House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timak

Troughing

I realise this forum isn't always the best place to go for sympathy for public sector workers but here goes....

I've mentioned in the past here that I do some consultancy work in HR systems, both private and public sector.

Obviously I see a lot of data in these systems, until a few years ago the pay scales of the 2 sectors were fairly different with a very large wealth gap in the private sector and quite a narrow spread in the public.

However over the last month or so I'm coming across some absolutely disgusting examples of public sector troughing. All the councils are reviewing pay, however some are doing it in such a Machiavellian manner that you'd be amazed.

One London council I was at reduced the senior management team from 18 to 11 people and trumpeted it as an example of people at the top being sacrificed for the good of the council. However in the mean time, and unannounced the remaining 11 received an average 35% pay rise all waived through by the Tory members which I didn't really understand.

This week they announced the results of the pay review which see the lowest paid losing 10% of their salaries and the highest paid losing 1% (they neglected to mention they'd just awarded themselves 35% so in fact it was a 34% pay rise!) . Walking around their offices is like being in an Orwell book with big posters with the (£140k a year now) Chief executive on and slogans saying "You are our most vital asset" and "Public Service is Our Motivation"

The only solution is for the government to centrally set strict pay bands for public employees. There should be no possibility for council workers to awards themselves any pay rises or bonuses.

I realise this forum isn't always the best place to go for sympathy for public sector workers but here goes....

I've mentioned in the past here that I do some consultancy work in HR systems, both private and public sector.

Obviously I see a lot of data in these systems, until a few years ago the pay scales of the 2 sectors were fairly different with a very large wealth gap in the private sector and quite a narrow spread in the public.

However over the last month or so I'm coming across some absolutely disgusting examples of public sector troughing. All the councils are reviewing pay, however some are doing it in such a Machiavellian manner that you'd be amazed.

One London council I was at reduced the senior management team from 18 to 11 people and trumpeted it as an example of people at the top being sacrificed for the good of the council. However in the mean time, and unannounced the remaining 11 received an average 35% pay rise all waived through by the Tory members which I didn't really understand.

This week they announced the results of the pay review which see the lowest paid losing 10% of their salaries and the highest paid losing 1% (they neglected to mention they'd just awarded themselves 35% so in fact it was a 34% pay rise!) . Walking around their offices is like being in an Orwell book with big posters with the (£140k a year now) Chief executive on and slogans saying "You are our most vital asset" and "Public Service is Our Motivation"

Any chance you could leak this info to the press?

Most excellent example of troughing going on by insolvency administrators or whatever they call themselves now that Plymouth Argyle are in administration.

The administrators consist of accountant Brendan Guilfoyle and a solicitor David Hinchcliffe.

Their fee for their part time work, to be charged by their employers is reputedly £1 million pounds. Now thats magic troughing.

Allegedly they have ring fenced this years gate and season ticket money for the purposes of siphoning off their dues when they pull out.

( so far they have achieved apparently nothing and the PAFC staff have not had a full months pay in 2011. The club has been the target of property speculators and could be liquidated within 2 weeks.)

You can read all about it on pasoti sorry link failed. :rolleyes:

Edited by bricor mortis

Posted on another thread....Council tax payers should be asking probing questions as to where their taxes go 75% of council budgets come from central government....so what are they spending/wasting money on, the average d band is now ~£1400 pa and the freeze is for one year.....what next we may ask ourselves. ;)

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/9240655.Wiltshire_Council_chief_s_job_for_the_chop_/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034499/Council-tax-June-Farrows-jail-pay.html

Exactly what I was going to say!

Sickening these people, defo leak it to the press :P

Actually I don't think it is sickening. It's what you can reasonably expect.

Peoples first loyalty is to their families. Bringing in the money to pay their mortgage, keep their kids fed and in school. Loyalty to work colleagues comes pretty low down in the scale of things. Loyalty to employers similarly. If you haven't discovered this yet then you soon will do, as someone in work tries to shaft you over completely in order to look after "them and theirs". Be prepared and then you won't be as disappointed as I was when it finally happens.

How much redundancy did the 7 'sacrificed' get ? I imagine we are talking 6 figures each.

Posted on another thread....Council tax payers should be asking probing questions as to where their taxes go 75% of council budgets come from central government....so what are they spending/wasting money on, the average d band is now ~£1400 pa and the freeze is for one year.....what next we may ask ourselves. ;)

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/9240655.Wiltshire_Council_chief_s_job_for_the_chop_/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034499/Council-tax-June-Farrows-jail-pay.html

A lot of it is being spent on paying their contractor pals to paint more yellow and white lines on the roads and to instal even more parking meters along with expenditure to gain other revenue streams from motorists. Out and out thievery.

Walking around their offices is like being in an Orwell book with big posters with the (£140k a year now) Chief executive on and slogans saying "You are our most vital asset" and "Public Service is Our Motivation"

If only the proles read books! :lol::huh:

Exactly the same happening with Shropshire Council btw.

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

Guest eight

A lot of it is being spent on paying their contractor pals to paint more yellow and white lines on the roads and to instal even more parking meters along with expenditure to gain other revenue streams from motorists. Out and out thievery.

It's funny you should say that - Darlington is currently getting lines repainted at a scary rate, and it's being done by big teams from a Tyneside company (OK, it's Meadows Road Construction) - wonder what the bill is for a single roundabout? I'm guessing high four figures, but nothing would surprise me.

Walking around their offices is like being in an Orwell book with big posters with the (£140k a year now) Chief executive on and slogans saying "You are our most vital asset" and "Public Service is Our Motivation"

We had one of those in our public sector office (NHS hospital). A photograph of the Trust Board, all sharp suits & rigor mortis grins, beneath which someone had added the neatly typed motivational slogan - "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

How much redundancy did the 7 'sacrificed' get ? I imagine we are talking 6 figures each.

Only figure I saw was for the outgoing chief executive who got "enhanced" voluntary terms of 2.5 weeks pay per year of local government service - 35 years x 2.5 weeks = about £250k plus early retirement final salary pension of about £60k a year.

The proles who are being made voluntarily redundant get "enhanced" 1.5 weeks pay per year of service - changed just after the CE left of course.

Standard redundancy is now 1 week per year of service which I think is statuary minimum terms.

Edited by Timak