House Price Crash Forum

'ey Up

SarahBell

HOLA441

Just thought I'd pop in and get the collective wisdom on something.

dad's chemo has done one round and is being stopped as it has too many side effects. He's going to be given some radio-whatsit. That's all I know at the moment.

However he's a bit freaked as everyone he knows who has gone to Cheltenham has died after unsuccessful treatment.

So what gift do you get someone on their 70th birthday in these circs? (An ipad2 with a disclaimer on it that it reverts to me when he snuffs it?)

HOLA442

Just thought I'd pop in and get the collective wisdom on something.

dad's chemo has done one round and is being stopped as it has too many side effects. He's going to be given some radio-whatsit. That's all I know at the moment.

However he's a bit freaked as everyone he knows who has gone to Cheltenham has died after unsuccessful treatment.

So what gift do you get someone on their 70th birthday in these circs? (An ipad2 with a disclaimer on it that it reverts to me when he snuffs it?)

I had radiotherapy 20 years ago and I'm still here. So you can buy him something that lasts.

HOLA443

Radiotherapy is an aggressive invasive treatment.

So my belief is that if the medics think there is no hope they will not prescribe it, but normally move on to some mitigating treatment instead.

The fact that they have prescribed it to me means that they think there is a chance it will work.

Some chance is far better than no chance. Be positive, your Dad will need your support.

I am not a doctor (at least in medicine anyway).

HOLA444
HOLA445

What does he like - or used to like when younger - or do when younger ?

Drink.

Drive motorbikes.

Not at the same time I hasten to add.

He's really into techie stuff these days. I thought about a video camera as he was eyeing up mine over the summer but again it's one of those things that makes me think "you could record us a video message for when you're dead..."

HOLA446
HOLA447

See if this treatment is relevant and available.

I used to eat Devon red clay when growing up which is very iron rich for starters, and I had some a month ago when I popped down to visit the area, never did me any harm. :D

Interesting. Thanks

I think we all used to eat mud in the old days. Before the baby wipe brigade went mental and started wiping dirty fingers every two seconds.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Drink.

Drive motorbikes.

Not at the same time I hasten to add.

He's really into techie stuff these days. I thought about a video camera as he was eyeing up mine over the summer but again it's one of those things that makes me think "you could record us a video message for when you're dead..."

If he is well enough maybe a trip to some bike racing day - Moto GP or whatever ? People who like motorbikes love all that stuff. Seems a bit of an obsession.

HOLA4411

If he is well enough maybe a trip to some bike racing day - Moto GP or whatever ? People who like motorbikes love all that stuff. Seems a bit of an obsession.

:) Interesting one!

I shall make some enquiries and then ask my mother as to whether she wants to go with him or send him with one of his chums.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Actually I can imagine what my mum will say. She'll pull a face about him going out with his no good biker mates :)

I think he's probably old enough to be a "real" biker now! ;)

Archived