House Price Crash Forum

What's Up At Barclays ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I am fairly certain Barclays will prove to be insolvent, presumably losses in Europe and owing too much to a certain Sovereign Wealth Fund.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I am fairly certain Barclays will prove to be insolvent, presumably losses in Europe and owing too much to a certain Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Thinking back to 2007/2008 people were saying Barclays were one of the safe banks !!!

They might need a bailout soon.

I personally don't have any money in Barclays, not my favorite bank.....hang on...I have no favorite bank...they are all c****

HOLA445

That and I just withdrew 40 quid.

Terribad,

how remiss of you, they probably arent good for that.

Seriously though, when Barclays paid out way more in bonuses than they did in dividends, it must have scared off any rational investors. It was the sort of behaviour that management would engage in if they were looting the business, knowing that it didnt have long left no matter what they did.

HOLA446

Terribad,

how remiss of you, they probably arent good for that.

Seriously though, when Barclays paid out way more in bonuses than they did in dividends, it must have scared off any rational investors. It was the sort of behaviour that management would engage in if they were looting the business, knowing that it didnt have long left no matter what they did.

Will be interesting to see their next round of bonuses !!!!

The banking system really does look ****ed. All this easy money in London must be disappearing at a fast rate of knots. When the money goes, so will the London house prices. London is not immune, London will be worst affected. And when London goes....all the little piggies will follow...get the pop corn in...it can't be long now :lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Look at the return on their investment shareholders are getting in proportion to the bonuses Barclays pay themselves.

What -50% in 12 months :lol:

I just wish I had some money in Barclays to withdraw. I'd be starting to feel a bit uneasy leaving it there right about now last week

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thinking back to 2007/2008 people were saying Barclays were one of the safe banks !!!

They might need a bailout soon.

I personally don't have any money in Barclays, not my favorite bank.....hang on...I have no favorite bank...they are all c****

You mean they'll need a taxpayer bailout rather than a Sheik bailout investing?

HOLA4411

It was a common feature of Weimar Germany. Company management teams were ripping off their shareholders wholesale.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The time for remorse is over.

I really hope Merv let's Barcrap go.

It was the Treasury that saved banks that should have gone last time. I dont think Merv has the mandate to save the insolvent. He can lend against various assets, but if they dont have those assets, they have to go cap in hand to the Treasury.

For a long time on the news I kept hearing commentators bemoan the appalling decision to let Lehman's go bust. I havent heard that recently, perhaps there has been a sea change of opinion, an understanding that propping up crooked banks by transferring their debts to the state and eliminating moral hazard, just makes things worse?

HOLA4415

For a long time on the news I kept hearing commentators bemoan the appalling decision to let Lehman's go bust. I havent heard that recently, perhaps there has been a sea change of opinion, an understanding that propping up crooked banks by transferring their debts to the state and eliminating moral hazard, just makes things worse?

I'm sure the bankers would disagree with that statement.

The other 65 million in the country would agree. :rolleyes:

HOLA4416

It was the Treasury that saved banks that should have gone last time. I dont think Merv has the mandate to save the insolvent. He can lend against various assets, but if they dont have those assets, they have to go cap in hand to the Treasury.

All depends how you value the assets, doesn't it? Merv could offer to buy high LTV (or even negative equity) mortgages at the banks' own mark-to-fantasy valuations. That would buy some time.

HOLA4417

I'm sure the bankers would disagree with that statement.

The other 65 million in the country would agree. :rolleyes:

Aaaah, but that's just it. Many millions in this country are surviving because of low interest rates on their mortgages and forbearance by the banks. They know that if the banks are held to account, their own mortgages and CC debt will destroy them.

HOLA4418

Aaaah, but that's just it. Many millions in this country are surviving because of low interest rates on their mortgages and forbearance by the banks. They know that if the banks are held to account, their own mortgages and CC debt will destroy them.

I know...it's hilarious isn't it.

There will be a rush for the exit soon :lol:

HOLA4419

All depends how you value the assets, doesn't it? Merv could offer to buy high LTV (or even negative equity) mortgages at the banks' own mark-to-fantasy valuations. That would buy some time.

Yes, absolutely right. And the one stunt that the BofE pulled which should have been stamped down on, was the buying of gilts in the open market. That allows banks to sell at a nice no risk profit to the Bank of England, generating a bit of bonus money at the expense of all sterling holders who get devalued by the action.

QE is a legitimate policy, but it should only be allowed by direct financing of government deficit, not by over bidding for assets on banks balance sheets.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The disparity of rewards has become more marked since the financial crisis. In 2007, the final year before the meltdown, shareholders received £2.23bn and BarCap's 16,200 investment bankers took home £1.3bn in bonuses. By 2009, bonuses had reached £2.2bn but shareholders received just £285m.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/8324166/Barclays-facing-investor-backlash-over-bonuses.html

Share price down how much since 2007 then dividends so low compared to bonuses. A bit like a punch in the stomach followed by an uppercut?

Shareholders must have loved listening to Bob Diamond sat there saying "the time for remorse is over".

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I think their giving me 0.5% plus a 0.25% bonus on my cash in there, they deserve to go down when santander gives close to 3%.

Open a santander current account through topcashback (£55.55) and use the switching service to get £100 and 5% on balances ip to £2500, a current account paying more than a savings accound :huh:

HOLA4425