House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vagabond

Good Fantasy Books

So, as reading this thread about Sci-Fi books has given me a few ideas, I thought I'd do the same for Fantasy books which is what I'm reading most of at the minute.

Classics.

Obviously Lord of the Rings is the first book that jumps to mind. If you like fantasy and haven't read it, then shame on you.

David Eddings. I loved The Belgariad and The Malloreon as a teen and I still go back occasionally and re-read them now so they have stood the test of time quite well. The stand alone books on Belgarath and Polgara are fairly decent as well.

A lot of his other stuff I enjoyed (The Elenium and The Tamuli etc) but the main theme in all the books tends to remain very samey.

A song of Ice and Fire by Geroge RR Martin is an obvious candidate (and if you haven't seen the HBO series Game of Thrones do so as its excellent.). I found books four and five to be madly frustrating only concentrating on half the characters and he is a very cruel author, forever making you invest time in the characters before killing them off wildly, but the plot is fantastic and believable and the depth of detail is unreal.

The Dragon Lance books by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. I probably read these before LoTR IIRC. Standard Fantasy format but written very well with some decent homour in there to stop it being too heavy going.

Terry Pratchett. I love his Discworld books and have read them all. Its not hardcore fantasy, very easy reading but his style of writing and humour is amazing and I love the way he weaves our world into his. Still one of my favourites and I'm gutted he looks like he won't be making too many more now.

I know there are some big names left out, but I tend to pick and author and if I like them, read everything they have written. I haven't yet started Feist or Brooks for instance, but they are on the list. As is Hobb. I tried the Magicians series by Trudi Canavan and although I didn't dislike it, it didn't make me want to read her further as yet.

Others and Current Favourites.

Neil Gaiman. I first read his stuff through graphic novels (In fact, I may even have to start a graphic novels/comic thread too) and then realised he had books as well. I loved American Gods and Neverwhere but pretty much everything he has written is fantastic. I like the fact he does standalone books as well, no series to get bogged down with.

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. I have just finished the second book of this and can't wait for the third. Really, if you haven't read it yet then go out and buy it today. Really addictive.

The sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. If anything, a little too long as at the end I just wanted it all to be finished and over with. Still, well written with enough of everything to keep you satisfied.

The Dresden Files are my current read.. I'm up to book 4 or so and I have to say I like it so far. I like the idea of a wizard PI and it belnds the modern world with fantasy really well.

The way of Kings by Brendon Sanderson. Its only just been released and it looks like its going to be a fairly long running series. Strong start, just hope the rest of the series is as good.

Thats about it for the minute. I've probably missed a load out so feel free to add, or point me in the direction of anything else you think I would like.

Edit - Just to add. I didn't forget the Harry Potter series. I just can't seem to bring myself to think of them as proper fantasy though.

Not sure if Micheal Moorcock's The Warlord of the Air is fantasy or SF, so I didn't put it in the other thread, but it's a great read.

You've probably listed some of the best already, even if most of those are pretty dire. People rave about things like the belgariad. I couldnt be arsed with it.

Might also want to consider Philip Pullmans Amber Spyglass +2 and Raymond Feists Magician.

I enjoyed the David Eddings ones.

The Thomas Covenant books were good.

Piers Anthony's books are interesting (funny titles, Blue Adept etc.) but littered with annoying typos, which may have been since cleared up.

I liked David Eddings when I was a kid but the last time I tried reading them I was rather unimpressed.

I liked Katharine Kerr's Deverry series, although that dragged on too long.

Terry Pratchett is brilliant.

I've read quite a lot of fantasy but can't think of much else worth reading off the top of my head, which is a bit worrying.

Shannara series is quite good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Shannara

The Sword of Shannara's events take place 2000 years[14] after an apocalypse has occurred: nuclear holocaust has wiped out most of the planet. During this time, Mankind mutated into several distinct races: Men, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Trolls, all named after creatures from "age-old" myths. Also, the Elves begin to emerge after having been in seclusion and hiding for centuries. The warring that caused the holocaust is referred to as the "Great Wars" throughout the novel. These wars rearranged the planet's geographical attributes and wiped out most life forms on Earth. As a result of the Great Wars, most advanced technology has been lost, thus most of the events in the Shannara series take place in a medieval setting. However, magic is also back into the world, rediscovered after the loss of technology.

