House Price Crash Forum
leicestersq

Public Sector Pay Still Rising

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8748160/When-is-a-pay-freeze-not-a-pay-freeze.html

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the stated policy of the government to reduce the deficit, and the actions that they are taking. Public sector troughing is on the rise, as are pensions and HB, with nice index linked benefit increases.

The only policy they seem determined to carry through is increasing the tax burden on the private sector, a move that is bound to encourage jobs.

This will end well.

I'd love to know where these places still awarding pay rises are.

None of the rank and file staff in any of the councils I work at have had the pay point progressions applied this year (or last in most cases).

If you are talking about senior staff "re-grading" themselves then it is a hell of a lot more than an average of 1.7% I can tell you.

I'd love to know where these places still awarding pay rises are.

None of the rank and file staff in any of the councils I work at have had the pay point progressions applied this year (or last in most cases).

If you are talking about senior staff "re-grading" themselves then it is a hell of a lot more than an average of 1.7% I can tell you.

NHS

Cannot remember the last time I had a pay increase its been so many years now.

Public or private sector?

I'm private sector and haven't had a pay rise in four years. Not a penny.

Stories like this are there to cause resentment towards public sector workers. Shame as some are really good and don't have a pay rise (I assume). Those that have ought to be named and shamed and then promptly 'put on garden leave', as they clearly have no manegement skills so shouldn't be in the role.

From the local rag's website:

"30 posts set to go at steel plant"

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/business/jobs/30_posts_set_to_go_at_steel_plant_1_3041318

"Hundreds of staff at council keep jobs"

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/local/corby/hundreds_of_staff_at_council_keep_jobs_1_3041327

It seems the wrong way around to me.

I fear the cuts are a joke and the IMF are booking their flight tickets as I type.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Public or private sector?

I'm private sector and haven't had a pay rise in four years. Not a penny.

Private sector and probably about the same length of time.

My last pay adjustment was a 3 day working week rolling for about 3 months.

NHS

Not if they're earning £21k or over.

Other half is in Private Sector and enjoyed another 6% rise this year.

She does carry a lot of dullards though, admittingly.

Must be a different NHS to this one.

Nope same one. The inflation payrise has been stopped for now, but we are garanteed an increment of roughly 6% per year as long as we don't have more than 18 days off sick per year (or more than 4 'episodes'), and complete mandatory training each year (falling asleep once a year in a lecture hall, or mashing buttons on a multiple choice test until its all correct).

incriment policy changes from Trust to Trust, but as far as I know not many trusts have frozen it.

Incriments can be seen here for nationwide NHS payscales: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/default.aspx?id=766

Whatever band you're in, you go up one Point every 12 months until you're top of the band, then it stops.

Edited by Terribad

Nope same one. The inflation payrise has been stopped for now, but we are garanteed an increment of roughly 6% per year as long as we don't have more than 18 days off sick per year (or more than 4 'episodes'), and complete mandatory training each year (falling asleep once a year in a lecture hall, or mashing buttons on a multiple choice test until its all correct).

So you're on less than £21k, or you work for an NHS funded private provider?

Even before the freeze, 6% YOY is pure fantasy, the bandings see to that.

Lucky you.

Sounds like a different NHS to the one I recognise though. I've endured the godawful mandatory training to qualify for a pay freeze. Before the "all public sector workers are incompetent, over-paid, work-shy scroungers" brigade start, I'm not against serious public sector cuts & could rant for ages about where they should fall without reducing the services that should be provided. A 6% increment is something we'd dream of (oh Christ, now I sound like one of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen).

Not if they're earning £21k or over.

Other half is in Private Sector and enjoyed another 6% rise this year.

She does carry a lot of dullards though, admittingly.

You're thinking of the inflation payrise, which has been frozen. You are forgetting the incriment, which is the juicy one. Roughly 1k a year for most bands.

Lucky you.

Sounds like a different NHS to the one I recognise though. I've endured the godawful mandatory training to qualify for a pay freeze. Before the "all public sector workers are incompetent, over-paid, work-shy scroungers" brigade start, I'm not against serious public sector cuts & could rant for ages about where they should fall without reducing the services that should be provided. A 6% increment is something we'd dream of (oh Christ, now I sound like one of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen).

I worked in the private sector til 2008, then jumped ship when I thought things could get worse. I agree that things SHOULD be cut, but not gunna apologise for getting a safe job when its offered.

This backs up what I said the other day about Cameron being a clever guy. He has convinced people that he is cutting.

You're thinking of the inflation payrise, which has been frozen. You are forgetting the incriment, which is the juicy one. Roughly 1k a year for most bands.

Nope, got no increment either.

In reply to your other post, I don't blame anybody for taking a safe job, wherever it's located.

Public sector has the media behind them so they will suck us dry.

Government can't act its boxed in by the media, public sector, the incompetent party and the unions. Even a paper cut in whitehall and the bbc would be on it like it's going to put old ladies out on the street and the rest of the media will follow so as to not miss the story.

Nope, got no increment either.

In reply to your other post, I don't blame anybody for taking a safe job, wherever it's located.

Hmm must be a trust decision then. Relocate ;)

From the local rag's website:

"30 posts set to go at steel plant"

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/business/jobs/30_posts_set_to_go_at_steel_plant_1_3041318

"Hundreds of staff at council keep jobs"

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/local/corby/hundreds_of_staff_at_council_keep_jobs_1_3041327

It seems the wrong way around to me.

I fear the cuts are a joke and the IMF are booking their flight tickets as I type.

The cuts are a joke in one sense. They are totally insufficient to deal with the national debt, increasing monthly. With no growth, low growth or recession it will get even worse. The Osborne trumpeting that the UK is doing better because of some cuts about to arrive/arriving is simply going to unravel as the Eurozone crisis extends. This is not the ususal recession and return to growth. Sovereign debts are out of control throughout the west. For most countries they will become unpayable if not already.

The cuts are a joke in one sense. They are totally insufficient to deal with the national debt, increasing monthly. With no growth, low growth or recession it will get even worse. The Osborne trumpeting that the UK is doing better because of some cuts about to arrive/arriving is simply going to unravel as the Eurozone crisis extends. This is not the ususal recession and return to growth. Sovereign debts are out of control throughout the west. For most countries they will become unpayable if not already.

I wholeheartedly agree. The fact that Darling stated at the weekend that Merv and Brown didn't think the total economic collapse of 2007/2008 was that serious and it would all sort itself out, just shows what idiots are have governing us.

Will this penetrate my ringfence?

You're pulling our plonkers aren't you?

As I understand it, there are two types of increment: contractual, and non-contractual. The latter have (generally) been stopped, the former have not. It is largely a contractual law issue, and is basically the same reason that public sector pension reforms will protect accrued rights/benefits.

My arms length public sector organisation lacks contractual increments and has had a full pay freeze since April 2010. i.e. no nominal pay increase since the April 2009 award (and not a lot then).

For those of us who have been on a genuine pay freeze, we're well aware it hasn't been universal and are all set to negotiate hard for a corrective pay increase when our freeze finishes.

EDIT TO ADD: From an HR FAQ:

Q) Why have other organisations managed to get incremental progression

during the pay freeze?

A) This is because some organisations have automatic incremental progression as a term in

their contracts. * employees do not have this automatic term in their contracts so

approval to give all employees an increment is required from our government

department.

Q

Edited by Quicken