Stand out episodes for me since the relaunch:

Blink

Waters of Mars

Both parts of The Empty Child (there's a scene in a much later episode with the Sontarons when 10th doctor puts on a gas mask and says "are you my Mummy?" Hilarious)

Dalek (just the one of them with Chris Ecclestone)

Human Nature & The Family of Blood two-parter

The Girl In The Fireplace

Midnight

The Impossible Planet (part one only)

The Stolen Earth (first episode of the season four finale)

The Christmas Invasion

Love & Monsters

Silence In The Library (part one only)

HOLA4418

Love & Monsters

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that one.

I tend to prefer the "smaller" stories rather than the overblown epics.

The Long Game

Father's Day

Boom Town

School Reunion

The Girl in the Fireplace

Love & Monsters

The Runaway Bride

Blink

Turn Left

The Lodger

The Girl Who Waited

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm afraid Tennant did too much gurning for me to take him as a serious actor in Dr Who. Full stop.

I haven't watched the latest series, I don't need to in order to know the scriptwriters will sort everything out by lazily resorting to the sonic screwdriver at some point.

Odd that you should mention Brighton Rock. I got a copy of it on DVD yesterday and didn't realise Hartnell was in it.

HOLA4421

I haven't watched the latest series, I don't need to in order to know the scriptwriters will sort everything out by lazily resorting to the sonic screwdriver at some point.

Definitely still too much of that I'm afraid.

My fave is from the end of "Doomsday" (I think) where David Tennant uses the sonic screwdriver to adjust some setting on the TARDIS when he's 2 flippin' feet away from the console!

Odd that you should mention Brighton Rock. I got a copy of it on DVD yesterday and didn't realise Hartnell was in it.

That's because he looked like this. :)

patrick_troughton.jpg

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I found Amy's death in "The Pandorica Opens" emotional

I didn't find it as emotional as it could have been. I think the fact that it would be negated within a few minutes of the next episode meant that the production team didn't go all out with it.

The loss of Amy 2 (or is it Amy 1?) in TGWW was 10 times more effective (IMO).

Archived