House Price Crash Forum

How Cheap Are Mortgages Now!

Pauly_Boy

HOLA441

I just had a quick look on first direct and they're offering a 5yr fixed rate mortgage at 3.49% for £1499 or 3.99% fee free!

And I thought I got a good deal at 4.19% for 5 years, I feel depressed now :(

Anyway, if insanely low rates like this can't put some life into the housing market then nothing can!

http://mortgages.firstdirect.com/calculators/compare-calc/products

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

5 yr fixes do see to have dropped if you have a large deposit.

The question is-what happens to prices when the supply of punters with these sorts of deposits runs out?

Imo hpcers are far from typical buyers, most of whom don't have 40k kicking about.

The best time to buy will be literally when the last bear has turned bull.

HOLA445

I just had a quick look on first direct and they're offering a 5yr fixed rate mortgage at 3.49% for £1499 or 3.99% fee free!

Anyway, if insanely low rates like this can't put some life into the housing market then nothing can!

http://mortgages.fir...e-calc/products

what happens after 5 years when IRs will be 5% or 7% ???

HOLA446
HOLA447

what happens after 5 years when IRs will be 5% or 7% ???

A couple of years ago, they were predicted to be in double figures on here, (I was one of them).

Nothing is certain, but I'm guessing rates will remain low as long as the banks are in government's hands.

HOLA448

Mine is 3.9% fixed for five years.....

....ie NS&I pay me 3.9% on my savings.

In days gone by, you would never have been paid more interest on your savings than you'd have to pay out on a mortgage.

We're on an SVR (C&G) that is capped forever at BOE + 2%. Happy days.

I understand said "product" is no longer available, however.

HOLA449

The question is-what happens to prices when the supply of punters with these sorts of deposits runs out?

Imo hpcers are far from typical buyers, most of whom don't have 40k kicking about.

In other words......house prices are expected to fall therefore the banks expect buyers will lose their deposits up to 40% of property valuation...in other words 40% or there about is unsecured lending that is why the rate is so much higher.......a buyer puts 50% down the interest rate is cheap as chips because it is interest money for nothing for the banks, all they need is to cover their costs a bit on top plus a juicy fee....they have the house as their asset if need be. ;)

HOLA4410

Yorkshire BS 5year fix is 3.39% and has been for some weeks. 10y fix is 4.19%. This is not news and is what is supporting the London market in particular (where the deposit is generally less of an issue). Too many on here think prices will fall when rates go up. Rates are not going up. Period. (And if you think they are, then take the 10 year fix and then they don't).

HOLA4411

Mortgages are currently cheap until you realise that if prices fall 50% and you buy now you'll be paying twice the capital and therefore also twice the interest.

I could get a 2.5% tracker if I wanted to buy but no thanks it's cheaper to rent a nicer place for now.

HOLA4412

Mortgages are currently cheap until you realise that if prices fall 50% and you buy now you'll be paying twice the capital and therefore also twice the interest.

I could get a 2.5% tracker if I wanted to buy but no thanks it's cheaper to rent a nicer place for now.

Go on stretch yourself, you know it will be worth it. ;)

HOLA4413

Yorkshire BS 5year fix is 3.39% and has been for some weeks. 10y fix is 4.19%. This is not news and is what is supporting the London market in particular (where the deposit is generally less of an issue). Too many on here think prices will fall when rates go up. Rates are not going up. Period. (And if you think they are, then take the 10 year fix and then they don't).

Accord, who are the Broker arm of YBS and Chelsea, are doing a track and switch - 2 years at 2.19 (unless rates move), followed by a 3 year fix at 3.39.

The only problem is that then you are on the SVR which is at 5.99, compared with a lot of the others who are at around 4.

So if you are tempted in and then (as some friends of ours are finding), not able to remortgage to another deal, you are in a bit of trouble.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Rates are not going up. Period. (And if you think they are, then take the 10 year fix and then they don't).

The government would like rates to stay at this level for 10 years.

However: a) the Tories' core constituency is (rich) OAPs, who are being wiped out by low rates. So politically, the Tories are conflicted, banks and homeowners want low rated, OAPs want high rates. The Tories would like rates to rise to normal levels once homeowners can stand it financially.

B) Events outside the UK can force rates to rise. eg outflows of money into PM, or China, or war. Or banks being again faced with bankruptcy as foreign banks go down. Or QE making the pound fall faster than it benefits the banks. This is quite likely in the medium term IMO, and nothing the government can do about it.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

If mortgages are so cheap, why are the PsTB bleating on about mortgages not being given in sufficient quantities to FTBs, new build buyers and others?

Maybe they are still way to expensive considering wages, childcare, food and other costs.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4419

If mortgages are so cheap, why are the PsTB bleating on about mortgages not being given in sufficient quantities to FTBs, new build buyers and others?

Maybe they are still way to expensive considering wages, childcare, food and other costs.

Mortgage maybe cheap, but houseprices are still too high [outside of the affordable level of most people]

HOLA4420

Last bull turned bear surely is the best time to buy... B)

HOLA4421

Not in London. Rents have gone through the roof in the last 12 months and it is now cheaper to buy. I wish it were different.

I doubt that's true if you think beyond 12 months.Rent is only expensive if you take a short sighted short term view at present. If prices fall only 10% in the next 2 years I bet it's cheaper to rent at the moment.

HOLA4422

I doubt that's true if you think beyond 12 months.Rent is only expensive if you take a short sighted short term view at present. If prices fall only 10% in the next 2 years I bet it's cheaper to rent at the moment.

Farout. I just did the maths (went to a mortgage calculator). Interest only at 3.5% is cheaper than rent! And if I took 10 percent off what I guesstimated the place is worth, renting would be 7 pounds dearer. But I guess when you meant cheaper by what you will have saved.

HOLA4423

You try getting one though, they will think of any excuse not to give you this rate (believe me I have tried)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Teaser rates until the time comes and you get stuck on high SVRs, end of.

Edited by tomposh101