House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Saab About To Go Under? Bankruptcy Protection Rejected

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/08/saab-denied-bankruptcy-protection

Saab, the Swedish carmaker, has been plunged into chaos because a local court has denied its request to seek protection from creditors, on the grounds that its rescue plan looks flawed.

As part of its application for protection, Saab's parent company, Swedish Automobile, had promised to speed up plans by two Chinese car firms to take a combined majority stake in the business, but the court in Vänersborg district was sceptical. "The court has concluded that there is not enough reason to believe that a company reorganisation would be successful," said Judge Gunnar Krantz. "The company's request is therefore rejected."

Is it finally going to go under?

Good riddance, there are way too many car manufacturers anyway and Saabs have IMHO always been rather cr4p.

And how many of them have you owned, exactly? Or even driven for any length of time?

Good riddance, there are way too many car manufacturers anyway and Saabs have IMHO always been rather cr4p.

Nice sentiment for those being threatened with job losses. Real classy

Saabs always cr4p? Before they got taken over by GM they made cars that rivalled and bettered BMW, Audi etc, in the 70s and 80s.

Prior to General Motors taking over in the early 1990s, Saab produced high quality vehicles.

An old Top Gear with Quentin Wilson driving and commenting in 1996 on a J reg Saab 900 he says "just run-in at 120,000 miles, it will do the same again without even pausing for breath". At 4 mins 28 secs into the video, Quentin says "a 900 can easily cover 400,000 miles as long it has been cosseted".

The final comment from Wilson is "The Saab 900 - built like a Merc, safe as a Volvo, so much cooler than a BMW".

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

There's a word that's much over-used these days, that I tend to avoid.

But the old Saab 900 Turbos (particularly in black) were AWESOME.

I had a beauty for a few years, until it was written off by a 17-year-old chav crashing into it while I was stationary at a junction.

I will always miss it.

Can I say it again?

AWESOME.

In fact, I'll go further, and use a word I've never uttered outside discussions of early Icelandic heroic verse - it was EPIC.

Wrong. Saab's since the GM takeover were crap, before that they were awesome cars.

Weren't they all galvanized boies (heavyweight ones at that) when most of the other makes were not and rusted away? That alone would have made them a good platform for an ultra-miler.