House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Marriott Millionaire's Son Wins $107 Million In Virginia Lotto

Some people have all the luck. Brian McCarthy, son of millionaire Marriott president Robert McCarthy, can add an extra $107 million to his family fortune from the Virginia lottery.

The 25-year-old bachelor bought five tickets on a whim at the Herndon, Va., grocery store Giant. He had gone in to use the ATM and bought five tickets without even knowing how much the prize money was. He didn't even pick personal lucky numbers, letting the computer pick them for him.

A few days later, he checked Facebook for the winning numbers and got the surprise of a lifetime.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/marriott-millionaires-son-wins-107-million-virginia-lottery/story?id=14483086&fb_ref=abc-fb-recs

Well, there you go.

Excellent.

Are the various US lottos the ones that pay out a monthly sum after tax?

You can have a yearly sum or a lump sum. You pay taxes on both, both state taxes and federal taxes but it is a grey area if a Brit wins it. I think - could be wrong - you just pay the state tax then and bug out.

I suppose 'worthy' people do win these things. We just hear about the feckless chavs who squander it in months on tat, or the already-rich, or the people who win more than once, because they make better stories.

Think it's my turn soon...

"He didn't even pick personal lucky numbers, letting the computer pick them for him" as if doing that is some sign of being a separate-from-everyone-else rich man's son. Weird. Can't help wondering what sort of person would think that worth mentioning, and then go as far as to put the word "even" in there, as if it's not normal to not think that there are such things as personal lucky numbers.

I notice my lucky 17 in the timestamp on your post, Riedquat. I can't lose come Euromillions Friday!

If it's my timestamp that does it for you then I hope you'll remember that when you're rich!

"For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath"

Matthew 25

Not much changes...

This was no accident. This 'win' was designed to test the reaction of the proles. Since when does a millionaire's son enter the lottery?

Carry On Grazing.

Lottery winnings are taxable in the US, so about 35% of that will be going to the IRS. (plus VA state taxes?)

They're the proceeds of gambling. I suppose the same will follow over here.

The story tells me two things:

1 ) Despite his wealth, the guy was so bored and at a loss to do something, he bought a lottery ticket.

2 ) Despite his wealth, the guy was still dissatisfied and wanted more.

There's a parable in there somewhere.