House Price Crash Forum

I'm on the mailing list for many EA's, and often get calls from the Foxy crowd.

A few days ago I had a chat with one of their ladies that differed from the norm.

Something like this:

Foxy:"Good morning. I believe you're looking for a property in London"

Me: "Yes, a three bed house in SW London, max price £500k, but all I'm seeing is a lot of over-priced rubbish"

Foxy:"Well we have this lovely 3 bed house, this is an investor selling their portfolio"

Me: "Aren't they all?"

Foxy:"Oh yes, absolutely, this person is very keen to sell this house, they have dropped the price to £430k"

We've known on HPC that ironically EA's would turn and be our friends on the way down.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this experience, particularly with Foxtons.

After all, 2.5% of £400k is better than 2.5% of £0.

Well there's your house. Does this mean your buying now?

The prices haven't fallen enough. For London I consider 2000 prices to be reasonable.

When these places are selling for under £350k I will consider buying more seriously, but I think that in a year's time the economy will be in a very dire state.

No rush to buy.

But I'd like to know if other people are finding EA's talking the market down, particularly the Foxton's crowd.

Edited by BandWagon

A few days ago I had a chat with one of their ladies that differed from the norm.

Something like this:

We've known on HPC that ironically EA's would turn and be our friends on the way down.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this experience, particularly with Foxtons.

You have put your finger on it, there - VOLUMES.

Sad that so many EAs overlook this simple mathematical principal having been seduced by the rising market and the returns it brought them; now volumes are down severely, they HAVE to encourage vendors to drop prices to stay alive.

The last EA I suggested this to practically barracked me out of his office saying "Prices aren't going down! I can show you evidence that prices aren't going down!"...so no, I have not had the 'Foxtons' experience you have had! <_<

The prices haven't fallen enough. For London I consider 2000 prices to be reasonable.

When these places are selling for under £350k I will consider buying more seriously, but I think that in a year's time the economy will be in a very dire state.

No rush to buy.

dont you think 350 k is still outrageous for a 3 bed terrace ?

does it have gold bannisters ?

the people that talked it up will have to talk it down or face closing down

very true, but do they have the intelligence to do so? It would seem not... <_<

Yes. Jackson Stops and Staff in Kent have been busy grumbling to me that they would love to sell me the house we've been eyeing for the price we're prepared to pay (some 150,000 below what the vendor wants - 450 instead of 600) but the vendor hasn't grasped reality and won't drop his price. They said this applied more generally too. They seem to realise the market has stalled and the sooner some vendors drop their prices -and inject a bit of thrust into the market - the more controlled the crash will be.

Quite interesting, we're just sitting watching the price on this house falling gradually since it went on in February, but not nearly far enough for us to nibble. If someone else does, good luck to them!

There's a nice 3 bed semi round the corner which was 149k last year.

Then it was 133k.

Now it's 125k.

Still too early to offer 85k, though. I'll check back in a few months...

My experience of F***tons is that they are lying scum who will bully and cajole you at all costs.

I would not believe a single word from a F***tons employee's mouth if I were you. Indeed, it is safest to assume that whwtever they say if diametrically opposed to the truth.

No rush to buy.

But I'd like to know if other people are finding EA's talking the market down, particularly the Foxton's crowd.

I think the "max £500,000" might have more to do with it, to be honest. I saw a programme a few years ago about an EA, they had someone come in the office wating to buy for about that amount and the 'top' agent handled the lady's search and was told to stick to her like glue, as she was classed as a 'gold star' customer. In recent years the level of potential spend may have risen for you to become this type of client, but maybe that level has now dropped back down?

I sadly have a little less to spend and am not seeing this sort of treatment, but I do get a lot more details sent through to me now (18 months ago, I hardly had any, now I get 2/3 houses a week, most are ones I've rejected before).

Something like this:

Foxtons change of strategy: we'll know it is all over when they start selling those bottles of mineral water in their offices rather than giving them to customers for free.