Guest eight

Shannara series is quite good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Shannara

The Sword of Shannara's events take place 2000 years[14] after an apocalypse has occurred: nuclear holocaust has wiped out most of the planet. During this time, Mankind mutated into several distinct races: Men, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Trolls, all named after creatures from "age-old" myths. Also, the Elves begin to emerge after having been in seclusion and hiding for centuries. The warring that caused the holocaust is referred to as the "Great Wars" throughout the novel. These wars rearranged the planet's geographical attributes and wiped out most life forms on Earth. As a result of the Great Wars, most advanced technology has been lost, thus most of the events in the Shannara series take place in a medieval setting. However, magic is also back into the world, rediscovered after the loss of technology.

Sounds like John Christopher. Used to love his books when I was at school.

Steven Erikson's Malazan books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen) are excellent, as are Ian Esslemont's books in the same setting.

I'd avoid Brooks as they become extremely formulaic, similar with Fiest (although I'll admit that Magician is very good).

Otherwise R. Scott Bakker is great, but rather dark. I'd also suggest Karen Miller.

If you like your fantasy more steampunk, China MiƩville's Bas Lag books are great.

Sounds like John Christopher. Used to love his books when I was at school.

Prince in Waiting?

Not read those. Maybe when there's an eBook version.

Steven Erikson's Malazan books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen) are excellent, as are Ian Esslemont's books in the same setting.

I'd avoid Brooks as they become extremely formulaic, similar with Fiest (although I'll admit that Magician is very good).

Otherwise R. Scott Bakker is great, but rather dark. I'd also suggest Karen Miller.

If you like your fantasy more steampunk, China MiƩville's Bas Lag books are great.

True this, but it's a good formula.

Read either the sword or elfstones and you have read them all. So ye, do that. :)

Guest eight

I tried to post a link to Essex Property Pages, but failed miserably.

Sorry, am I On Topic?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the bible. Or that other one with the funny name.

Have to mention robert jordan - wheel of time series. Loved the start, got extremely bored towards the middle, getting better again towards the end.

The bloke that's carrying on the series (brandon sanderson) is pretty good too - read the kingmaker books, and mistborn, liked both.

Terry pratchett / neil gaiman combo - good omens. Probably did more towards turning me atheist/agnostic than anything else :)

Jim butchers's fantasy series (codex alera) is good.

Night Angel trilogy i liked a lot - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Shadows-Night-Angel-Trilogy/dp/1841497401

I like the 'Beauty Trilogy' by Anne Rice - she originally wrote it under a pseudonym.

Basically, it is Sleeping Beauty set in a kingdom where BDSM, Domination & submission, etc, is considered normal. It is a thoroughly good read and, as it is Anne Rice, very well written. Very visual.

If you want some fantasy that is very erotic, and not just Sci Fi, I suggest buying the 3 books from Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleeping_Beauty_Trilogy

Guest eight

I like the 'Beauty Trilogy' by Anne Rice - she originally wrote it under a pseudonym.

Basically, it is Sleeping Beauty set in a kingdom where BDSM, Domination & submission, etc, is considered normal. It is a thoroughly good read and, as it is Anne Rice, very well written. Very visual.

If you want some fantasy that is very erotic, and not just Sci Fi, I suggest buying the 3 books from Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleeping_Beauty_Trilogy

Damn! Too late for me to order in time for holiday reading - I fly on Tuesday. John Norman's Gor series was in the same vein I believe.

Damn! Too late for me to order in time for holiday reading - I fly on Tuesday. John Norman's Gor series was in the same vein I believe.

Yes, Gor is similar - you can find plenty of Gor like fiction on-line nowadays - but Anne Rice's 'Beauty trilogy' is far superior in my book.

Terry pratchett / neil gaiman combo - good omens. Probably did more towards turning me atheist/agnostic than anything else :)

And now he wants to kill himself

And now he wants to kill himself

I'm not sure that i blame him - can't imagine coping well with the knowledge that i'll slowly turn into (more of) a vegetable day by day. I'd rather say goodbyes while i'm still capable, then just go away.

Should have mentioned PP in my first post, has some good stuff.

Other than that, loooks like there are some good ideas for where I can read next so thanks all :)

I'll just re-visit this breifly to say that I've just finished 'Among Thieves' by Douglas Hulick. Dark, gritty and very entertaining.

I've also just started the 'Wheel of Time' series. It just looks too long to be interesting all the way through but I'll give it a go.