House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
skomer

Cornwall Stops Second Home Owners Voting

I wonder how many elections this has swung in the past?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8750278/Second-home-owners-banned-from-voting-in-Cornwall-elections.html

"Elections in Cornwall should be decided by people who have a stake in our society – by people who live here and not people who visit for a few weeks."

Locals have long protested against second home owners who they claim price them out of the market and leave communities effectively ghost towns outside of the holiday season.

They hope their influence on local democracy will be removed by the next election.

A less draconian matching last year resulted in a purge of 947 potential voters.

But second home owners said that Cornwall was in danger of "shooting itself in the foot".

"It is quite frightening and risky for local people to ostracise second home owners," said Kate Stinchcombe-Gillies, of Holiday Letting.co.uk that handles 1,739 second homes in the county.

"After all the main industry in Cornwall is tourism."

A spokesman for the Electoral Commission said in principle people should only vote where they have their main residence but there were exceptions where people genuinely split their time between two homes such as MPs and students.

"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8750278/Second-home-owners-banned-from-voting-in-Cornwall-elections.html

"Elections in Cornwall should be decided by people who have a stake in our society – by people who live here and not people who visit for a few weeks."

Locals have long protested against second home owners who they claim price them out of the market and leave communities effectively ghost towns outside of the holiday season.

They hope their influence on local democracy will be removed by the next election.

A less draconian matching last year resulted in a purge of 947 potential voters.

But second home owners said that Cornwall was in danger of "shooting itself in the foot".

"It is quite frightening and risky for local people to ostracise second home owners," said Kate Stinchcombe-Gillies, of Holiday Letting.co.uk that handles 1,739 second homes in the county.

A spokesman for the Electoral Commission said in principle people should only vote where they have their main residence but there were exceptions where people genuinely split their time between two homes such as MPs and students.

"

If you register to vote in two places you are committing a criminal offence that carries a custodial sentence.

Well then Ms Stinchcombe-Gilles, there's something wrong in Cornwall then.

"We let you serve our meals, clean our houses and polish our shoes. You could lose it all if you don't let go of your democratic rights and we decide to leave."

Edited by _w_

Unworkable. Designate your Cornwall home as your main residence (might do already), then still vote in your actual main residence as that local authority won't have this rule.

Unworkable. Designate your Cornwall home as your main residence (might do already), then still vote in your actual main residence as that local authority won't have this rule.

Which means paying full council tax. Even losing the minimum 10% 2nd home discount would typically cost £140 a year.

Question is would you pay anywhere between £140 and £700 a year extra Council tax in order to cast an extra General election vote, Euro election, County Council, and parish Council bote every 4-5 years along with the risk of being prosecuted?

Which means paying full council tax. Even losing the minimum 10% 2nd home discount would typically cost £140 a year.

Question is would you pay anywhere between £140 and £700 a year extra Council tax in order to cast an extra General election vote, Euro election, County Council, and parish Council bote every 4-5 years along with the risk of being prosecuted?

More tickets in the postcode lottery.

Okay so don't vote twice and save a whole load of money. No brainer. Bet most of them don't vote anyway.

If you register to vote in two places you are committing a criminal offence that carries a custodial sentence.

My understanding is that this is not the case: you can register in two places, but you must only vote in one. That was certainly what I was told by university authorities and the students' union when I was a student, when I was registered both at my mother's home address and that of my university home. After I ceased being a student I continued to be registered at my mother's address as well as my own home, because she believes that burglars check the electoral register to identify homes with women living alone in them. I have no idea if this is true or not, but believing there to be nothing illegal about it I have continued this. Needless to say, I have never tried to vote in two places. Though this raises an interesting point - my home constituency is a rock solid Labour seat and Mother's is a three-way marginal, so I suppose I by voting there I would make more of a difference to the election.

What the Cornish are saying is that if you want to vote, you must pay the full council tax. That seems fair enough to me. If the second home owners wish to continue voting in their Cornish constituency, they can do so by the simple expedient of paying their full, undiscounted council tax.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

Okay so don't vote twice and save a whole load of money. No brainer. Bet most of them don't vote anyway.

So its not unforceable. Register for 2nd home discount and you are automatically disqualified from voting rights on the electoral register. I think the point is that legally you can only have one main residence (for the purposes of voting) whether that be Cornwall or Camden and irrespective of how much time you spend in each location.

My understanding is that this is not the case: you can register in two places, but you must only vote in one.

What the Cornish are saying is that if you want to vote, you must pay the full council tax. That seems fair enough to me. If the second home owners wish to continue voting in their Cornish constituency, they can do so by the simple expedient of paying their full, undiscounted council tax.

In respect to General and Euro elections it is most definitely illegal to vote twice. Not sure about County, district and parish. If you are non eligible to vote you should still be on the electoral register but there will be a code indicating whether eligible to vote or not. This is also the case for foreign nationals who can vote in local elections but not national.

So its not unforceable. Register for 2nd home discount and you are automatically disqualified from voting rights on the electoral register. I think the point is that legally you can only have one main residence (for the purposes of voting) whether that be Cornwall or Camden and irrespective of how much time you spend in each location.

Ok so it can be enforces, but so what? Whats the impact? My point being that this will in no way affect my life, the price of housing, etc.

Ok so it can be enforces, but so what? Whats the impact? My point being that this will in no way affect my life, the price of housing, etc.

Its a point of principle really. We have a system (with all its faults) that is one man one vote. If people with multiple residences find they can cast multiple votes then the system loses any sense of equality between the classes.

Perhaps the Wilsons can start block voting on behalf of their 3000 plus tenants? :blink:

Votes choose governments and councils

Governments and councils control housing policy

Housing policy determines housing development

Housing development determines supply of new housing

Supply controls prices

(PS. your posts really show a lack of any brains)

Edit: its not unknown for government to regulate the cost of housing either

Edited by Neverland

Votes choose governments and councils

Governments and councils control housing policy

Housing policy determines housing development

Housing development determines supply of new housing

Supply controls prices

(PS. your posts really show a lack of any brains)

Edit: its not unknown for government to regulate the cost of housing either

You think voting changes housing policy? or that most people vote in local elections. or that safe seats don't exist? This whole thread is an irrelevance.

GL with your dream of changing the world by stopping a few second-homers from voting in super-important local elections tho

You think voting changes housing policy? or that most people vote in local elections. or that safe seats don't exist? This whole thread is an irrelevance.

GL with your dream of changing the world by stopping a few second-homers from voting in super-important local elections tho

Who do you think created "Right to buy" and replaced the 1965 Rent Act

Do you even know what these are and what preceded them?

On yer bike, tard... ;)

Guest eight

Its a point of principle really. We have a system (with all its faults) that is one man one vote. If people with multiple residences find they can cast multiple votes then the system loses any sense of equality between the classes.

Perhaps the Wilsons can start block voting on behalf of their 3000 plus tenants? :blink:

With regards to block voting, I don't think its the Wilsons you should be worrying about.

"

Live there, vote there. Simples.